X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diving into 64mm EDFs...

I have been flying off and on for about 7-8 years now, my current fleet comprised of a few e-flite UMX prop planes (Beast, parkzone t-28 UM) a UMX Habu 35mm edf which I absolutely love flying but is too small to keep track of sometimes, and a 1.1m Parkzone T-28 Trojan which I also adore because it's big and fast. I've been in love with the idea of a 64mm jet from the very beginning. I originally had considered the F9F or the Sabre for cost effectiveness. But I have had my eyes on the Freewing Stinger 64mm since it came out, and had all but decided on it. Mainly due to it being 4 channel (i don't use rudder all that often, but it's nice to have) but reading some posts in these forums and some reviews I'm not totally sold anymore. But I seem to have that problem with all of the Freewing 64mm jets...they all have issues according to the forums and reviews. Looking at the 4S versions, they all seem to struggle with the newer 12 blade fan, although that might've been from the original swap to it where the old motor was used....I'm not totally sure. It's difficult to decode the last 5 years worth of reviews and posts....

That being said, what would you guys recommend for a first 64mm EDF? Doesn't have to be freewing but that's what i've mostly been scoping out. I care about speed and performance a decent bit so am mostly considering only 4S options, although cost is also a factor, freewing 64s are about my budget. I'm not totally opposed to 3 channel bank and yank, but 4 channel preferred. What are my options here? So far I've perused the F22, f18, and Stinger reviews and posts for the 4S versions. Thanks guys!

I have quite a few of the smaller jets, some better than others, some superb. In no particular order my favorites are

xfly T7 Eflite F15
    Eflite umx mig (miglet)
    Arrows T33
    Eflite citation
    Freewing Sabre
    Freewing Panther
    Freewing F22
    Freewing F105
    Freewing Crusader

First off, don't get the Eflite F16 64mm Texas it is rubbish. Terrible ground handling, terrible flying plane unless you do surgery. It just isn't worth it.

Moving on to the good stuff

Converting the panther to 4s is essential and a bit of a pain. But is so worth it. You will need to cut out the battery tray and lower it and replace the power system. I recommend the one used in the elite F15. I'd recommend the same for all the Freewing 64mm planes. That's because we are at a mile above see level and routinely see air densities above 7000 in the winter and 9000 in the summer. Your conditions may not require nas much power as we do.

The Eflite f15 is easy to fly and it's only drawback is blue camo on blue skies kinda work sometimes.

The Freewing F22 is a lovely little plane. Though, even the hi power version lacks oomph. I still fly mine stock, but my buddies have all upgraded theirs and they fly circles around mine. Still One of my favorites and one of the best and easiest flying planes

The Arrows T33 is spectacular. Gobs of power and looks cool. Can be hard to see. It glides forever. Other than visibility this one is nearly perfect

The Xfly T7 is also superb. Plenty of power, good visibility with red tail. The only drawback is that it is hard to hand launch, so you need to use the gear. This plane, though is probably the best all around in terms of easy to fly, plenty of power, visibility etc.

Comment

These P15s are awesome.Plenty of speed on 3s . https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...t-pnp-fj11011p

Comment

Get the Stinger. It was great when it came out as a 3S plane, better with the 4S 5 or 6 blade fan and even better with the 10 or 12. I have mine on 6s and still love it.

Comment

ArrowsRC has some nice 64mm 6S units in some of its models. I'd look into those. You probably aren't looking for a twin 64, but the Arrows MiG29 is pretty nice and performs well.

Comment

The Arrows 6S 64 is what I put in my Stinger, great upgrade.

Comment

Oh wow, lots of replies already lol. Let me see here…

Def not going to be able to afford dual 64mm jets really only looking for the $120-$180 single unit range. I don’t really want to have to convert anything so panther f86 mig15 ect are off the table I suppose.

E-flite f-15 I haven’t looked into yet, I’ll take a look.

f-22 looks a blast to carve around but I’m a sucker for vertical. Do any of the 64mm jets have true unlimited vertical?

t33 looks neat and the video I saw they were using 4S on the stock ESC. Tempting. Only 50mm though? Surprising for the performance.

t7 looks and sounds cool, but I have to be able to hand launch as runways are a bit far and few between around here.

ive heard stinger is hard to hand launch too but others said a 45 degree underhand toss is plenty enough launch. Hmmmm.

thank you guys for the feedback and if anyone has any more feel free!

Comment

Gotta say the e-flite f-15 sure is tempting especially with AS3X receiver already on board…..would def have to sticker/repaint it though as I have lost rotation on my bright yellow habu before haha…SAFE really saved it as it went over a massive church and out of sight. I expected a pile of foam and was greeted instead to the plane belly up in some grass. It landed itself on pavement and slid into the grass. Zero damage; still my luckiest escape yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  Get the Stinger. It was great when it came out as a 3S plane, better with the 4S 5 or 6 blade fan and even better with the 10 or 12. I have mine on 6s and still love it.
                  can the stinger on 4S vertical? And is the hand launching as bad as some have said? I may end up just buying an AS3X or equivalent receiver and a stinger 4S…or I might get the e-flite f15 although I’m still not totally convinced on it either.

Why is this so hard .-.

Comment

Originally posted by Endersmens View Post

can the stinger on 4S vertical? And is the hand launching as bad as some have said? I may end up just buying an AS3X or equivalent receiver and a stinger 4S…or I might get the e-flite f15 although I’m still not totally convinced on it either.

Why is this so hard .-.
                    The 64 that I have with the most power is the Arrows T33. It is set up for hand launch and is plenty fast at our altitude at 1/2 throttle. It zooms up quite nicely. I installed an AS3X forward programmable receiver in mine
                    Strategic use of paint can make it easier to see if that is a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

The 64 that I have with the most power is the Arrows T33. It is set up for hand launch and is plenty fast at our altitude at 1/2 throttle. It zooms up quite nicely. I installed an AS3X forward programmable receiver in mine
                      Strategic use of paint can make it easier to see if that is a concern.
                      Oh the T33 I looked at was 50mm. There’s a 64mm version?

Comment

Yes and no, it’s very easy to launch.

Why is this so hard .-.

Comment

Oh the T33 I looked at was 50mm. There’s a 64mm version?
                          My bad. It is 50mm, but out performs most of my 64mm so I forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

My bad. It is 50mm, but out performs most of my 64mm so I forget.
                            Fair enough.

Well on happen-chance I found someone who is having a moving sale on aircraft and I have the chance to buy a 1100 P-47, hobby king katana 50mm edf and a 80mm fMS futura for a mighty good price which is very tempting. Might have to pull the trigger on those lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X