X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing A-6 maiden flight and impressions

Maidened my Freewing A-6. Needed lots of elevator (up) trim. First landing, too slow and bounced it. Second flight, flaps, kept power on, greased it. Third flight full flaps in cross wind. Ok landing but messed up after touch down. Second day, two flights with ordinance and drop tanks. Way slower, but had no problem on climb out. Landings with about 25% power and full flaps. This plane likes take off flaps and power on/full flap landings! Cut off the foam tips on bombs and replaced with short fat pop-rivets. Also made bomb rack magnetic so I could fly with pylons in place wo ordinance or tanks. Love the plane. Looks great in the air. Landing gear awesome. Not fast, but it's an attack plane. Using 4000 mah 60 c battery (4 1/2 minutes) placed About 1 1/2" forward of the rear bulkhead. Moved the battery forward about 1/2 " when ordinance and tanks on. Stock CG location per the manual. Up elevator mixed in with full flaps.

Nice detailing, it really gives this bird that extra "pop"! The fuses on the bombs are extra icing on the cake.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Nicely done with the detailing. I have a new one that has not been maiden yet. Perhaps I will look at more detailing now.

Comment

The A6 was the nicest naturally rotating EDF I ever owned. A total cruiser in the air too, but the weak gear was it's downfall.

Comment

I only fly my jets on a paved runway. I belong to two clubs: one has a 400' runway and one has a 500' runway. I try to grease each landing to protect the gear. I've caught the edge with my F-86 and ripped the right main out. Popped right back in and glued nicely. I bet it's tough for guys flying only off grass.
          Ps. Thanks for the compliments. It's been raining here in SoCal, so I took the time to airbrush some highlights on the plane, and tanks to finish off the look.

Comment

gear really is weak...picked up mine one day and left main fell out of the retract unit bought all new gear but too lazy to replace all of em

Comment

Comment

I also have the A-6. I did crash it last year - I'm sure it was my error! I have rebuilt it over the winter and redid the markings to look like the VA-65 squadron colors!
                I'm trying to put an AR636 in it but I'm not sure how to program it. Any ideas?? Or another forum?

Comment

Nice review. I have always loved this work horse
                  AMA 1102566

Comment

Spektrum/Horizon has a series of programming videos on You Tube (10) They program an aerobatics plane. I've heard most people using it on a regular plane start with 50% for A, E, R. Also program an on/off until you get the receiver dialed in.

Comment

Working...
                    X