X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing 64mm F-22 Raptor - iNAV Build Thread

To play with my USB2RC box, till now I used the ZOHD Dart 250 FPV bird (https://youtu.be/L_21r6xz2tw). However to better present the HOTAS setup, a nicer representative fighter bird shall take the place of the Dart. After looking for week for a suitable platform, the decision falls to the F-22 64mm. Why?
    In my place we haven't a paved or grass runway, just wild grass field, so the aircraft must be hand launched and belly landed. So a robust mid-fuselage wing version with a upsweep nose would be perfect. Would be good if it could be disassembled for easier transport, have space for the Matek Flight Controller and FPV Caddx digital video system, and I will try to reuse my 4s 3700mAh packs. The F-22 64mm offers all of this requirements. So ordered one from Motion including a spare fuselage.

The iNAV flight controller will be used for:
    1) Autolaunch operation
    2) Return to home in case of failsafe or video blackout
    3) Telemetry OSD for altitude, speed, home direction, voltage, current, mAh, pitch angle
    4) first tests on "Automated Flight Controls" like on the original F-22 using iNAVs "Logic Conditions"

Here the direct comparison between the Dart and F-22 64mm:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dart-F22-comparision.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	348098

Well, after finally getting my 64mm F-22 I started inspecting the spare fuselage I ordered as a prototype build up unit. At the first look it seems well made for that price. However soon I got very disappointed by the aileron and elevator servo cables! Really?? FW made a "Y" cable for both elevator and ailerons? Ok, I could accept it for the elevator, but come on FW, the ailerons shall be distinct.
    So first I started to replace the aileron cables using the original as a pull and guide help. I combined the original wires with the news using a shrink tube:

Name:	Aileron-Servocable-replacement.png
Views:	549
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	348097

Unfortunately I had no enough cables to also swap out the elevator cables. Will do it next time.

The perfect location for the flight controller has been found, with GPS on the front:

Name:	Matek-location.png
Views:	305
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	348099

I decided to hide the servo and ESC cables under the battery, so I cutted out a cable duct on the back and under the battery compartment:

Name:	cable-cutouts.png
Views:	313
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	348100

As soon I get further I will post the results. Any ideas, suggestions, doubts, etc are warm welcome.

Name:	3D_parts.png
Views:	298
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	348969
    Finally arrived! The 3D print parts for the F-22. New nose gear cover, ESC cover and all parts for iNAV and FPV gear :-)

Comment

Some update:
      - New landing skids and ESC cooling
      - A first view of the internal wiring
      In the nose there is flight controller and GPS

Name:	Internal_wiring.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	349155
      Attached Files

Comment

Like what u did here ... I also plan to put a flight controller running INAV in my f22 ... What FPV system did u install?
        Also do u have a link to the 3d printed parts ?

Comment

Working...
        X