X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freewing AL37 Kulula Airlines flying 101

This was a big project for me. It came out very nice and I love it. Thank you to Motion RC, Callie Graphics, Space Age paints and my wife for her patience.
    I made the mistake of stickering the aircraft when I got it. I had no intention of painting it so it did not matter at the time. I then tried to remove the decals by hand and messed it up a bit. BTW you can just use acetone to remove the decals and not the paint from the aircraft. I took apart everything to paint it so I would not have paint in all the joints and I could get better coverage on all the parts. I could not find the right paint for this so I had it made special from space age paints in Mesa Az. I had them put it into spray cans since I do not have a sprayer for this. I removed all the decals with acetone after damaging the aircraft by trying to just remove them. Sanded it down and painted it. I used a chrome detail tape on the wings because every time I put tape on it, it would pull the paint off. Leaned that with the nacelles. Decals came from Callie and were easy to put on. I messed a few up in placement but that's OK. Once it was all done I coated it with minwax water based clear coat. Landing gear were painted white and one wheel on each side green. I will roll it out next week end at an airshow at Superstition Airpark with the Arizona Modelers club on Oct Some pics and a video of the completed aircraft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211013_155403.jpg Views:	0 Size:	339.2 KB ID:	327195

Attached Files

Another walk around

Comment

Airshow pics not uploading

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380 (2).JPG
Views:	438
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	328007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	328004Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226 (2).JPG
Views:	441
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	328005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349 (2).JPG
Views:	427
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	328006

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	328010Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319 (2).JPG
Views:	431
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	328011Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319 (2).JPG
Views:	424
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	328012

Comment

some more flying 101

Comment

Originally posted by MeyerVW View Post
              some more flying 101
              Love the FPV view! Thanks for posting.
              (You've given me inspiration - now I've got to go build mine!)

Comment

Nice job......is paint? Im from Argentina..... excuseme for me English

Comment

Yes paint. I had it specially made from a paint store. At least the green. The grey is a basic paint from the hardware store.

Comment

Go t her back in the air.

Comment

Took the engine nacelles apart to clean the fan unit and paint. Repairs are done, so some light sanding and paint. Then to repair one wing top. I redid some wingletts and took off rge lower part so the winglett just curves upward. I also painted the marks on the engine in the center. New vertical stab is painted.

Comment

I think I am done with the repair work. The powder and tape idea did not work for me but I did do the wet paper towel idea and it did work. After a lot of cursing and frustration I am done. Just to be fare I am not good and painting these things. Changed the winglets and cut the bottom off and added a swirl thing to the center cone of the engine. I will post some pics in a bit.

Comment

Almost ready to fly.

Comment

She lives.

Comment

Some very close fun today.

Comment

Originally posted by MeyerVW View Post
                                I think I am done with the repair work. The powder and tape idea did not work for me but I did do the wet paper towel idea and it did work. After a lot of cursing and frustration I am done. Just to be fare I am not good and painting these things. Changed the winglets and cut the bottom off and added a swirl thing to the center cone of the engine. I will post some pics in a bit.
                                I have used paper that I dampen with a spray bottle. The type of paper I use is a roll of brown painters paper that they use for masking. I've cut curves on it and wetting as well. And I use a clean t-shirt rag to wipe excess water before placing the paper and before spraying.
                                I'm not that great at painting either and I can give you more pointers as to what not to do, than what to do. Cursing definitely helps!

Your plane looks awesome!

Comment

Love this photo. Amazing shot by Frank Moss Click image for larger version  Name:	kalula edit.png Views:	0 Size:	505.0 KB ID:	338411

Comment

Did some park flying.

Comment

Working...
                                    X