X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4s battery alternatives

Wanting to try out some new battery's, mainly to save on the postage from motion RC. Seen some at the same price within the UK that's next day delivery, however the C rating is up at 10-200 instead of the 30-35C rating. Is this a huge difference in terms of performance.new to RC jets so still gaining knowledge on what's what

Originally posted by Marcus1642ad View Post
    Wanting to try out some new battery's, mainly to save on the postage from motion RC. Seen some at the same price within the UK that's next day delivery, however the C rating is up at 10-200 instead of the 30-35C rating. Is this a huge difference in terms of performance.new to RC jets so still gaining knowledge on what's what
    What brand are those? I'm pretty certain that those numbers are highly exaggerated. The C ratings stamped on the label of most LiPo batteries are suspect. The only brand that's close to what is on the label is SMC where the label says 40C and the actual load tested rating is 38C. Most jets need above 30C for good performance and to get that, most brands need to be at least 65C or above to get it.
    Buy your batteries based on real world load tests and base your decisions according to what you are flying and what kind of performance you want out of them. Big numbers are a marketing thing to sell batteries. A typical 30 - 35C labelled LiPo is likely only giving you 10C or less.

Look at these tables:

Comment

And hard case packs are even more inflated as far as the numbers. Do not use car packs in a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        And hard case packs are even more inflated as far as the numbers. Do not use car packs in a plane.
        Agreed! The owner of SMC once told another forum user who lives in Florida that hard case packs and those meant for racing quads have artificially inflated C ratings (like 150C to 200C) because guys who do cars and quads like to see big numbers even though they know it's fake. Something about the psychological advantage.

Comment

They post it on their (SMC) site too.

let me add that just because someone tests a battery and it does well, actual valid quantitative testing) doesn't mean that another of the same battery or any other of that brand will. Battery "labelers" get different cells that go into their batteries and the makers change things very frequently. Also I have heard that SMC is having to switch suppliers for their cells. I see some batteries they used to sell are no longer available and others now are including a line of HV packs.

My advice has always been buy one, try it yourself and if you like it buy 6, 10 or whatever because you don't know if the next time you buy it it will be the same.

Comment

and others now are including a line of HV packs.

My advice has always been buy one, try it yourself and if you like it buy 6, 10 or whatever because you don't know if the next time you buy it it will be the same.
            I have been very impressed with the Coddar HV LiPos lately and I have a couple of SMC HV on order. They weigh a lot heavier than the Coddar but I am still very interested to see how they compare.
            The world of LiPo batteries appears to be in flux of late. It's hard to know what we're getting anymore.

Comment

Been using Coddar for over a year (but I use a lot of different brands). Don't have any SMC.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                What brand are those? I'm pretty certain that those numbers are highly exaggerated. The C ratings stamped on the label of most LiPo batteries are suspect. The only brand that's close to what is on the label is SMC where the label says 40C and the actual load tested rating is 38C. Most jets need above 30C for good performance and to get that, most brands need to be at least 65C or above to get it.
                Buy your batteries based on real world load tests and base your decisions according to what you are flying and what kind of performance you want out of them. Big numbers are a marketing thing to sell batteries. A typical 30 - 35C labelled LiPo is likely only giving you 10C or less.

Look at these tables:
                https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons
                It's hobbyrx.co.uk

I'm totally knew and only got a couple 4s 2200 admiral.pro battery's. Like I said the postage for 3 is 60 bucks !! Seeing 2200 battery's with a 120c rating for the same price including shipping, my question is will these be ok to run or will they damage any running parts of the jet. Is there a difference between RC jet battery's to RC car battery's ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus1642ad View Post

It's hobbyrx.co.uk

I'm totally knew and only got a couple 4s 2200 admiral.pro battery's. Like I said the postage for 3 is 60 bucks !! Seeing 2200 battery's with a 120c rating for the same price including shipping, my question is will these be ok to run or will they damage any running parts of the jet. Is there a difference between RC jet battery's to RC car battery's ?
                  I've never heard of that brand, but then, they may be a UK exclusive branding. You can't damage a model plane with too much C. I think of battery numbers as follows: Mah is like the size of a gas tank (L or gal.) in a car. "C" is like the size of the fuel line that takes the gas from the tank to the engine. Besides, in real terms of actual C under load, it's really hard to get a LiPo that can carry more than about 40C to 50C anyway, no matter what the label says, so only worry about whether or not the battery can provide enough C. Your 120c battery is likely only providing about 20 to 25C.
                  You can damage the electrics is you give it too many volts. If you have a system that was designed to run on 4s, going to 5s or 6s could very possibly and likely to fry something.

Comment

Been using Coddar for over a year (but I use a lot of different brands). Don't have any SMC.
                    How are those Coddar’s holding up?

Comment

Very good.

Comment

Working...
                      X