X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing 64mm f22 mixing

I have a freewing f-22 raptor with a don wicked edf running with a 45 amp esc and a zippy compact 4s 2200mah 60c . Bitchin fast .well In theory because I have not flown it yet .. I'm trying to setup my control surfaces . I've heard that with this small of a plain that mixing the ailerons and elevators is the way to go .. But the guy I bought it from said he just left them in standard separate aileron and elevator channels .. What to do

Looking for some help thanks!

Hi I have that plane and I too have a Don's Wicked 4 cell setup. It's the 4000kv motor (the back end of the motor is blue) but I am running a 50 amp HiTec ESC. Make sure you check the amps you are pulling because that setup is pulling 44 amps on the table for me and my ESC burst rating is 55 so you want to make sure you have some wiggle room on the amp draw. As far as mixing the ailerons to elevators leave it stock, it flies just perfect the way it is and you will have to dig into the foam to separate the channels. If this is your first EDF Jet you will have a blast, just make sure to set your elevators up by 6mm like the manual shows. It will take off in 50 feet and does all the fun stuff....and landing is great, just keep 1/3 throttle on until you are about a foot off the ground cut your power and flare it up just a bit till it sticks on the ground.

Nick

Comment

That's what I'm talking about .. Exactly what I wanted to hear and much more A++ sir!!

I might have bad news though . I got this plane off craigslist . Guy told me it came with two dons wicked 4s motors. Came with a couple old esc units . So I got it all hooked up .. One esc is bad. The other may be bad . But it turns out I have 3s only motors .

Don himself posted on a thread I made about his motors :

"The motors will have a paint dot on the black heat shrink coming out of the motor. As it is a 64mm setup my guess is either yellow dot 4000kv or green dot 4800kv. If 4800 then 3s only setup , about 380 watts per fan. If 4000 then either 3s or 4s. 4s will be about 600 watts per fan, 3s 290 watts per fan"

I ran a 4s 60c bat through both motors . . At high rpms they jerked violently and blew up both fan units . Now the rev up slowly at their own pace and still jerk at high rpm at the same point . I figure the 4s is over reving them .

I bought a new freewing 12 blade 3500kv edf and 60amp esc off motion yesterday . So everything is brand new on my plane and should run perfect . I'll never buy used stuff again. I hope my old esc was just messed up or had bad settings so all I'll need to do is buy some 8 dollar edf units off motion and a 3s batt so I can use the motors on different projects

I am typing up a storm but one last question .. What edf units do you buy to fit the don wicked motors? The only ones I could find that look the same are off banana hobby and the grey rochobby 5 blade ones off motion ..

Comment

Don sadly stopped his EDF business for now and I was able to buy five of his EDO type 1 fan units before he quit. I will send him an email to see where he suggests getting more of the ones he used. The only other thing you can try is to remove the the plug on the motor shaft which will let you use a prop adapter like the ones that come on the Freewing models. I would trust the Roc/Hobby unit over the Banana Hobby ones.

Remember whatever you use you need to dynamically balance the unit with the motor hooked up because they all are out of balance unless you buy the unit balanced already. There are a couple of videos on YouTube to see how to do it BUT be careful......a spinning EDF can chew your fingers off. My suggestion is to sell the motors because people out there still want them and then buy yourself a new Freewing 12 blade setup from Motion. It's a lot less hassle and they are great little units--- Freewing 64mm 12-Blade EDF 3S Power System w/ 2836-4000kv Motor - E7203
        A buddy of mine has a 12 blade 3s Freewing Stinger 64 that is almost as fast as my HobbyPeople F-16 on a Don's 4000 4s, and it sounds great. If you use that Freewing unit make sure you use a 60 amp ESC.

I started out with the 64mm jets, then the 70mm, and you will find out most of them will get upwards of 70-90 mph depending on the size of the plane (Weight is a something to deal with) but for me I like certain air frames and how they fly. I love the way my F-16 slices around but then my F-22 is more of a floater and easy flier. The Yak 70mm is very cool, very fast on 6s and is such a good looking plane and having retracts and flaps is a blast.

Whatever you want to buy give Motion the first look. Their prices and choices are the best and you will always get to talk to a qualified person on the phone. Alpha, Matt, and Wayne are always there to help you out and will take the time to steer you in the right direction. And they will answer your questions no matter how painfully stupid it might sound to them with an honest answer.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X