X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS 64MM F18

Hello everyone! I've done some research and haven't found anything yet but does anyone have any landing gear upgrade ideas that would fit on the FMS 64MM F18?

The stock gear is fine but I'm shooting for a more scale look when in flight. I dont want to belly land and scuff up paint or damage the model just to get the view of no gear while flying. Set of retracts would be sick also!

Cheers Click image for larger version

Name:	20230120_210731.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	367695

I would checkout RC Castle. They have a big assortment of aluminum landing gear struts. But from my past experience I tried tinkering (adding aluminum shock absorbing struts) with the freewing version of the F18 and F22 64mm size and found that they didn’t perform as well do to the additional weight and increased aerodynamic drag! I think the money would be better spent jumping into the 70mm edf aircraft.

but by all means the tinkering is the best part of the hobby..next to flying!!

Comment

Hi 406. I tend to agree with Steven . I think his assessment is bang on. I like the 64 class as they are trunkers and can go wherever in the trunk for a quick flight. Having said that, there are small planes with retracts that should be available in spares. Otherwise I just add very lightweight fibreglass and polycrylic to create a nice skid plate for the belly.
      I of course will be intrigued to see what you decide on and how it works. So experiment and keep us posted 406. If you find a solution , I am sure many of us would look at upgrades.
      Best of Luck
      Bob

Comment

The 70mm is definitely coming to the hangar soon! Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated!

Maybe ill try and cut down the stock gear and mount it the same way the nose gear is currently mounted with a solid strut and tension screw to keep the weight down a little bit.

I'll do some tinkering and see what happens and update this later down the road.

Comment

Skid plate would also be a great idea! Thanks Bob! If the gear solution doesn't work out I'll probably go that route.

Comment

Thought I'd update this thread now.

Looked into the retracts a little more and did some measuring and there just isn't enough foam on the intake for structure integrity IMO. I think a hard landing would just push it thru.

Just going to leave it as is and go for the 70mm with the bells and whistles. I appreciate the input from everyone! I am ordering the 64mm f16 tho so I'll probably go with the skid plate idea on that one from Bob.

I did however extend the battery hatch to allow a 4s 3300 for extended flights. CG is absolutely perfect. Average about 11 min flights in the cold weather right now after batteries are warmed up prior to flight. 20-35° F
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20230124_191733.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	368332

Cheers fellas

Comment

Working...
            X