Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an avid rc warbird pilot but new to EDF

All,
    I've been flying rc for quite some time now. The only edf I ever flew was when the habu came out. It was fun to fly and very easy but I ended up moving and got out of rc all together. I came back flying 2 summers ago but only war bird prop planes and a 3d timberx which I am getting my 3d skills in. Knife edges, inverted flying, and just starting to learn to hover. I would like to dip my toes into EDFs. Every thread I have read says to start with an Avanti, l39, or an A10. I have watched videos on all of them and while they are nice they seem like they would get boring kind of quick as they seem slow and pretty easy to fly. Honestly a few of my war birds looked harder to fly and land haha.. If I had to say I was leaning towards one, I'd almost say the L39 because it seems the most nimble of the bunch and you can get it in a military type. I do believe my RC piloting skills are pretty dang good and I think I'd be able to handle a more advanced jet but definitely looking for all your advice. It seems the major difference in planes and EDFs is landing in a high alpha setting. My air field is a rectangle that is 750 yards left to right by 350 yards out with a 250 yard highly maintained grass runway strip that is almost putting green like. What jets do you all think I should go for with out possibly getting bored really quick? I'm in an area where selling planes is not likely to happen (rc is not popular here) so whatever jet I get I will likely be stuck with for some time.

Originally posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    Every thread I have read says to start with an Avanti, l39, or an A10. I have watched videos on all of them and while they are nice they seem like they would get boring kind of quick as they seem slow and pretty easy to fly.
    Avanti S is not slow. Stock it will easily go over 100mph, and with a mild upgrade to the EDF unit it will go 120 - 130. I don't think the L39 is slow either, but I do not have one.

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Avanti S is not slow. Stock it will easily go over 100mph, and with a mild upgrade to the EDF unit it will go 120 - 130. I don't think the L39 is slow either, but I do not have one.
      Yeah I just read that. Surprising as they look like turtles. A couple of my sport planes fly ~90mph.

Comment

What I get out of your post is you know how to fly, know how to do searches, and understand whats good and not so good. I don't see how we can add to that...

What about a composite or something 120mm or bigger?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
          What I get out of your post is you know how to fly, know how to do searches, and understand whats good and not so good. I don't see how we can add to that...

What about a composite or something 120mm or bigger?
          I guess what I was after is if the l39 is truly suggested say over an f16 then I'll go that route. But if an f16 could be landed with my type flying field even not so high alpha maybe I'd give that a try.

Comment

The F-16 has smaller tires. If you get a 90mm or bigger one then it'll have a little larger tires and handle the grass.

The L-39 really is a great all around plane...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              The F-16 has smaller tires. If you get a 90mm or bigger one then it'll have a little larger tires and handle the grass.

The L-39 really is a great all around plane...
              That's what it is sounding like. I'll likely go with the L39

Comment

Just because a jet like the L-39 can fly fast, doesn't mean you have to fly it fast. You can lope it along quite slowly and with flaps, you can just "turtle" it all flight long.

Comment

I'd add the F-22 to a good starter jet list that you won't get bored with soon.

It's got enough pitch authority to do some mild 3D and 90mms have more options than 80mm to really put out some thrust. 8S is a good mix of weight vs. speed. 12S if speed is your main goal (although there are better EDFs if that's the case). The airframe in 6S is very maneuverable and floaty for a good learning platform, but very weight tolerant for higher cell counts, so it can be anything you want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post
                    I'd add the F-22 to a good starter jet list that you won't get bored with soon.

It's got enough pitch authority to do some mild 3D and 90mms have more options than 80mm to really put out some thrust. 8S is a good mix of weight vs. speed. 12S if speed is your main goal (although there are better EDFs if that's the case). The airframe in 6S is very maneuverable and floaty for a good learning platform, but very weight tolerant for higher cell counts, so it can be anything you want it to be.
                    Will it get off the grass field in 6s? My field is well manicured. Grass is mowed about 1inch high

Comment

...I have watched videos on all of them and while they are nice they seem like they would get boring kind of quick as they seem slow and pretty easy to fly.
                      IMHO, the Avanti is a great choice. Yes, it can fly slowly and easily, but it can do a lot more too. I bring mine every week, but also I notice the best pilots at our club keep bringing the Avanti, even though they sold off other jets. To me that means it continues to not be boring, even for a pilot above my level. Some people like the Flex Innovations FlexJet also, but it seems the people I know with both prefer the Avanti. I just looked on their website, and I see they have TV as a standard option. I'm not sure if the ones I have seen were TV or not. Also, if you want something larger/faster there are the HSD jets. I have the twin-90mm Me-262, and I see the 120mm L-39 is shipping soon. But they are super expensive compared to the 80-90mm jets that Motion carries.

Comment

Will it get off the grass field in 6s? My field is well manicured. Grass is mowed about 1inch high
                        I've flown mine off of high (2" tall), wet (Florida Bahaia) grass and even on 6S it'll take off just fine with the 1835kv 12-bld Freewing EDF when it was on 6S.

Now if your runway is bumpy like mine was, it will break the pins for the main gear eventually, as they're not designed to take any shearing forces. They're about $2.50 EA so that wouldn't stop me.

Comment

I've been flying Rc for over 40 years and EDFs for the last 4 years. I started with a Stinger 90 then went to the T45 and then the Avanti. I also have a F18 and an F4. All of these jets go at least 100 to 120mph on 6s. They are not boring especially the F18. I'm flying off a matte runway but I've seen videos of all flying off of suitable grass runways, so I don't think you'll have a problem except that the grass is going to be hard on the landing gear. In other words if it's not mowed well enough and you don't land softly they may rip out.

Comment

Originally posted by SWOFLY View Post
                            I've been flying Rc for over 40 years and EDFs for the last 4 years. I started with a Stinger 90 then went to the T45 and then the Avanti. I also have a F18 and an F4. All of these jets go at least 100 to 120mph on 6s. They are not boring especially the F18. I'm flying off a matte runway but I've seen videos of all flying off of suitable grass runways, so I don't think you'll have a problem except that the grass is going to be hard on the landing gear. In other words if it's not mowed well enough and you don't land softly they may rip out.
                            Thanks. Which of the bunch do you feel had best landing gear or land pretty soft? I'm really contemplating the avanti or l35 now

Comment

If you just want a great flying sport jet that performs well on any surface and can take some abuse, you can't beat the Avanti. I'm sure the L39 would be fine as well even though none of the guys in my club have one. One guy has the T33 and I have flown it. Very good jet similar to the Avanti but like the L39 it has a straight wing design . A friend of mine has the Avanti, an F15, F16 an F22 , A10 and the Mig 29. Of all of them the F16 is the one to avoid. He had a lot of problems with the landing gear.

Comment

Problem is you only know the subset of what’s at your club… what F-16?

Comment

Working...
                                X