Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Rebel vs Eflite Viper

Hey Guys
    What do you think, FW Rebel or Eflite Viper as my first EDF?
    Do you think that the AS3X gyro is an asset to learn the basics? Or it helps too much getting you out of troubles automatically?

thanks a lot

I think both planes have positives and negatives. But the Rebel is cheaper, of course factoring the spektrum receiver, they are closer in overall price. However, 4s vs 6s, the gas is cheaper for the Rebel. But the 6s the Viper uses are common to other EDFs and 6s prop planes. So there's that comparison.

Quality wise, I'd say the Viper is a little bit better, a step up in quality than the Rebel. There are some modifications worth doing to strengthen the aft wing to fuse connection at the rear gear well. And updating the gear is worthy.

Replacing the Rebel.is cheaper if you bounce it.

I hope this helps!

Comment

I can't say much about Rebel as I've never flown it but Viper in my opinion is a great beginner as well as advanced plane. I've flown my EDFs but to this day it's one of my favorites. I get 5:30 minutes out of a Hobbyking 4200 mah battery easily on mixed thorottle. It was a little hard to see in the air so I painted it and now I can see it from miles away. Safe should be only used only when you get into real trouble so you don't get used to flying with that. I have only used it once but it definitely saved my plane, when last week the winds picked up to about 20 miles while I was still in the air and had to land! After a couple of failed landing tries, I was ready to land it on the grass but remembered I had safe so I switched it on the final and landed safely with a 20-mile crosswind.

You gotta be careful with the hard landings as the landing gear doesn't have any suspension and that translates to the wing cracks. I put softer wheels on it and never needed any support on the wings.

I say get it and don't look back!

Comment

Guys
        thank you very much for your support. At the end i've decided to get the Viper. I decided that the AS3X gyro could be an good asset.

​​​But the receiver is getting me crazy. I have big issues binding and programming the ar636.

Comment

What are the issues?

What transmitter are you using?

Comment

Uu sorry for the late answer
            My transmitter is a Spektrum dx6i. At the end I discovered that the throttle connector on the receiver was broken and that was causing the binding issues. The receiver received power intermittently. Changing the connector I’ve solved the issue.
            I’ve also managed to swap rudder and ailerons channel (I fly mode 3) but the ailerons maximum throw is very small and I don’t know how to enlarge it.
            Also my main gear retracts stopped working, and I can’t understand why. I’ve dismounted them but it looks all ok.
            Finally I don’t know how to make gyro work.

Uff I can’t believe this plane comes out of the box with so many problems :D

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
            What are the issues?

What transmitter are you using?

Comment

Working...
            X