X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Venom

I have a Freewing venom, had a very bad crash recently, but had already got all the parts to make a new airframe. all has gone well with the rebuild but I've hit a problem with regards to the Nose wheel retract. The retract unit is new but the nose leg itself is the one from the crashed plane. ive had to cut a hole in the wheel well floor so that i can bolt in the retract flat. but now the wheel protrudes into the battery compartment, so now i cant get my flight pack in because the wheel is in the way. unfortunately the nose of the old airframe was completely destroyed, so i cant compare the old installation with the new one, im obviously doing something wrong just cant work out what. please help!!!!!!!

Take a close look at the how the strut goes into the retract trunion. It's likely bent. Remove the strut from the retract body. You will have to remove the "C" clip on the back side of the strut pin to get it to come out. You will either have to close the retract to see this clip OR, you will have to disassemble the retract body and take the whole strut/trunion assembly out to get the clip out. Photograph everything so you know how it goes back together. Don't lose the clip or the little screws. Use a magnet on the screwdriver and tool you use to remove the clip. Put the strut in a vise or rod bender and bend it back straight. In your case, you may have to over bend it to get it to sit right when on the plane.

Comment

Its not bent, the retract unit is new, only the oleo is original

Comment

Originally posted by neil.v.white@outlook.com View Post
        Its not bent, the retract unit is new, only the oleo is original
        So, what you're saying is ....................... when you put the gear down, the strut is at 90 degrees to the retract body? (Nevermind how it looks relative to the plane.) If it isn't, then the strut pin is bent (the part that goes into the retract trunion). If it is 90 degrees, then the retract mount is not level with the plane after the rebuild. It will have to be leveled somehow or the retract needs to be shimmed.

Comment

It is not bent, it sits at 90 degrees, Im not sure you understand what im asking the fuselage, wings, booms and tail plane all come ready built. the retract mount is perfectly level, ill take some pictures and show you what i mean

Comment

Perhaps a picture or two is the best way to ask your questions. My Venom is hanging on the wall. It would be easy to compare differences. Take of picture from below of the retract/wheel bay and one from above showing the tire protruding into the battery bay.

Comment

Working...
            X