Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing T-45 Goshawk High Performance Review/build

Hello T-45 Fans,

This is a stunning jet with bold coloring, wish we had more like it! Seemed to be boxed very well. I did notice some slight wrinkles in the right side foam intake, one that sits towards the bottom of the box. Other than that, all was in good shape from a packing/shipping stand point. Right out of the box I was surprised at how few parts there are for such a detailed and complex plane. Especially because of how many extra features this plane has, over and above other models. The paint on this plane and the decal application is good. I would however like to see better painted lines with less overspray. Just an observation compared with lets say the 80mm L-39. As you know this is the latest updated T-45 with the newer larger diameter gear, wing ribbon cable's and the in runner fan/motor and upgraded ESC. Everything on the plane worked just fine, lights, gear, motor, servos. No trouble to report there.
    Attached Files

First 2 issues were the throttle cable and battery lead barely make it into the battery compartment. I swapped out the 6 inch servo lead for a 12 inch lead, on the throttle cable so I could properly locate the receiver. Battery lead, I will just have to live with it. But it sits right over all the wiring for the MFCB and can hinder the canopy from fully seating without pressing it down with sufficient pressure.
    Attached Files

Comment

Speaking of the canopy, The decals were applied crooked on the rear clear section, No biggie. The top of the wings show some slight blistering over the section of the slats, most likely made from the hot glue applied to install them. Wing section over the main landing gear also has a minor hump but hardly worth mentioning.
      Attached Files

Comment

During assembly I hit one snag. The new ribbon cable wing boards come into contact with the fuselage at the point where the servo wires plug in. Please see photo's. I have to carve a section of the fuselage out in order for the two pieces to come together nicely. I am surprised we have not had complaints on this. I personally would not like to see the excessive pressure applied to these boards if one were to "mash them" together.
        Attached Files

Comment

last thing to mention is the leading edge slats. I have an 8 channel radio, DX8 Gen2. This plane with also using an Eagle gyro, pushed it to its limits with the additional airbrakes also included. I knew going in I would have to mix flaps and slats together. problem is, the slats and flaps work opposite of each other. Flaps down, slats would retract instead of extending. To get these to work together on this radio took sometime. First I had to use a servo reverser on the slats. Next, since they are based on a retract style for operation. In or out, no in between. I had to hit usable numbers "travel" on the flap channel to operate them. Making sure they trigger, to open and close properly. This worked against the flaps, in that they now traveled too far. So I mechanically reduced their travel on the servo horn. Unfortunately I ran out of rod length and had to make longer rods. Good news is, it all works together perfectly now.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the plane with slight weathering and some made up rivet details. I first touched up the red paint on the edges with paint from Home Depot custom mixed and the white is the same used on the AL-37 I had mixed up earlier for that project. I then applied clear gloss over the surface to seal the paint. Then made the rivets and used a water based dark grey wash over the whole plane to make the rivets stand out. Lastly a light coat of panel line detail. Final step was minimal airbrushing just create further depth.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the finished product! What a great build and a beautiful jet ! Just waiting for spring to do the maiden.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice job man! It's a great jet you're going to love how she flies.
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

That looks so good! Did you recoat some of the panel lines with white to give them that subtle look? I'm just trying to learn new techniques. I really need an airbrush...

Comment

Originally posted by Tooeleflyboy View Post
                    Here is the finished product! What a great build and a beautiful jet ! Just waiting for spring to do the maiden.
                    Nice job Sir ! Bravo . thank you for sharing !!

Comment

Yes the leading edge slats, Canopy, and the 2 vents on top behind the canopy I painted white to get rid of the plastic look.

Comment

Working...
                      X