X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing ME-262 Nose Gear shaft

I can't be the only one that is having issues with poor Nose Gear shaft material on the Freewing ME-262. I have a dozen flights this year on this EDF and twice the Nose Gear shaft has snapped. Once on take off from a Geotex runway and the other when landing, having flaired with the main gear touching down first. In both cases, the broken shafts just snapped in two, breaking the landing gear doors. You can't fly this airplane with this situation. The replacement parts are as poor a quality as the original. Is Freewing or Motion doing anything about this?

I have had mine for several years, there is two other guys at my field with them also and have never had a issue with the nose gear.
    Mig your bouncing it onto the nose gear I can see it happening. Check out the how to land jets video through motion , it may help. I have been flying for over forty years and had to change my landing procedures for jets, they land differently.

Comment

Thanks for your comment. I've been flying for 42 years and jets the last 12. I understand the need to flair in a higher Alpha that a prop plane. The issue I've experienced isn't bouncing on the main gear as you don't typically do that on take off. The issue is a pin that is either hardened more than it should be or it is made of pourous material. The knee action of the front gear should be allowed to work before the material of the pin snaps. I also note that replacement Nose Gear pins are not in stock, for the second time this year that I've noticed.

Comment

Flaps

I just had the same thing happen on my T-33 whereas the nose strut pin snapped during turf takeoff on it's 3rd launch since maiden.
        Unfortunately FreeWing has had a on/off again history of brittle pin metallurgy going back to the beginnings of the A-10.
        The fix back then on the A-10 was to use the FlightLine 1600 Spitfire wheel axle. The nose pin/axle I refer to was a 5.1mm diameter pin.
        Since I have a bunch of those I ordered an A-10 nose retract and am gonna put that in the T-33.
        All I have to do for that mod is to open the strut pin hole from 4.1mm to 5.1mm.
        Since the T-33 is easily half the weight of the A-10, I should not see anymore nose pin problems.
        Regards,
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Good Luck! I doubt that Freewing will do much about the issue. They are on a high, selling everything they can build.

Comment

Working...
          X