Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retracts

Hi everyone.
    I'm considering getting the 4S 64mm F-18. My q is, is there retracts I could install, instead of the fixed?
    Best regards

It will be joining my U-2 and A-6 Intruder, Launching from my, 1/10 scale, "steam" catapult.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking327 View Post
      It will be joining my U-2 and A-6 Intruder, Launching from my, 1/10 scale, "steam" catapult.
      V3, that's just awesome. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I doubt this plane was designed to have retracts added and hence, no optional "upgrade" is available. Have a close look at all the pictures of this plane where it shows the underbelly. Also have a look at the spare parts for this plane and see how the landing gear is constructed and mounted. Now go and find another plane of a similar size that does have retracts that fold to the rear. Places like HobbyKing also inventory small generic retracts for most kinds of planes that can take them. Now you have an idea of the structure of the plane that accommodates the stock gear and you will then know how that structure needs to be modified to accommodate retracts. This will involve a lot of foam gouging and reaming out, a retract mounting box will need to be invented and constructed. Then the wires have to run to the interior. Also keep in mind that retracts will add a significant amount of weight to this fairly light jet. Will the power system be strong enough to carry it and fly with it? A seasoned "DIY" hobbyist can likely do it with some effort. Are you willing to do it? You could end up with a scrap pile of foam.
        Since you are using a "catapult", why not just remove the stock gear, don't install the little things that hang down below the plane, line the bottom of the plane with clear Gorilla tape and belly land the thing? That will give you that "no gear" look in the air and be a whole lot simpler and easier to do.

Comment

Xviper.
          The My airfield is rarely cut short enough to take off with "small-wheel" planes, therefore the risk of a foamcloud is always present, weather the planes are too "heavy" or not. That's why I constructed my carrier-like catapult. 425 mm wide and 7000 mm long, using compressed air to move the plan.
          If you look closely at the picture, you'll see, that I mounted rails on both sides of my "hangar deck". Making it possible to launch jet-planes without landing gear, like my Phase3 U-2.
          And the F-18 would do just fine, doing a no wheel take off.

Thanks LB
          I have a FB-site (under construction, and mostly in danish) If you want to see some more.
          "Model Aircraft Catapult"

Comment

^ That being the case, I'm a little confused as to why you enquired about retracts. If you get the plane, just don't put the gear on.

Comment

Sell, I just wanted the retract on the planet. 😁

Comment

Working...
              X