Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing F-86 (80mm EDF jet) custom nose gear door

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing F-86 (80mm EDF jet) custom nose gear door

The Freewing F-86 is one of my favorite jets out of the Freewing 80mm series. Everything it does, it does well in my opinion. It's a true joy to fly, looks amazing, sounds amazing, and lands with absolute ease.

With that said, there has a few details I have wanted to improve upon such as the large gap in the nose gear section. Freewing went half way on the most forward section of the nose gear door, yet didn't complete the other half of the nose door behind it. In addition, I wanted to swap out the outrunner power system for the Freewing inrunner, which I have done already. Lastly, I closed off some gaps in the ducting that were adding to the already turbulent intake area, so they are more smooth and seamless. The only gaps I've left are the four slivers in the battery compartment, and the cheater hole in front of the fan (this I may test by slowly covering more and more of the cheater hole to see the difference in thrust penalty versus efflux velocity gain).

To complete the nose gear door modification, I wanted to use components I already had lying around in my spares parts hobby box for simplicity sake, and cost factor. I found all I needed to get the job done, which included:

1.) .060" thick Polystyrene plastic sheet to cut a gear door from (purchased on eBay)
    2.) Two Pin Hinges (RCLander single spring pin hinges...although spring action wasn't needed since a servo will be actuating the door in this case)
    3.) Tools/Accessories to get the job done (i.e. Glue, Scissors, Pen, Knife, Z-bend Pliers, etc.)
    4.) Balsa Wood Sheet (to make a "shelf" for the door to close upon, and not allow the door to close too far)
    5.) 9g Servo
    6.) A short Stinger 90 control rod with clevis (cut/shortened and added new Z-bend with Z-bend pliers)
    7.) Wooden ESC hold-down from the F-86 to act as the attachment point on the door for the clevis (cut one end off, as it already has the hole pre-drilled for the clevis to attach to).
    8.) Tamiya Chrome Silver X-11 acrylic paint (which was a nice match).
    9.) Radio with mixing available to tie-in the landing gear and the new channel that the nose door will be dedicated to, or use of a gear door sequencer if the radio will not allow the mixing.

Below is roughly the process I used:

Step 1: I cut a gear door out of the polystyrene and did some trial fitting, and further cutting to get it the right size.

Step 2: I taped the hinges (with the pin part below the door) to the door to get some trial fitment done. I marked with a pen the area of foam on the jet to cut where the hinges will be eventually placed.

Step 3: I cut shallow slivers from the marked foam area and did another test fit of the door with the hinges, and adjusted as necessary.

Step 4: Now came the time mark the hinge location on the door itself to get an idea of where they will be glued. I removed the tape holding the hinges to the door, and glued the hinges to the door in the marked locations, all while being careful not to get glue on the pin-hinge/spring.

Step 5: Once the glued hinges were fully cured on the door, I began glueing the opposite side hinges on the door to the foam of the fuselage in the cut out foam area done earlier. As the glue was curing, I set my jet at a 90 degree angle to allow the door to be flat/horizontal.

Step 6: I cut and glued a small rectangular section of balsa wood that will be my shelf for the nose door, that allows the door to sit on top of, as well as act as stopper from the door being closed too far. Just be sure to cut the pocket of foam deep enough to allow the piece to go in quite far so it has good stability and strength once glued in. You can see this is the picture on the opposite side of the gear door and directly in the middle. After the glue was dry, I painted it chrome.

Step 7: Looking for an easy way to have an attachment point for the clevis on the control rod to the door, I realized the flat wooden ESC hold-down was perfect for me to use. I cut the end off of it while making sure to leave enough area near the hole to keep it from weakening. The area is already pre-drilled, so that was already good to go. I glued this wooden piece to the door in a vertical orientation, and in an area that I absolutely knew wouldn't impede the nose gear while retracting. This is very important, as some test fitting is necessary to ensure the location is trouble free.

Step 8: Now it was time for the test fitting of the servo that will be actuating the nose door. Since the door will be on the left of the aircraft (which is the same side the full size F-86 had the aft section of the nose door on), below that is a thick area of foam to cut out a pocket for the servo to sit in. Some test fitting was needed, and I made small removals of foam until I got the right size pocket to fit the servo in. At this time, the control rod was attached to the servo to see if any further foam was needed surrounding the area where the control rod will be moving, and there was some additional foam trimming needed for full clearance of the servo arm as well.

Step 9: I fit the servo in the cut out pocket and taped it over so it couldn't move while I tested the servos movement with a servo tester. It took some trial and error of different clevis turns, which hole on the servo arm to use, and the control rod length, but eventually the correct combo was found that allows for proper movement. This was all done without actually attaching the clevis to the door.

Step 10: I removed the landing gear servo lead from the receiver, so I could power up the jet and test the gear door with the clevis attached to the door, and began mixing the new channel I put the gear door servo on with the landing gear channel via the gear switch. Once mixed, I slowed the door function down, as well as delayed the gear channel on deployment, and delayed the door on gear retraction so they don't collide. Once the proper radio throws were found, I reconnected the gear channel and tried it all out to ensure 100% proper function. After ensuring it worked, I glued the servo in the pocket, and then taped over it so the glue could dry without the servo moving out of place.

Step 11: Lastly, I painted the gear door and hinges chrome, and did little paint touch-ups here and there around the door on the foam.

I still have to take it for a test flight and see if it all works as planned, but so far, so good. The nose area is much cleaner looking with the completed nose door section. I hope this helps anyone who may want to do the same modification to the jet. There are so many ways to complete this type of project, so this clearly is just one of them. Thanks for reading!

null
    Attached Files

Comment

Although I have already posted this video, I figure it would be good for comparison purposes for when j take a new video after a flight with the new modifications.

This flight was done with the stock outrunner power system, a 4000mah 6S battery, and none of the gaps in the intake closed up. The new setup will sound more quite (unfortunately :)) with the inrunner, as well as lessening some of the turbulent air in the intake. I also forgot to put my hatcam on 16:9 ratio, so sorry for the 4:3

Comment

Hey now this is a nifty design, T-Cat! Well executed, thanks for sharing! You fly your Sabre very well, just like your F-15.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks Alpha! It was a great rainy weekend project. I'm looking forward to getting it back in the air to test it all out.

Comment

Nice job T-Cat! Definitely a mod I will be considering. Now I'm just waiting to see someone add working speed brakes..

Comment

T-Great job on the mod and in the air! :)

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                Nice job T-Cat! Definitely a mod I will be considering. Now I'm just waiting to see someone add working speed brakes..
                Thanks F106! Closing up that gap really made a big difference in the look of the underbody.

I agree, I would love to see some air brakes. When the model first came out, I was hoping those were installed. We may have to make some :).

Comment

Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                  T-Great job on the mod and in the air! :)
                  Thanks T-man! I love flying this jet. It's always an incredible flyer, and these little mods are a blast to do, all while making it a tad more scale and aerodynamic.

Comment

I was able to test the new door out on a handful of flights today. It works like a charm thankfully, and no binding.

With the inrunner setup from Freewing installed, closed up some gaps, made a nose gear door, etc., the jet is MUCH quieter than the stock outrunner with all the gals left open. The the thrust output of the inrunner is a noticeable difference as well. I do love the sound of the outrunner better though and all the dirty air from the gaps in the intake.

Attached are some pictures of the jet at the field that shows the new nose gear door, and the cockpit tub and pilot mod.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bring it this weekend to Apollo, T-cat! I wanna see that bird tear up the skies in all its stealthy inrunner glory.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

If Sundays weather is all good, let's go! I read that the club has an all helicopter event on Saturday. That's not my thing, so Sunday looks like the only day.

Comment

Just did the maiden flight plus one on my FW F86 80MM. Love it! Landings were great and my heart rate is still up!
                          Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Great job Lon and congratulations! Such an amazing jet, right!!

Comment

Yes it is ! My first EDF flights . I warmed up with a couple flights with my Iron Ass. And then two flights with the F86.
                              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

A very nice fellow at the field offered to take pics of my F-86 last week while I was flying and he sent them my way (thanks again if you are reading this). He did a great job and it's great to have pictures like this, as I wouldn't have had them otherwise.

I really enjoy this jet, and it's presence in the air is phenomenal.

Below are pictures of a low pass, flare for touchdown, and Short Field landing approach.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                  A very nice fellow at the field offered to take pics of my F-86 last week while I was flying and he sent them my way (thanks again if you are reading this). He did a great job and it's great to have pictures like this, as I wouldn't have had them otherwise.

I really enjoy this jet, and it's presence in the air is phenomenal.

Below are pictures of a low pass, flare for touchdown, and Short Field landing approach.

Those are really good, what camera was he using?
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Thanks! I thought so too. I saw the camera, but I forgot to check further for what exact type it was. The next time I see him at the field I will ask and post it here.

Comment

Hey Tommy,

My F-86 will be here in a few days. Looking forward to getting it together with a few mods.

Comment

Excellent Gary!! I think you'll love it. It's a great flyer, predictable, and lands with absolute ease. I like half flaps best with low wind, and no flaps used with higher than 10mph winds. The 6S inrunner (and used a Phoenix 125A ESC/Castle 10A BEC) made quite a bit of difference in performance and was worth the upgrade. 8S is not worth it whatsoever in my opinion. Use a CG of 190-200mm (mine is at 195mm. I don't particularly like the CG in the manual, as it needs excessive up elevator neutral position and doesn't land as easily. My elevators are exactly lined up with the fuselage line. My throws are the manuals suggested throws, but I fly them on high aileron and high elevator the whole time regardless of flight condition, and it's not sensitive, yet still allows you to throw around the plane a bit. I stuck with a 4000mah 45C 6S (Glacier) since they are a bit on the heavy side. I relocated the ESC from the stock location to be still in the cockpit but in a longitudinal way instead of lateral, and then I closed up the large gap where the ESC was with strapping tape from the inside if the intake, and then layered another piece of tape on top of that from inside the canopy. That smoothed some airflow and allowed me to move my battery back all the way to the foam block, instead having sit on top of the ESC (which would have had to be done just to achieve the 195mm CG) just to achieve proper CG.

Comment

Working...
                                        X