Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing T-45 Goshawk reviews and opinions

Hello All,

I have been looking for some thoughts on the Freewing T-45 Goshawk. I only know one person who owns one, and his personal opinion is "Meh".

It is on my radar as a purchase for our annual "jets" event... I currently fly a Dynam Meteor, as an introduction to EDF. I am an intermediate-advanced pilot on all my other planes.

Generally, what are the reviews of the plane, my google-fu has not really shown me any good reviews, other than hundreds of pages of discussion on RC Groups, which I have yet to wade through.

Todd

Wow Todd its lonely in here lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
      Wow Todd its lonely in here lol
      I know, not sure if that means no one has one, or they are too busy flying to respond.

Comment

Too busy fling them. :) I love the T45, It can fly fast or slow with no bad habits and it lands better than the F16.

Regards,
        Doug

Comment

Hi there,

I guess I can give you my 2 cents on this, so feel free to take it for what its worth.

I have not personally seen any of the T-45s fly per say. I have watched many youtube videos of them flying and they appear to be very good EDFs. I was debating on whether to get a T-45 for my jet trainer and all around EDF fun flyer until the F-15 Eagle was released. There are many youtube videos on the FW F-15 and all of them show it to be a very good EDF just as the T-45. In most cases, everyone compares the F-15 to the T-45 as being the same in flight characteristics and I do believe the actual product description from Motion RC does the same thing. I have seen a FW F-15 fly at a fun fly event, and it was a sweet heart to watch with a very good top end not being too fast or painfully slow either. Its low speed landing form was simply beautiful to watch and the over all flight looked like it would be a lot of fun. As far as I can see, both planes appear to be good " all around " fliers that are not lacking for power or roaring speed demons and both seem to be very pilot friendly.

I think the issue here is that the T-45 probably handles just as well as the F-15; its just that most people probably buy the F-15 more often because it looks more cool then the T-45 and everyone can recognize an F-15 Eagle as to say the T-45 Goshawk. Since each plane (PnP version) is exactly the same price, I chose to buy the F-15 Eagle over the T-45 for that same reason. If both aircraft cost the same and both virtually fly the same way, then I will have the one that looks the best in my opinion as I do prefer the looks of the F-15 over the T-45.

If you are interested in the T-45, just look up the flight videos on youtube and see if you are impressed enough to have one. The product video on MotionRC does a good job showing off the character of the T-45 and I think you will agree that its just comes down as to which one looks the best to you.

Comment

https://vimeo.com/168428593
            Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post
            Hello All,

I have been looking for some thoughts on the Freewing T-45 Goshawk. I only know one person who owns one, and his personal opinion is "Meh".

It is on my radar as a purchase for our annual "jets" event... I currently fly a Dynam Meteor, as an introduction to EDF. I am an intermediate-advanced pilot on all my other planes.

Generally, what are the reviews of the plane, my google-fu has not really shown me any good reviews, other than hundreds of pages of discussion on RC Groups, which I have yet to wade through.

Todd
            Todd,

Here is one pilot's review and opinion of this SUPERB looking and flying ultra scale EDF. It is found in the current (July 2016) edition of the AMA's Model Aviation Magazine. I of course cannot post the entire review here but I encourage you to become a member of teh AMA and subscribe to this excellent magazine if you are not already getting it. Editor Jay Smith does a fantastic job with the magazine IMO!

And here is the video we did for that review, embedded in the digital edition:

Comment

Oh ... and I almost forgot ... Motion ponied up a 90mm Freewing T-45 as a giveaway, in conjunction with the review and a Behind the Scenes article on MRC that is also in that issue. Jay set-up a contest that is easy-peasy for all subscribers to enter. A FREE T-45?! WOW! How cool is that?! :cool:

Comment

Hmmmm...I wonder what lucky reader scored the free T-45 from Model Aviation Magazine?

I built and flew this little brother (distant cousin?) to my Freewing 90mm Goshawk last weekend:

50mm 4S XRP fan running on a Castle Creations Talon 35 ESC fed by a China Hobby 4S 40C 1000mAh LiPo

Easy hand and launches and she goes like stink!

Comment

I'm considering getting a T-45 and putting an 8s system in it. I've done that with my F-15 and really like the way the plane flies. Has anyone done that with the T-45? The F-15 need a bit of a trim on the canopy to get everything to fit. I've seen these fly at the filed and I like them but they were all the stock set ups. Sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone. :p

Comment

I just made the first flight on my stock powered T-45. It is impressive. I could not be happier. Considering a second one if they do a different scheme. I might even get one and re-finish it to a MARINE scheme. I like it that much.

That being said I did have to re-adjust the gear door linkages. They were all wrong and binding or opening uneven. But they were soon sorted. One of my mains was not compressing like the other. So I took them both off, disassembled them, and found some sort of metal spacer in one of them. Took it out and all is fine. Also I have one left slat actuator that lags half a second behind all the others. And my left speed brake servo lags its counterpart by a fraction.

Takeoff was fast, sucked up the gear and flaps, and no trim required. I launched from a grass runway with grass about halfway up the wheels.
                    My CG was exactly as stated in the manual. Sound is impressive. Very responsive.
                    Approach to land is similar to the video above with about 30% throttle and everything hanging out except the speed brakes. Rounded out about two feet high slightly nose high, then set her down with a slow power reduction while holding that attitude. I did not stall her in. I think my landing speed was a bit slower than the one in the video above.. It's easier to land than the T-28 in my opinion.

I will probably do a review of the bird in another thread when I get the time and some flight data.

My setup:
                    Stock power 6s 1550kv
                    Admiral 6s 5000

FrSky X9D plus
                    X8R receiver
                    FLVSS lipo sensor, Airspeed, Alt, Rate of climb, RPM, Batt temp, and ESC temp

Pitot cover sewn by my wife :)

On the first flight I inadvertently disabled logging. Hoping to get some numbers on Sunday.
                    Not sure if the Alt and rate of climb will be accurate since there is some bleed air coming through the battery compartment. We'll see.
                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

A stirring maiden flight report for sure! Nice photos!

i had mine out yesterday, flying it at a newly joined local club with a nice 500' Geomat runway.

Comment

What timing do you use on your esc? low mid or high?

I have a video of the first flight but it's a grainy phone message video. Not complaining though as I had the honor of doing the maiden in the presence of a current 747 driver and two T-45 maint personnel out of Navy Meridian, all members of our club. It was a good day.

OK pass, three wire!
                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by Bajora View Post
                          A stirring maiden flight report for sure! Nice photos!

i had mine out yesterday, flying it at a newly joined local club with a nice 500' Geomat runway.

Fabulous pictures !

Comment

For those of you that are big fans of the Goshawk that have always wondered what it would be like to fly an actual Hawk. Well now you can!
                            VEAO Simulations has created a module of the Hawk T.1A for DCS ( Digital Combat Simulator) that has been tested by actual Hawk pilots. It has accurate modelling of the Hawk HUD, instruments and other sub systems. And features different liveries.
                            I personally have flown the A-10C and the F-86 Sabre in DCS and they are very interesting to fly from the pilots cockpit perspective. They are a great way to become more familiar with a particular planes flight dynamics and capabilities.
                            For more info: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...oducts/planes/

Comment

I just received my T45 today. Looks amazing. I also ordered the 1680kv inrunner. That upgrade was recommended by another T45 owner. This bird is by far the best non foam looking, foam plane I've ever seen. Now sure about a maiden date? Winter isn't normally a good time for those "maiden flights", around here anyway!

Comment

Have to say, the T-45 is one of the best looking and landing EDF's around. I owned two but ended up selling them. Why, they just don't have that solid flight that I like, seem to be ready to tip stall all the time, actually had it happen twice, both at high speed turns and one was inverted in a turn and I had the elevator throw cut back, but it is a fun one to fly and land, landings are a joy and very stable with full flaps and slats out. The white started to turn yellowish, hate that. It wins for looks though when new. Don't let my opinion discourage anyone from buying one though, they do fly nice and will stall like any other EDF.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230830_201018.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	390600 I have the V2 version it tracks really good take off is great but you better keep the speed up in turns and be careful on your Landings approach she will tip stall on you

Comment

Working...
                                  X