X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to a 12 blade fan

I apologize if this is a no brainer for you EDF pro's as I am a rank newbie to EDFs. I recently bought a Rebel V2 (maiden will be Saturday) and I've often watched videos of 12 blade fans in EDF's and love how they sound. So, I notice today that a 12 blade fan for 70mm EDF's is available for lots cheaper than I thought. I am guessing that you can't just drop a 12 blade fan in right? You have to upgrade the motor and ESC as well? Or can you just use the same stock motor and just change the fan out?
    Lauren

Yes, the motor and ESC will need to be upgraded. Are you looking to stay with 4S or go to a 6S setup? The Freewing 12 blade setup is designed for 6S and will need a 100A ESC: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...nner-motor-red It would probably put the rebel at some ridiculously fast speeds. Another option is the 4S Freewing setup, that should work with the stock ESC. As far as I know, Motion doesn't have it yet, but it is available here: http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=5811 You might lose a bit of speed with the high blade count fan, but it will sound awesome!

Comment

The trade off with the 12 blade fan is speed and efficiency. But, there is something to be said for the amazing sound the 12 blade fan produces. I love my 90mm jets with 12 blade fans.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
        Yes, the motor and ESC will need to be upgraded. Are you looking to stay with 4S or go to a 6S setup? The Freewing 12 blade setup is designed for 6S and will need a 100A ESC: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...nner-motor-red It would probably put the rebel at some ridiculously fast speeds. Another option is the 4S Freewing setup, that should work with the stock ESC. As far as I know, Motion doesn't have it yet, but it is available here: http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=5811 You might lose a of speed with the high blade count fan, but it will sound awesome!
        4s DD.... Thanks to you and Brian for answering and thanks for the link! Just looking for that wonderful sound. ;)

Jeez that fan's cheap too DD!
        Last edited by Flygirl; May 25, 2016, 12:35 PM. Reason: additional info
        Lauren

Comment

Speaking of sound, I work in Annapolis and today and tomorrow are the graduation exercises for the US Naval Academy. So at the moment the Blue Angels are overhead doing their thing and here I am stuck at a desk listening to the roar as they pass overhead. Apologies to any youngsters here but that sound is orgasmic. LOL! ;)
          Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
            Speaking of sound, I work in Annapolis and today and tomorrow are the graduation exercises for the US Naval Academy. So at the moment the Blue Angels are overhead doing their thing and here I am stuck at a desk listening to the roar as they pass overhead. Apologies to any youngsters here but that sound is orgasmic. LOL! ;)
            I live right in the landing pattern for Moffett Field so I am constantly being buzzed by all sorts of aircraft. My faves are the F/A-18C and Super Hornets!! It doesn't matter what time of day either... I love it!!

As for your question about 12 blade fans. I currently have about 13 planes that have 10 or more blades and they are truly amazing!! I have 50mm all the way up to 90mm and have to admit. The way that they sound when properly balanced is orgasmic as you have said. There is something else that you must keep in mind though. The exhaust diameters and amount of intake required is different for these fans. They like the exhaust to have no less than 95% of the fans diameter and you will have a beast!! XRP makes some really good 4s 12-14 blade fans.
            Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

I live right in the landing pattern for Moffett Field so I am constantly being buzzed by all sorts of aircraft. My faves are the F/A-18C and Super Hornets!! It doesn't matter what time of day either... I love it!!

As for your question about 12 blade fans. I currently have about 13 planes that have 10 or more blades and they are truly amazing!! I have 50mm all the way up to 90mm and have to admit. The way that they sound when properly balanced is orgasmic as you have said. There is something else that you must keep in mind though. The exhaust diameters and amount of intake required is different for these fans. They like the exhaust to have no less than 95% of the fans diameter and you will have a beast!! XRP makes some really good 4s 12-14 blade fans.
              I'd go crazy living there.... I'd probably just park a chair out front and watch all day... LOL!

This jet bug has me hooked unfortunately since I don't have a great place to fly usually. I may get a really good bigger one with a 12 blade at some point just to have for when we do fly at a good field. Until then I'll fly my Rebel and Panther, or rather my sons Panther. LOL! Maybe I better buy him a new one ;)
              Lauren

Comment

I've noticed people often question the efficiency and top speed of a 12 blade fan I guess it depends on the model but one thing about a multi blade fan like that is the plane will accelerate and take off a lot quicker

Comment

Originally posted by kihei11 View Post
                  I've noticed people often question the efficiency and top speed of a 12 blade fan I guess it depends on the model but one thing about a multi blade fan like that is the plane will accelerate and take off a lot quicker
                  Really!!? I could use that at my field. Guess I will look into it then. Thank you Kihei!
                  Lauren

Comment

Yep, acceleration will be quicker and static thrust will be higher. Top end speed will slightly decrease.

Comment

Thanks DD!
                      Lauren

Comment

Okay guys, I did order the 12 blade unit listed under spare parts for the Rebel. The fan unit that is listed under spare parts said it paired to E7215 which is what I ordered and includes a different motor. It is a 4 cell set up and I assume a direct "drop in" replacement? Hoping so...
                        Lauren

Comment

Freewing 70mm 12-Blade EDF 4S Power System w/ 2849-2850KV - E7215 For the Freewing Yak 130 70mm EDF jet.
                          Lauren

Comment

Looks like it should be a good fit, will even work with the stock ESC. Let know how it works out!

Comment

Thanks DD! Zoom zoom! ;)
                              Lauren

Comment

I also wanted to get your guys opinion about my upgrade. i have f-14 tomcat ready for maiden flight. original motors were 1750 and had 12 blades. from upgrade section i bought 2050 motors but they have 6 blade fans and are way lighter ( ihad to add about 80 g to the tail). what i can expect from this upgrade? originally i was looking for shorter take off path.

Comment

Originally posted by jonchis View Post
                                  I also wanted to get your guys opinion about my upgrade. i have f-14 tomcat ready for maiden flight. original motors were 1750 and had 12 blades. from upgrade section i bought 2050 motors but they have 6 blade fans and are way lighter ( ihad to add about 80 g to the tail). what i can expect from this upgrade? originally i was looking for shorter take off path.
                                  You can expect higher top end speeds and better vertical. However, I wouldn't expect static thrust to change much. You went a lower blade count (less static thrust) but higher kv (more static thrust), so I would expect those to balance out pretty evenly. Takeoff will probably take slightly less runway, but I wouldn't anticipate a huge gain in overall takeoff distance. Might get longer flight times though, since it should require lower amperage.

Comment

thanks for response. tomorrow morning is going to be 3 mph wind so i am going for a maiden flight. hopefully will come back in one piece. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jonchis View Post
                                      thanks for response. tomorrow morning is going to be 3 mph wind so i am going for a maiden flight. hopefully will come back in one piece. ;)
                                      Good luck! Weather sounds perfect for a maiden. It is really a sweet flying jet, especially with the wings out.

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post

I'd go crazy living there.... I'd probably just park a chair out front and watch all day... LOL!

This jet bug has me hooked unfortunately since I don't have a great place to fly usually. I may get a really good bigger one with a 12 blade at some point just to have for when we do fly at a good field. Until then I'll fly my Rebel and Panther, or rather my sons Panther. LOL! Maybe I better buy him a new one ;)
                                        Here are some examples of what I see
                                        Parked at the post office on Mary in Sunnyvale to watch this big beast fly over...

I saw the jet flying over the gills and rushed to where the old post officr used to be on Mary. The perfect spot for some spotting! This is the first C-17 th...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Working...
                                        X