X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free wing F-14

Hi there I'm having trouble with my F-14. I've made sure the batteries are charged. I have the power switch in and the receiver linked with my controller. But when I plug in the batteries it beeps and have no lights? What is wrong here please help

What's this "power switch"? Which "lights" are you referring to - LEDs on the plane or the light in the receiver? More details would be helpful.

Comment

The BEC powers your receiver and on to the servos and ESCs. The BEC has it's own plug that needs to be plugged into the receiver. Any slot, many use the bind port after binding.

Comment

There is a power switch that came with my controller it's a Futaba T6K-V3S 8 channel controller. And yes all the lights on the plane. The frist time I had just the red lights on the wing and the body. And would beep at me. But now I have no lights on the plane and still beeps

Comment

Originally posted by Steve2769 View Post
          Hi there I'm having trouble with my F-14. I've made sure the batteries are charged. I have the power switch in and the receiver linked with my controller. But when I plug in the batteries it beeps and have no lights? What is wrong here please help
          Insufficient information.

Which power switch? Type of radio? Are the flying surface controls working or are they dead too? Have you bypassed the wiring distribution box? Where is the UBEC plugged in?

You'd probably get more help in the existing F-14 thread instead of starting a new one.

Comment

There is a power switch that came with my controller it's a Futaba T6K-V3S 8 channel controller. And yes all the lights on the plane. The frist time I had just the red lights on the wing and the body. And would beep at me. But now I have no lights on the plane and still beeps
            Futaba T6K-V3S is a transmitter. It would help if you used standard nomenclature. So where does this "power switch" go?

Comment

So what you mean is that you turn on the TX, right? How do you know that the RX is bound to the TX ("linked" as you call it)? Sorry, I'm not a Futaba user, so someone else will need to help you. The terminology you use somewhat suggests that you are new to the hobby? Or just new to this F-14? Or both? If you're new to the hobby, this F-14 might not be the best plane to begin with, but that's not what this thread is about, so ....................................

Comment

From what I understand it goes from the receiver to the UBEC

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with xviper, that if you really don't understand your radio system (and it seems that you don't) then the F-14 is probably not the right plane for you at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post
                    I'm inclined to agree with xviper, that if you really don't understand your radio system (and it seems that you don't) then the F-14 is probably not the right plane for you at this time.
                    it will be a quick flight...
                    sounds like he may have inadvertently entered ESC programming and not gotten out of it right after calibrating the throttle...
                    i've only done that a dozen times... rx beeps continuously after binding and none of the controls work the plane's servos. I did it again tonight on the F5 somehow as well... got out of it by rebinding and recalibrating, but what a pain in the butte...

Comment

Thank you everyone but I got it figured out and everything is working now

Comment

Got to ask, how many other planes do you have under your belt? Or is this your first electric?

Comment

This is my frist real plane. I know alittle crazy to start off with the F-14 but I love that plane and since I can't own the real thing I figured this is the next best thing

Comment

I don't want to sound mean or cruel but this plane, even when set up properly, is not an easy plane to fly or land, especially for a "first real plane". It can be twitchy, unpredictable and do things that you may not be ready for. It's considered a plane for intermediate to expert pilots. In fact, the product webpage clearly states: skill level - EXPERT. I consider myself lower level intermediate and believe me, they aren't kidding about their classification. I strongly suggest you find someone who is a good RC pilot go with you and check everything out and be on hand to take over in the event of "trouble". Otherwise, take a couple of strong, garbage bags with you. This is one of the more expensive foamie EDFs that Freewing sells. Repair parts are also NOT cheap. When it came out of the box, it probably didn't look like much but when stuffed into a garbage bag, it looks like a lot .................... of pieces.
                            Best of luck and use much caution. It's powerful and heavy enough that if it gets away from you, it could kill someone.

As an after-thought, it might be wise to keep this thing and just admire it for a while till you get more air time. Horizon Hobby is about to release their new UMX Eflite F-14. That might be a better beginning. It's supposed to come out in May but I think the first batch is sold out and they are now taking orders for August. However, a hobby shop may have stock from the first batch.

Comment

I do appreciate the wise words and I will be very careful with it because yes it was expensive and I do have RC experience with my Nitro cars and yes planes are much different. I have flown Helicopters as well. But once again I realize it's a whole other ball game

Comment

Damn, I wish I had more to say to help, but I'm afraid it would fall on deaf ears.

Please have somebody film your maiden flight and post the footage on the original F-14 thread found here: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...-tomcat-thread

Comment

I have 21 EDFs in my basement, from a simple Dynam Meteor to complex like the Eurofighter with canards and vectored thrust. However, the one that worries me the most when flying is the F-14.

Good luck!

Comment

Steve,

Not for nothing, but you need to think about how you're going to feel looking at your prized possession in an unrecognizable pile of white foam and wires. I admiral the gutsiness of starting out with an EDF - it's the same path I took a year ago. However, for $149 (today is the last day of the sale), Horizon has the twin 30mm Citation and it's an awesome little bird (normally $199) you can get into for not a lot of dough and learn how to fly these. Their A-10 is also a better place for you to start with EDFs if you don't mind spending up and an A-10 - any A-10 - is a really cool, forgiving bird to learn on, especially Horizon's because of its features that are geared for guys like you and I. I'm on my 2nd E-Flite A-10 (first one I used as a trainer and I've bequeathed it to my buddy Dave who's also just starting to learn how to fly them) and it's my absolute favorite to fly. I have the much bigger Freewing A-10 as well that i will be programming SAFE and AS3X into when I finally get around to putting her together, but I'm in no hurry because I don't want to damage her and I'm not ready for her yet either. The F14 (literally just finished watching topgun at 530 this morning) is such a cool plane, but among all RC EDFs, it's probably the hardest to fly for even an experienced RC pilot, let alone guys like you and I. Shelf that one for now and learn on something less expensive. You'll thank all of us later if you do. If you don't, you'll probably end up heartbroken and pissed off with a pile of unrepairable junk and spare parts.
                                    Just my 2-cents worth of unsolicited advice...

Comment

Thank you for the input I do have a flying club near me a yes I do plan on getting lessons on flying it before I go out on my own cause yes it would suck big time to see it recked

Comment

Thank you for the input I do have a flying club near me a yes I do plan on getting lessons on flying it before I go out on my own cause yes it would suck big time to see it recked
                                        I'm sure you probably know this already, but you and an instructor can probably link radios when you're learning in case the instructor needs to take control to avert an incident. Most modern Tx's have this feature...

Best of luck, brother...!

Comment

Working...
                                        X