Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First EDF

Good evening all,
    I've just purchased a near new Freewing BAe Hawk as my first EDF after flying Warbirds and hoping I've made the right choice...

Ive been flying E-flite planes and the manuals are very clear on set-up however the Hawks instructions aren't as clear, well to me anyway.

Does any have any setup tips? I think I've set the flaps correctly by the book it's just the rates and expo I'm not 100% sure about and obviously want to make sure it's setup properly before it's maiden... šŸ¤”

I haven't flown mine enough to give you the specifics. There is a ton of info on the freewing Hawk threads either here or rcgroups. What you'll find is you want to reduce the throws and I found I liked a bit more expo than I usually go for. And the stated CG is a bit forward.

I'm working remotely but I will look at my setup info for the Hawk tomorrow and post it.

Comment

My CG is at 166. I have one set of rates programmed, my elevator is closer to the high rates but ailerons and rudder are set to the low rates. With 40 % expo. You might have flown it already but if not good flying!

Comment

I am at a loss as to what happened. This was the second flight. It wanted to roll to the canopy on the turns. I couldn't pull it back out on this turn.

Todd

Comment

Mine did something simular and is now in 1 million bits in the bin! It's a shame as it was a really nice looking aircraft with great reviews mainly, maybe one day. I've just bought an Eflite Viper but also have a Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon and a Freewing Venom once I'm confident enough!

Comment

Thing is, this is not my first edf. I fly an Fms F18 with upgraded power and I have a mig-21 which both fly with no issues. I have flown quite a few edfs in the past.

Just strange.

Comment

Do you use any gyro's?
              I've got a couple of Spektrum receivers with AS3X and SAFE as I've only been flying Warbirds up until now

Comment

No gyro on any of my jets.

Comment

Yes, some people use gyros and others don't. I like them and have been setting them up on a switch, or more recently a dial. It can go from calm to gale force within 4 minutes where I'm at.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevpro View Post
                    Thing is, this is not my first edf. I fly an Fms F18 with upgraded power and I have a mig-21 which both fly with no issues. I have flown quite a few edfs in the past.

Just strange.
                    To help prevent this ā€œjust strangeā€ event, search the forum on ā€œferriteā€ or ā€œchokeā€ or ā€œRF chokeā€ and read/learn.

Easy, cheap, light weight potential solution for HIGH CURRENT ESC EDFs! They work! Why would you fly without them?

My personal experience = No chokes and experience ā€œjust strangeā€ crashes. With chokes installed, no more ā€œjust strangeā€ crashes.....in thousands of flights! F-4, A-10, AL37, MiG-29....all have them installed. I lost the A-10 and F-4 before installing RF chokes. No losses since (except hit a lamp post with an AL37...chokes did not help here).

-GG

Comment

Working...
                    X