X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing F14 build

Well it showed up today and I decided I couldn't wait to get started. It appears to have made the trip unscathed and in excellent shape. I have a lot to do on this one before it ever hits the air and plan to use this space to document the process, get advise, and field criticism.

There will not be daily updates but I do plan on getting a few things done quickly. First things first, I removed the stock power system 100% including the BEC. Not sure what I'm going to do with these but its not staying here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230223_173157.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	371538

Name:	20230223_173338.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	371536

Name:	20230223_174252.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	371535

Name:	20230223_180253.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	371537

Attached Files

There are already two active threads on the F-14.

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post
      There are already two active threads on the F-14.
      Yes, I've read them both. Maybe I misunderstood the way things work here. Are individual threads for builds frowned upon?

Comment

Nope, go for it. I want to see where you go with yours.

Comment

I am going to use this space to document the weight difference in parts replacements that I am doing. New items will be listed as I remove or acquire replacements.

One thing I plan to do for sure is replace the upper and lower wing platter plates with modified units made from carbon fiber as part of the strengthening process for the fuselage in that area. I removed the stock assembly from the plane yesterday and I can confirm that the stock aluminum plates are 2.5mm thickness. I was originally planning to use 3mm CF to make the replacement plates but I am not sure now if the extra thickness will interfere with anything. I am going to have to do some looking before I buy the CF plate. I can get 2.5mm CF plate and will do so if it comes down to it but would prefer the 3mm if I can make it work.

Stock (weight in grams) Aftermarket
          109 ESC 156
          323 EDF fan assy 373 (INCLUDES AFTERBURNER LED)
          92 Lower platter plate
          20 Upper platter plate

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230224_172052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	371767

Comment

So what edf and what ESC are you going with? What other mods and changes?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              So what edf and what ESC are you going with? What other mods and changes?
              I am replacing the fans with FMS 80mm V3 12 Blade Pro 3665 2000Kv EDF. I decided to go with these after seeing the video below. After a bit the #'s start to get pretty impressive compared to stock. The guy test both stock and upgraded fans in the video. Truth be told the fans in that video are the V2, 2100kv and the ones I purchased are V3, 2000kv with a slight (on paper at least) increase in performance. so the fans in the video aren't exactly the same as what I bought but it should be the same or slightly more powerful. Esc wise I'm putting in a pair of spektrum avian 100a ESC's. Other items on the list as of right are main wheels and possibly a new front assembly.

He mentions the futura a lot in the video because this fan is what comes stock in the futura jet.

Comment

Cool. BTW there is no breaking in a brushless motor, go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  Cool. BTW there is no breaking in a brushless motor, go for it!
                  I've no doubt to that but there's no denying the guy got better numbers after running it for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by dk91105 View Post

I've no doubt to that but there's no denying the guy got better numbers after running it for a bit.

Could just be battery temperature. He didn't appear to control for it.

Comment

Either way it wasn’t that his motor was breaking in.

Comment

I'm reverse engineering the lower plates right now and I'm kinda stumped. Generally when I do stuff like this I have found that unless things actually need to be in a specific spot the people who design the parts will use nice round numbers and dimensions for placement and spacing of holes, features, etc... using this reasoning I can measure the diameter of a hole, the spacing between 2 holes, or the overall dimensions of the part and quickly determine if the dimensions are going to be in metric or standard. The dimensions usually just have to be close to make the determination as there are things at play like tolerances. Well.... this plate is all over the place and not really close to either standard. It's like they just popped holes wherever. It seems more like its hand made although that seems ridiculous to me with the volume of these things produced. So I put it on the machine and am currently hitting it with the probe to see where everything it exactly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230226_194601.jpg Views:	4 Size:	195.2 KB ID:	371980

Comment

Ok, this is what I'm thinking.... After watching the RCinformer video https://youtu.be/M1gcECZESg8 on the grass field upgrades which goes over in depth the process of replacing the lower platter plates with the larger ones. Part of the video also covers adding more cross braces to link the plates together and I couldn't help wonder to myself why can you just ditch all of them including the stocks and have 1 plate that spans the entire area? I have a preliminary drawing made up and I have already noticed several edits I need to make but the point is clear on what I intent to do. I am going to integrate the mounts for the wing sweep servos right into the platter itself as well. This will allow me to trade off a little more weight for all the extra plate. Thoughts?

Name:	lower platter.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	372244

Comment

Sounds like a great idea!

Comment

Double post

Comment

I really like prototyping with this 1/16" lexan. It's cheap, clear, and cuts easy. The clear allows me to overlay it and see exactly how all my features line up and what edits I need to make before I start cutting expensive material. I see a few tiny edits of hole placement that I need to make but otherwise for just being cobbled together from 1 of the original plates being measured its really close. I need to change the angle on the extensions that go to the rear and extend them a bit as well.

Name:	20230301_173943.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	372331

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

I think I got my lines and hole placement down. Only took 2 revisions to dial it in. I left the corners sharp for the time being as its easier to edit when they come to a point. I also will update the weight list with a new addition. I replaced the main wheels and saved 32g total between the 2 wheels. I also did some preliminary calculations about the plate swap and while I don't have the actual plate cut in hand yet I did some research on weight of the material and its looking like after I remove both the stock aluminum plates, 2 cross members, and the one carbon rod I will be looking at a wash in weight. There was a calculated 6 gram total difference. The only thing I don't have an actual weight on is the replacement plate. I'm sure it will be a little different than I calculated but who knows in which direction. I have also to this point not added any lightening holes like the stock plates have. I am sure I will be looking at a wash or a little less weight if I add some of those.

EDIT: I guess there is a time frame on editing older post. I cant revise the weight list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230302_173955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	372406

Comment

Working...
                                    X