X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LX B-2 Spirit 64mm Twin EDF

I bought this at an RC swap meet last Summer...Always wanted one but all the horror stories about instability, crappy gear and so on, kept me from purchasing. But I got it for a good price and saw on a build thread that several were having success as long as you set it up right.

The maiden was a success, but just like everyone said would happen, the front nose gear collapsed on the landing, even though the landing was actually quite good. This was a known weak spot. Classic LX...Awesome looking molds, but absolute garbage tinker toy retracts.

I've decided I want to remove the gear and make her a belly lander. I'll seal the front doors closed, remove the main doors and use the main door bays as my grip. The question then becomes, can the stock power setup handle a hand toss? Even if it's a running, strong toss? I can always test it, and assuming the toss is strong enough with the proper AoA, hopefully the worst thing that could happen would be it falling and plopping unceremoniously on the grass without any damage.

Might be a great platform for a Don's Wicked setup? Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has experience with this bird that could offer some insight?
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Here's the maiden...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      ...But I got it for a good price and saw on a build thread that several were having success as long as you set it up right.
      Isn't this true for just about all models and or products!:rolleyes:
      I have to ask is the wing set up with a Northrop twist or Horton Bell shape?

I was saddened to learn that Don's RC had folded up shop. Really liked his service.

Why not swap out the retacts for ones you carry?

All the best,
      Konrad

Comment

I like your taste in music and airplanes!

Comment

Yeah no kidding...The wing uses the opened drag rudders to increase dihedral but I haven't added any wing twist for wash out.

Oh dang, I didn't even know Don closed up shop. Yeah I could replace the nose gear but I'm too lazy to reinforce the whole bay, lol.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad View Post
            I like your taste in music and airplanes!

Why thank ya! :)
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Very cool Todd. Nice bird, nice vid and good tunes. Agree 100% about lx models. I've been unlucky enough to own a couple. They look fantastic, but you need replace everything except the foam to get them to fly reliably. :-S the b2 does look sweet, and awesome profile in the air.

Just curious... Where are you flying in this vid? That's not your house is it? Big complex on its own, out in the pine forest. No neighbours. My kinda living. Bloody big house if it is a house. You must be getting paid too well. ;)

Comment

Oh no my friend, that's a Junior High School, lol! I WISH I had a house that big! (Or do I really?? Maids! Maids! Haha)

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Lmao. ;)

Weird place to put a school in the middle of nowhere it looks like. Ps: Maids sometimes come with extra benefits.... Or so I'm told. ;)

Comment

I got tired of the craptastic LG so I removed them. Had to add a boat load of weight to the nose (ugh) for CG but I did what I needed to do to make her a belly lander.

Well, we have a hand toss success!

Sort of...

My buddy gave her a good toss but as I was preparing, she sunk rapidly and even smacked into the grass but I kept full power and full elevator deflection to see if she would get airborne and by God she did!

She actually flew the best yet...In the brooding rain no less.

The only damage came on the landing when one of the bottom clam shells ripped out on impact as did a small portion of wingtip. Nothing a little CA can't fix. However, I'll definitely need to get some servo arm protectors and maybe some leading edge wedges that absorb the most at point of impact.

I'm going to also add a hole at the center section aft of the bomb bay doors so there's somewhere to put another finger when tossing to help create additional grip and better release. Right now I only have two holes, both on the sides of the outer bomb bay doors.

The good news is with some tweaks, this can be a belly lander!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Glad you ditched the stock gear, it's ATROCIOUS. Convert to the Dynam T-28's retracts, or Eflite's 1200mm T-28's retracts, or better yet as you've found, just hand toss the darn thing. I'd recommend putting the gripping holes about an inch forward of the CG on this bird.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Yeah the grip holes are actually pretty dang good where they are at...I added the center/aft hole which will really make a difference on authoritative throwing. My buddy said had he had that center/aft hole he could have really been able to push off with more velocity which may have been the difference between falling like a rock and holding altitude.

Good to know on what retracts I could substitute but I think I'm now "All In" as a belly lander for her. :D
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Say Alpha, knowing I am totally on my own and we can't cover mods when using power systems for planes they weren't intended for...

What 64mm EDF unit would you recommend as an upgrade to this B-2? I want at least an 8/10 blade setup...
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I am planning on putting these in my B2.
                            Freewing 64mm 12-Blade EDF 4S Power System w/ 2836-3300Kv Motor - E7204 Specifications: Fan size: 64mm Blade count: 12 Blade Motor: 2836-3300Kv Max current draw: 35 Amps Recommended battery: 4S 2200mAh Tech Note: This 12-blade power system requires a minimum 35 Amp ESC.

Don
                            Indoor Free Flight columnist for Model Aviation magazine
                            Jets columnist for Park Pilot magazine

Comment

Well coming from you Don I now know what to put in her. Thanks!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by The Don View Post
                                I am planning on putting these in my B2.
                                Freewing 64mm 12-Blade EDF 4S Power System w/ 2836-3300Kv Motor - E7204 Specifications: Fan size: 64mm Blade count: 12 Blade Motor: 2836-3300Kv Max current draw: 35 Amps Recommended battery: 4S 2200mAh Tech Note: This 12-blade power system requires a minimum 35 Amp ESC.

Don
                                Wow, It's great to see you here! Let me add my welcome!

Now I recall you has the vendor that supplied a dynamic balancer that could be used to balance our rotating groups. I'd like to ask if you are still balancing rotor groups and if not who this vendor was or is. I assume the cost for this tool is still very reasonable less than $200. The loss of this service is one of many things I missed, when you shut down your store front.

Comment

The balancer I used was made by Bob Blackburn. He still sells them they are around $200 shipped form the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    Well coming from you Don I now know what to put in her. Thanks!
                                    My B2 is still in the box but those 3300 are what will go into mine. Hopefully I am not steering you the wrong way :-) I am glad to see your hand launch video. I was thinking of doing the same on mine to save weight. Might use my bungee for the first few flights though.

Comment

The necessary weight in the nose is a bit scary, I won't lie, but with a better power setup I would think she would leave the fingers without incident.

The bungee is likely the best non-gear launching setup.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I ended up tossing her with one motor working...Sigh. I throttled up for pre-flight and it sounded completely normal. That's what I get for not visually verifying both fans were turning. Predictably she ended up torque rolling into the ground at full throttle, breaking her apart into 4 pieces. I glued her back together but when I was checking all the connections, the port motor started smoking. I couldn't see anything wrong with any of the connectors and kept trying and finally both motors started smoking so their toast.

I'm thinking about investing in those 64 motors/EDF units, throwing in some 45A ESCs. If I do, I may as well invest in a new airframe while I'm at it. I could install the new power setup in the old airframe and if it's not successful reborn I can throw the electronics into the new airframe.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                        X