X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH Venom landing technique.

Just love flying the Venom but struggling to get consistent good landings. Just wondering if any more experienced Venom fliers have any tips. Quite often when I land ( grass strip), it will settle nicely and then bounce. Haven’t tried landing flapless yet and wondering whether that might be the way forward and maybe I should keep a bit more power on during the flare.

Landing this jet can be tricky insofar as the "bounce" is concerned. I've got trailing link mains on mine and it still occasionally bounces. If it bounces and lands hard enough on its nose gear, something will break. The only way to find out if you get a better landing with or without flaps is to try. Do it without flaps a couple of times, then with 1/2 flaps and then with full flaps (which I'm sure you've done already by the sounds of it). Get a good straight run at the runway when coming in and once starts to slow down and it's a few feet off the ground, reduce power to almost nothing and as it drops more, put more and more elevator stick to keep the nose up until it touches down. Doing it on a smooth, hard surface can be even more challenging.

Comment

There was a lot of discussion about landings and bouncing this plane when it first came out over on RCG.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Landing this jet can be tricky insofar as the "bounce" is concerned. I've got trailing link mains on mine and it still occasionally bounces. .
        Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’ve already replaced the nose gear twice after bounces. Have you got a link for the trailing link mains you’ve fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’ve already replaced the nose gear twice after bounces. Have you got a link for the trailing link mains you’ve fitted.
          Sorry, it's been years since I did it. They're trailing links off another Freewing jet. Take a look at the Avanti, etc. You will need to remove foam in the wheel wells to make them work.

Comment

Ok thanks 👍

Comment

From day one of flying this gem I’ve used full flaps for landing. With a 3 degree approach the plane settles in great and it’s a completely power off approach. In the flare if judged just right it’ll give you a grease job every time. There are occasional times when when idle thrust is needed but rarely. You’ll find full flaps really slows it down, no need to come in hot with this plane.

Rich

Comment

Working...
              X