Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All moving tailplane

Q:
    Why are some many jet-models made with a horizontal tail-plane with elevator rather than "all moving" tail-plane, that most jets have?

There so many planes I'd love to have, like the Freewing 70 mm F-16, but I don't want because of this issue.

Anyone else share my opinion? Or is it just me?

Originally posted by Viking327 View Post
    Q:
    Why are some many jet-models made with a horizontal tail-plane with elevator rather than "all moving" tail-plane, that most jets have?

There so many planes I'd love to have, like the Freewing 70 mm F-16, the F-86, F-9F , but I don't want because of this issue.

Anyone else share my opinion? Or is it just me?
    It's easier on the servos, easier to engineer the structure, and less prone to problems like the MiG29 has.

Comment

Maybe, but not realistic, witch is why I don't buy them.
      There are dual servos on the A-6 Intruder. And All moving elevators.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking327 View Post
        Maybe, but not realistic, witch is why I don't buy them.
        There are dual servos on the A-6 Intruder. And All moving elevators.
        You asked, I answered.

No-one forces you to buy one.

Comment

Saying “so many” is not really accurate. Take a look at all the jets that Motion sells that mimic the real thing. Of all the real jets that have full flying stabilizers, virtually all of them have a model version that has this type of stabilizer. One of the few examples is the smaller F-16 and as Kallend said, it’s done that way for reasons stated. If you don’t want that version, then go buy the 90mm version, which has what you want. But really, what more do you want?

Comment

I suppose it could be said that realistic looks good sat on a stand in the corner of a room but making it fly within the constraints of the scale of the model and the materials and components available becomes more difficult the smaller the model especially if you want it to fly well and keep it within a certain price bracket. No doubt Freewing or any other model maker will have to take all these things into account. Apparently according to t`internet the F86 Sabre in one version had a full flying stab which gave the plane a tighter turning circle but they kept the stock elevator appearance to try and fool the Russians into not working this out. I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice!!! or is that you makes your choice and pays your money.??

Comment

Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
              Apparently according to t`internet the F86 Sabre in one version had a full flying stab which gave the plane a tighter turning circle but they kept the stock elevator appearance to try and fool the Russians into not working this out.
              Nope - the all-flying tail was introduced to address undesirable transonic characteristics - "[The] elevator of the F-86A had been found to be largely ineffective in the supersonic regime, and recovery from a supersonic dive required very large angles of elevator movement which exerted so much stress that it could on occasion cause rivets to pop out from the trailing edge. Sabre pilots had complained that the flight controls appeared to be "strange" in the transonic speed range. They seemed to "reverse"--if the pilot wanted to pull up and his speed was near Mach 1, the aircraft continued to go down. Several accidents had been caused by this effect, which had come to be known as "control reversal". In reality, the controls did not actually reverse, they simply did not respond very effectively."

Comment

There you go just proves yet again that you cannot believe all you see on t`internet , hence the phrase apparently... I expected someone with deeper knowledge coming back on this so thanks for such a quick response fredmdbud

Comment

Working...
                X