X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military jets and short grass

I was curious which jets that Motionrc sells do best on (short) grass field takeoffs?

I've read the F-86 80mm Sabre has a light enough wing loading and sufficient power to manage. I've seen a video of the Mirage 2000 80mm doing so as well. Are there others that can ROG as well?

I have some 3600 mah 6S batteries that while a tad short on capacity at 600 grams would give a light wing load that I could use, so I'm leaning to the 80mm series for retracts and transportability but a 90mm if it fits in my car may not be out of the question.

I only have a freewing A10 and it flys very well off short grass with a 4000ma battery

Comment

I have a FREEWING ME262 which flies well off our crabgrass runway. Not a warbird, but my FREEWING SUPER SCORPION also does well off grass. Crabgrass is much more difficult as a runway than other types.

Comment

The FW 80mm F86, F5, A6, 70mm Yak-130, 90mm Stinger and F-16 all fly just fine off if short grass.
        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
        Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
        I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

It really depends on grass and tire size.

Good golf course fairway vs crabgrass vs whatever other types... each will have different results as to what size tires tend to get caught.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I ended up going with the Mirage 2000C.

I'm in FL, so our runway is more crabgrass and dirt/sand than golf course fairway. It wasn't my first choice, but it appeared to have the best thrust to weight ratio and shortest takeoff run of the larger 80mm series, so I figured I'd have the best chance of getting off on grass and not having a "car" instead of an airplane.

If this one works out fine, maybe I'll try the F-5 or F-16. The reported long takeoff runs of the F-5 on pavement made me wary of that one. Thank you to all who responded. I'd really like the F-16, if I can transport it that is.

Comment

I know I am late on your question but I have the 80mm F86 on grass and no issues. Sufficient flap deflection is the key as you want a low touchdown speed. The 90mm F16 was a disaster ended up selling it as the nose gear would go out after a few landing on my field.
              Indoor Free Flight columnist for Model Aviation magazine
              Jets columnist for Park Pilot magazine

Comment

Well, good news. My Mirage 2000 takes off of my grass field, even without flaps and even with wet moist grass. I have Bahaia grass mostly at my field about 1" long and it took off in about 200 ft. or less, even with the morning dew still on the grass as I was impatient waiting for it to dry out.

Comment

Working...
                X