X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anniversary of first flight faster than the speed of sound 10/14/47

For something a little different, for those interested, I'm posting some pics I took at the NASM in Washington, DC in 2015-16, in honor of Chuck Yeager's famous flight. I was a volunteer member of the restoration team for LM-2, the Lunar Module on display there. Concurrently, they lowered the Bell X-1 for some restoration work and cleaning, and it was stationed right next to where we were on the museum floor. I got the permission and opportunity to take some pics of it before it was eventually hoisted back up to the ceiling. One of my favorites is a pic of the hatch. For those who followed the details of this flight, Yeager was injured in a horseback riding accident a few days before, broke some ribs, but kept it a secret, lest they put another pilot in his place. One of his trusted engineer assistants sawed off a broomstick handle that Yeager put in his jacket so that he could use it as a lever to close the hatch handle with his left arm, as it was too painful to move his right arm to do this as was normally done. Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	327242Click image for larger version

Name:	064.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	327243Click image for larger version

Name:	056.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	327244Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2063.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	327245Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2403.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	327246Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7861cropped.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	327247Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2257.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	327248

Probably many are not aware that this famous Bell X-1 flew many more flights at Edwards, and was eventually stuck on a pole outside the main gate until the Smithsonian took it into its collection in the early 1950s. Some of the work they were doing in these pictures was trying to clean up the insides the damage made by welding steel as a framework for the pole. The landing gear was reattached inside as it once was.

Great pics Dave and what an awesome opportunity to get in close with a piece of history!
    Was the broomstick still there, I thought I'd read somewhere that it was inside the plane to this day?
    If it was it's the most famous broomstick, right up there with Harry Potter's Nimbus 2000

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
      Great pics Dave and what an awesome opportunity to get in close with a piece of history!
      Was the broomstick still there, I thought I'd read somewhere that it was inside the plane to this day?
      If it was it's the most famous broomstick, right up there with Harry Potter's Nimbus 2000

Grossman56
      I didn't see the broomstick, but I thought about it when looking at that hatch handle! On another subject, do you have any knowledge on setting up and flying gyros in airplanes? I had another entry this morning where I maidened my Freewing F-15C. Had a noticeable wing rocking that might need a gyro to dampen that out, but I don't have much experience using them.

Thanks,

davegee

Comment

Working...
      X