Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-22 64mm dual EDF conversion

Hi folks!

I’m new in the EDF world and I ordered my first FW F-22 64mm jet. The main purpose of this platform is to be used as a represente demo plane for our USB2RC interface. Here a uncut demo of the system: https://youtu.be/L_21r6xz2tw

So, why the F-22?
    Well, at the place where I used to fly, there is no paved or nice grass runway, so a robust plane has to bee choosen for hand launch and belly landing. I got through all FW planes and found the F-22 be the most robust one.
    The parameters was a mid-wing airplane, to avoide leading edge dammage on landing, a upward curved nose to facilitate landings and a robust fuselage.
    Another problem was to find a place for the Matek Flight Controller and the DJI camera/TX with a pan/tild mechanism. The F-22 provides a detachable cockpit, so easy to change or to modify (a 3D Step file would help a lot to design 3D printed stuff for the cockpit, anyone have it?)

Give this introduction, I would like to ask if it could be converted to a dual, lets say 50mm EDF, to increase efficiency? I know nothign about EDF, so don’t blame me with my questions ;-)

Another topic is the control surfaces. The original F-22 use the horizontal stabilizer also as elevons, in some manouvers. Are there any expertise in this?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

My initial thoughts on the conversion to dual 50s is that the performance should go up and make it a very interesting bird indeed. Not sure about battery life though as I recall 4s 2200 is about as big as will fit. Twin 50s will drain it quick, especially for FPV. I recall getting something like 3 minutes on the 4s high power stock version as I had to be at full throttle the whole time to power it at my altitude.

It's a great little plane and a lot of fun.

I have a couple of 50s lying around, I might see what happens when installed into the mini F22 for myself sometime.

I like the fpv chair. Looks like fun.
    ​​

Comment

My consideration is to eliminate the bifrcuted inlet and outlets. In theory two fans with dedicated in/outlets should be more efficient. For the battery I would see to use my actual 4s 3700 mAh packs. May be Alpha could give some comments about it?

I’m flying at 60-80m ASL, so almost full density :-)

where are you?

Comment

Interesting project. To me it sounds like a lot of work that will make it fly worse. But the price is low so do it and let us know how it works.

Comment

Yeah, that's the point. may be a lot of works for the trash can! So everyone is welcome to add his comments and doubts :-)

Comment

i've got the 64mm F22 & F18 i'll sell cheap when you need another plane...

Comment

I'm in Europe, so the shipping fees will probably exceed the planes worth ;-)
              Why do you sell it? Are you not happy with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxibus View Post
                I'm in Europe, so the shipping fees will probably exceed the planes worth ;-)
                Why do you sell it? Are you not happy with it?
                I just started flying last year. Began with an Eflite Carbon Cub RTF and moved up from there and one of the next phases was this class of plane (64mm F22, F18, & Eflite F15). I flew the sh*t out of all three, but I've moved up a couple of notches from them and I don't see me getting much use out of them. The F22 was / is fun, but I have the 90mm large version to fly now if I want to fly an F22. Same with the F15 & F18s. I have way too many planes now aside from these as well.

Comment

Oh, 90mm versions! Cool. Unfortunately I have no way to use it as I have no paved or grass runways here. My 64mm F-22 just arrived today :-)

Comment

Look at getting the F8 Crusader Freewing has...
                    That is one fun little bird and pretty fast for its size...

Comment

I did, however no space for the FC w/o a lot of work and modifications. Flight Controller is a must if you do FPV. This was one of the points in favor of the F-22.

Comment

Opened the F-22 64mm. There is no way to modify it to put two 50mm EDF. So this project is closed.

Comment

Why is a FC a must for FPV aircraft? I don't have one in any of my airplanes. Here are some of them. Most are now digital and have head tracking. If you need more room go to a bigger aircraft. If you are worried about grass bigger with bigger wheels is typically better too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359 (1).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	347772Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	347765Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	214
ID:	347766Click image for larger version

Name:	markings 4.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	347767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	347768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	347769Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	347770Click image for larger version

Name:	NRJM2731.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	347771

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            Why is a FC a must for FPV aircraft? I don't have one in any of my airplanes. Here are some of them. Most are now digital and have head tracking. If you need more room go to a bigger aircraft. If you are worried about grass bigger with bigger wheels is typically better too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359 (1).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	347772Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera.jpeg
Views:	246
ID:	347765Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	214
ID:	347766Click image for larger version

Name:	markings 4.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	347767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	347768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	347769Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	347770Click image for larger version

Name:	NRJM2731.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	347771
                            what's an FC...?

Comment

Evan D If you watch the video I posted, you see why an FC (Flight Controller) is very useful. I used it primary for safety if you should get a video blackout, so just press RTH (Return to Home) and you bird will come back. As a side benefit, you get the OSD with speed, altitude, home direction, battery level, pitch and more.
                              Oh my Good, how many nice birds!! I like the Bronco :-)
                              Did you never tried the DJI Goggles for your FPV? You will never look back to analog video! ;-)

Comment

I understand your use but again, not an essential item, as you say it is useful especially in an emergency . I will not use DJI, personal reasons. I use Sharkbyte/ HD Zero digital.

Comment

I'm also no a big DJI fan, however the Caddx/DJI Goggle combinations is in my opinion the best on the market right now. I also have the Sharkbyte/ HD Zero digital, is ok, but far away from the Caddx.

The FC is useful with the OSD if you do formation flying or dog fight because you can coordinate the altitudes. Sometime you look around and the buddy is under or above you ;-) So just ask his altitude...

Comment

I understand your use but again, not an essential item, as you say it is useful especially in an emergency . I will not use DJI, personal reasons. I use Sharkbyte/ HD Zero digital.

Comment

Working...
                                    X