X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-39 Battery Choices

So I'm looking to buy the Freewing L-39... and wondering which battery setup to go for, between the Admiral 5000 and 6000. I understand the 6000 has more flight time of course but how much does it hinder the performance in the air, and more importantly for me, the takeoff roll? If you have flown with both, how do they compare?

It depends on how you're going to fly the thing. If you fly it with mixed throttle, the difference between a 5.0 and 6.0 Ah will be about a minute. If you fly it "pedal to the metal" the whole flight, the difference isn't going to be very noticeable. It also depends on what surface you fly off of. This is a very strong performing plane to begin with and off a smooth runway, you won't be able to tell. Off grass, you might see a bit more length to get off the ground. After all, the difference in weight is only about 115g (4oz). Having not giving us any of these details, that's about as good an answer as I can give.

Comment

I get almost an extra minute with a 6000 vs 5000 or 6200 vs 5200. I also get almost another minute with a 8000. The L-39 flies great on all of them and the weight even of the 8000 is not really noticed.

But let me say I will not buy an Admiral (or Spektrum) battery. There are too many better value batteries. Let me say there are a lot of discussions on what is the best battery and most agree SMC are the best. But best value is another thing plus best usually means it'll be heavier. Also batteries come and go quickly and what you may be happy with today may not be available or it may have changed when you go to order another.

My current go to in the 5000 size are Power Hobby. They have a really good 5200 50C that weighs 645g at $88 (they do have some discounts and cheap shipping). For my EDFs that need a lighter/ smaller pack Power Hobby has an awesome 5000 100C that weighs 575g at $120. Both have been performing really well for me.

In 6000 I really like the Socokin 6000 60C that weigh 830g and are $$72 on Amazon. I also have ESpeed and Hobby Star 6200's. The ESpeed is no longer available but weigh 760g. The Hobby Star are 790g and $110 on RC Juice. The 8000 I have are Hobby Star and 920g and $190 (they were much cheaper when I bought them and Hobby Star has weekly sales).

All that said I believe in trust but verify when it comes to batteries. What someone else (me included) recommends may not work for you. Plus measure your battery area carefully when thinking of larger batteries. My recommendation is read up on what people recommend and buy one to try, if you like it buy five, ten, or a dozen, again it may change or not be available when you go to buy more later.

Batteries are a hot topic. Only surpassed by discussions on the best connector.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned, or at least added in my bio, that I live in the UK, so it is practically impossible to get any Power Hobby or SMC batteries, likewise with any USA only manufacturer. HRB batteries are available to me however, although I'm not quite sure what to think of them considering the vague information and lack of solid reviews that surround them.

I will be flying off of what can be described as a relatively smooth gravel surface, so I am led to assume that the rolling resistance will be minimal; I only ever fly off grass when it is dry and short anyway, so it is unlikely that I would be regularly using it. From your comments I can only conclude that the difference is very minimal and I shall be weighing up both capacities on cost and quality.

Comment

Same rule, buy one and try it. If you like it buy more. I have had both good and bad luck with HRB...

You can add your location in your info.... Welcome to the forums too.

Comment

I have HRBs myself as they are easy to buy from Amazon and at a good price point. I use their 6000mah, 6s and 6000 mah, 2s in series in my 8s jets. So far, they have worked out quite well although they don't give the same "punch" that my ChinaHobbyLine batteries do for my 6s jets. I also use HRB 5000mah, 3s in series in my 6s jet applications, but I find they get quite warm and don't have the same punch as a single 6000mah, 6s.
            I think you can buy CHL from their international warehouse shipped to UK. These are also my primary LiPos that I prefer as it's difficult (but not impossible) for me to get the SMCs in the sizes I want.

Comment

I’ve been flying my L-39 with Admiral 5000’s and find the performance very good even with a RunCam on the belly. Today I tried out an SMC 5300 and although lighter I found no appreciable difference. Both flight times were 3 minutes with both 40% remaining. That’s at half throttle with light aerobatics. Personally I’m good at 3 minutes.

Rich

Comment

My L39 will be arriving today- does anyone know what kind of runtimes I can expect on my 6s 4000's?
                I have 5000 and 6000's but was wanting to keep her relatively light.

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angels View Post
                  My L39 will be arriving today- does anyone know what kind of runtimes I can expect on my 6s 4000's?
                  I have 5000 and 6000's but was wanting to keep her relatively light.
                  Take a look at post #7 above…..

The answer = short

-GG

Comment

Hey GG, yeah I was thinking 2 minutes and bring her in.
                    Will do some test runs on the ground even though the motors won't unload and will draw more current- it'll give me a ballpark.
                    May have to go with the big bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Take a look at post #7 above…..

The answer = short

-GG
                      I have the same problem with emails...🤣🤣🤣

Comment

L-39 3 minute flight wheels up to wheels down with an Admiral 5000 mAh battery, post flight 41% left. That gives me a go-around if needed.

Comment

Just replaced my l39camo I lost two weeks ago. I had around 150 flights on that plane. Thanks motion for awesome jets and stand up customer service. Going to maiden fathers day. With a 6k admiral pro battery, I get 4 minutes of flight, half stick cruising and at least 3speed passes. Plane performs well with this pack. Love this freaking jet!

Comment

I’m getting 5 on a 5200. I start the timer when I apply throttle to begin takeoff (radio does it automatically) and the 5 minute mark goes off as I taxi up after landing.

Comment

That's impressive off a 5200. Is that just cruising or full bore? What name pack is it? Have thought of trying some different packs . my admirals are holding up well considering how much I use them and they are about a year old.

Comment

Power Hobby, I like them and have 10 I use as 6s and as 8S with a 2S in series.

Variable throttle but doing a lot of high powered aerobatics with the L.

Comment

Working...
                                X