• Show
Clear All

I wish I had a friend named Mike.

Looks amazing. Can't wait to see and hear about this more

Comment

Thanks man! Re-maiden soon...
      Tom

Comment

3 flights yesterday that went great- the jet handled beautifully and the thrust on tap was excellent. Half throttle or less was plenty for tooling around so flight times were about 5 minutes and everything came down cool. I was surprised that only a bit of down trim was needed (nothing in roll) as the shaping of the wingtips and elevons was a "that looks about right" kind of thing. It's funny how quickly the model appears to be moving in the video as it's really quite relaxing to fly, which at my skill level is good. (Russ just couldn't follow the airplane on my phone so it's a short clip.)
        Now that I know this Vulcan fly's so well it's time to break out the spackle, polycrylic and paint. As bummed as I was 2 weeks ago about the crash I'm now equally happy- it's not easy, this aerospace!
        Tom
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWw66Ix9Xg0​

Comment

Painting is pretty much finished but for a few touch-ups (thank goodness)- lightweight spackle and sanding followed by 2 coats of polyurethane and sanding and then the white underside and gray were sprayed with Tamiya paint. I was planning to spray the green as well but the masking tape was lifting the gray in places so ended up brushing it with a colour matched latex from Home Depot, which looks ok from a few feet away. Panel lines will be be applied at some point.
          Some details were added- the inflight refueling probe, antennas which also act as pulls for the hatches, and scalish exhaust nozzles which hide the EDF ones a bit.
          I made a light for the nose strut which will help on final approach as well as red strobes on the top and bottom. Markings were ordered from Callie today so I'm looking forward to getting them on, at which point the Vulcan will be done. I hope there's a weather window to get some flights in with it painted before winter sets in- fingers crossed!
          Tom​
          Attached Files

Comment

Pogo, congrats on coming back from your early disaster and the excellent rebuild. Well done.

I have been contemplating doing this Vulcan for a while.

Two questions: what retracts did you end up using? (the specified Turnigy retracts are out of stock).
            Also, exactly where was your final CG position?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

just found your thread. Very Nice! We need more Vulcans.

Comment

Being a big Vulcan fan myself, I thought this was a great thread!
                So, like many of us, we want to know what you did to correct the CG. Or was it the CG or was the thrust alignment out?
                Enquiring minds want to know

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                X