X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to RC Jets with Questions?

It all started with Car Shows being canceled and looking for another hobby this summer. Started flying in August with the Horizon HABU STS Jet. ( By the way this is a great first jet for beginners) This got me hooked big time.................
    Since that time have updated to a Spektrum DX-8 transmitter, Freewing F-15 High Performance 90MM with 4068-1835kV Brushless In-runner Motor.( bought in-runner with Std F-15) with Admiral 10 Ch receiver with remote receiver & Hobby Eagle A3Super3 Gyro. And just got for early Christmas a Freewing F-18 Blue Angels (ARF).
    Now finally the questions: I plan to move the 90MM with 4068-1835kV Brushless In-runner Motor with the 130amp ESC to the F-18.Will also equip with an Admiral 10Ch with remote receiver & HobbyEagle A3Super3 Gyro. Should I contiune to use the 12 blade or switch to the 9 blade?
    As far as a replacement for the F-15 , I am updating to a 8S Freewing 8S 4075-1390kV Brushless In-runner Motor with a 150amp ESC. I currently have a 90mm outrunner 12 blade that came with the F-15. Would the 8S power be better with a 12 blade or 9 blade? Most I see say you get longer flight times with the 9 Blade, but the 12 blade I hear now in the F-15 sounds great.....
    These I am sure will be the first of many questions that enter this clogged mind of mine..... Thanks for the input....

My advice: Stick with what the motor has been designed to use and comes with out of the box.

The 1835kv motor is designed for the 12-bld. Stick with it. You may run into issues trying to use another fan, given at times the motor shaft adapter is not the same size nor is the hole in the fan to work with the adapter. Same for the 8S option that Motion sells. The 9 bld will not give the same performance either. They generally need a slightly hotter wind on the motor to give equal performance.

If you want something more efficient, you'd be best served looking at a Jetfan or similar after-market setup. Even just the Jetfan rotor itself with the FW housing can sometimes work. Sometimes, you can adapt FW motors to fit the Jetfan and the Jetfan uses a clamp-on collet for a 5mm shaft, but interchangeability is not a simple thing between EDF setups. FW makes it difficult with some of their decisions.

Secondly, be careful swapping in the 1835kv motor in the F-18. It's a really heavy setup and you might not be able to get the battery far enough forward to CG appropriately. I'm guessing that you'll need a heavy battery almost all the way forward to make it work. I like that FW motor as it has a lot of thrust, but the flight times are short. For the F-18 on 6S, the HP inrunner motor is actually a good performing option from MRC. I usually don't like the stock power systems but the new 1900kv fan in the F-18 performs well for the type of flying I do with my F-18, where I'm not doing as much post-stall stuff as some others.

Comment

For performance I’d stick with the new 90mm 9blade.

Comment

Dynam 262 elevator throttle mix

Comment

Working...
        X