Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan blade modification

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan blade modification

I am awaiting my first edf jet right now. I’m a machinist by trade and a perfectionist by nature when it comes to components. I am curious if anyone has ever done any work on smoothing the surfaces of their edf fan blades. I love to tinker with stuff and I am already thinking of ideas to improve the performance and sound of the fans. I actually work for a company right now that specializes in plastics and other composites so I have the means to make or modify just about anything. Any input would be appreciated.

I would suggest you calculate the force acting on the blade root of a typical fan turning at full power, and ask yourself if this is something you want to mess with.

Comment

m*r*omega^2

Keep in mind this is just the radial load of one blade. Sum of the radial loads on the entire fan must be counteracted by the hoop stress in the bore of the fan hub. All these are just mechanical loads. You then need to factor in harmonics, because resurfacing the blades will change their natural frequency and you could hit a dangerous crossing. If you want to create your own design out of composites, you must run calculations. Seriously, just leave it alone.

Comment

Something of a perfectionist myself, first thing I learned is that foam edfs are never going to be perfect, and the trick is knowing when to quit

Comment

Working...
        X