X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Viper???

This is directed more towards the Motion Rc guys, I know you have the 90mm Stinger but has there ever been any thought to making a 90mm Viper? Hsd's new Viper pro seems to be good quality but i feel if freewing came out with one the quality would be top notch. Dont get me wrong the Stinger looks and flys awesome but there is just something about the way the viper looks in the sky. What do the rest of you guys think?

Hi Krause88, it's a fair question that we've been asked once or twice before. The Viper Jet is a popular aircraft for many reasons. It's curious that there are fewer than six full size aircraft in operation throughout the world, yet in the RC world the aircraft is very popular. So popular in fact that several other manufacturers already offer a Viper in many sizes and power formats, from 50mm EDF to 50 pound turbine. HSD's 90mm Viper Pro is a good quality jet already (I've owned both the V1 and the Pro), and Freewing isn't likely to release the same plane in the same size and similar detail level than is already on the market. Instead, we'd prefer Freewing focus on developing aircraft which haven't been produced yet, to attract and satisfy another portion of the market.

The Freewing F-16, T-45, and a couple others were exceptions to that strategy, but in general, most of Freewing's offerings in the past ~3 years have been more on the rare side, to give people more diverse options and to fly new things. A-6 Intruder, Fiat G-91, DeHavilland Venom, Yak-130 Mitten, F-104G Starfighter, Mirage 2000C-5, F-5 Tiger II, F-15C Eagle, F-14D Tomcat. Each of these were intended to be the biggest or most scale or overall best versions of that aircraft in the foam electric class than has been seen before. That trend will continue...
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I have two 90mm Vipers by Taft Hobby and they are good flying planes. They are very unforgiving if one is new to jets. I have had mine for over three or so years now and still get a "kick" flying them. You will have to shop around to find one for a good price. I purchased mine for Philip at PW-RC. Not sure if he still carries them now.

Comment

Alpha you are right, I just got caught up in thinking about how cool it would if freewing would develop one but from a business aspect it does not make sense and Freewing along with Motion Rc are doing just what they need to do to try to dominate the market in high quality, scale EDF's, and let me add you guys are doing a great job.

Comment

I also have the Taft ViperJet. It's a great flyer now, but initially when I first got it, I found it to be somewhat under powered. Having replaced the powertrain with the one out of the 90mm Yak 130, the plane has much more "grunt" and flies with more authority although the top speed has not changed dramatically. The other thing I didn't like about the Taft was the retracts. The nose retract was somewhat weak for grass operations and the steering mechanism was (IMO) "goofy", with a more complicated linkage than necessary. Having since replaced it with a different nose gear from another plane and making it deploy front to back, the gear can take a considerable amount of shock load when landing. The steering mechanism of the replacement gear is also more conventional and works without the previous problems of hanging up and getting stuck. The main retract mounting points were also quite weak for grass operations and needed reinforcements. The attachments for control surface horns is comical at best. Luckily when one fails and falls out, the plane is so forgiving (and with double redundancy), it can be flown and landed safely. I'm sure if Freewing tackles this plane, these deficiencies would be well taken care of. Not sure what the market is like for this plane at the moment. It may well be flooded with product and a new rendition may not sell enough to be a worth while venture.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
            Hi Krause88, it's a fair question that we've been asked once or twice before. The Viper Jet is a popular aircraft for many reasons. It's curious that there are fewer than six full size aircraft in operation throughout the world, yet in the RC world the aircraft is very popular. So popular in fact that several other manufacturers already offer a Viper in many sizes and power formats, from 50mm EDF to 50 pound turbine. HSD's 90mm Viper Pro is a good quality jet already (I've owned both the V1 and the Pro), and Freewing isn't likely to release the same plane in the same size and similar detail level than is already on the market. Instead, we'd prefer Freewing focus on developing aircraft which haven't been produced yet, to attract and satisfy another portion of the market.

The Freewing F-16, T-45, and a couple others were exceptions to that strategy, but in general, most of Freewing's offerings in the past ~3 years have been more on the rare side, to give people more diverse options and to fly new things. A-6 Intruder, Fiat G-91, DeHavilland Venom, Yak-130 Mitten, F-104G Starfighter, Mirage 2000C-5, F-5 Tiger II, F-15C Eagle, F-14D Tomcat. Each of these were intended to be the biggest or most scale or overall best versions of that aircraft in the foam electric class than has been seen before. That trend will continue...
            Maybe it's time to revisit this 90mm Viper since nothing is out there anymore other than the Taft which is not up to par with today's standards. Would love to own a 90mm Viper from Freewing

Comment

Working...
            X