X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Rebel V2 Nosewheel replacement question

I need to replace the nose wheel steering arm which has broken. To do this I need to remove the nose wheel leg from the servo housing but I can’t for the life of me see how it is removed from the housing. Anybody any ideas ?

A gear that steers (rotates side to side) is generally held on with a "C" clip that is on top of the trunion. In the retracted position, sometimes you can see this clip. It keeps the gear strut pin from falling out.
    However, to remove the tiller arm (steering arm), you can try to undo the grub screws (hex nut) that holds the strut on the pin and then the steering arm grub screw. There may be 2 such grub screws, on on each side of the strut and on the tiller. Undo the ones on one side, deploy the retract and you'll see the one(s) on the other side.

Comment

Ah, it's a wire gear. I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade to the Vulcan struts? Might be an idea since you're pulling apart the system anyway. Mainly thinking just nose gear, mains look like would take a lot of foam modification.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I can’t see a way of getting the steering linkage on to the wire strut other than removing that minute c clip
        which could be a bit of a nightmare.

Comment

Here is the strut parts: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...uts-fj20511084
          The middle one is the nose strut. Notice the groove on the end of the wire? The C clip goes there. If you can't get at it with the retract together (in the retracted position), then you can take the two halves of the retract body apart and take out the strut/trunion assembly. Note how it sits before it comes out so you know how to put it back. Once out, you can access the clip. From there, removing the tiller arm should be obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            Here is the strut parts: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...uts-fj20511084
            The middle one is the nose strut. Notice the groove on the end of the wire? The C clip goes there. If you can't get at it with the retract together (in the retracted position), then you can take the two halves of the retract body apart and take out the strut/trunion assembly. Note how it sits before it comes out so you know how to put it back. Once out, you can access the clip. From there, removing the tiller arm should be obvious.
            Thanks very much, I’ve sorted it now. Managed to get that tiny C clip off quite easily. Didn’t realise that the Rebel has the same steering arm as the Avanti for which I had a spare so I didn’t need to have ordered one.

Comment

deleted cross postings

Comment

How did you remove the C clip? I am facing the same issue. Did you remove the trunion somehow or were you just able to remove the clip with very small pliers?

Comment

Originally posted by mikedkelly View Post
                  How did you remove the C clip? I am facing the same issue. Did you remove the trunion somehow or were you just able to remove the clip with very small pliers?
                  I can't say how others do it, but I use a glass etcher with a very sharp, fine point. That gets the "C" clip started. Slap a magnet onto the tool so you don't flip it across the room. In any case, you need a very hard instrument with a sharp point. Another option is a dental pick.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedkelly View Post
                    with some small pliers. Lost it for 1/2 hr after the C clip flicked off, be careful!

Comment

Working...
                    X