X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AV-8 Harrier / F35B EDF Development

I have always thought of the AV-8 Harrier as an interesting and cool fighter jet. Ever since I got into the RC hobby I thought it would be great if there was an RC Harrier that was actually capable of vertical or short takeoff and landings (V/STOL). In the past I had searched to see if any company out there made an RC model of the Harrier, but only found a few that could only fly in forward flight. Recently I came across a video on youtube that discussed how the VTOL system works on the Harrier and another of the F35B. After seeing the videos and becoming more familiar with how the V/STOL system works it sparked the question of how feasible would it be to make an EDF of either the AV-8 Harrier or the F-35B that are V/STOL capable.
    The V/STOL system is comprised of two systems, the main system directs the trust from the main turbine through four synchronized vectorable nozzles in the Harrier. The other system has smaller valve-controlled nozzles in the nose, tail, and wingtips to provide control at low airspeeds that are tied to the normal control surfaces. Transitioning those system to an RC model would be pretty straight forward as far as making the replica main vectorable nozzles that could be controlled from either a three position switch (3 - full down for vertical takeoff, 2-half way for transitioning from vertical to forward flight or short take off and 1- forward flight) or using one of the variable nobs on the Transmitter for full control.
    The only system that I see becoming an issue developing is the smaller valve nozzles that would provide the nose and tail pitch and side to side stabilization. The system could be powered by either tapping the main EDF unit or using a separate air pump. Then employing a gyro to aid in the stabilization control of the nozzles.
    It would be great if we could all share our ideas and knowledge to aid in the push for the development of a true RC EDF model of the legendary AV-8 Harrier. It would also be great to hear ideas for the development of an F-35B EDF.

The STOVL system on the F35B uses just two main nozzles in the form of its main turbine for rear lift and the use of another fan in front of the main engine for front end lift connected through a drive shaft to the main engine. It also has a similar small valve-controlled nozzles as the Harriers but only for side to side stabilization. Nose and tail pitch seems to be controlled by the front fan and main engine.
    The RC version can be simplified by using another EDF unit in front of the main EDF to provide lift at the front end. For the rear a special nozzle would have to be developed that can be vectored.

Comment

Check out Joel Vlashof's work on an F-35 over on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1994339 It is definitely doable, he has achieved plenty of hovers, but no complete flight yet. Full bleed ducts and 3 bearing swivel nozzle. A Harrier would be an even larger challenge though, might be better to go with 4 custom built high thrust small EDFs instead of one central one. This would minimize ducting and allow use of a standard quad colter type stabilization gyro.

Comment

I got to hand it to Joel Vlashof for developing a very promising prototype of the F-35B. His latest prototype seems to use two main edf units with full bleed ducts and a 3 bearing swivel nozzle that is very close to a scale model of the real thing. His work definitely proves that an all electric EDF model of the F-35B is very possible. Now its just a matter of someone joining forces with Joel Vlashof to aid in the advancement to get this model mas produced. Hint, Hint MRC. ; )

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...994339&page=42

Comment

It had been a while since last I checked on this project. It looks like it has come along nicely and will be completed shortly. Now it is being tested with the fuselage which is made of carbon fiber.
          Its great to see that it is now possible to make a model of a F-35B that is actually capable of vertical take offs.

Comment

That is cool I know their was another company that made one that worked. The only issue was the flight was like 1 minutes do to the vertical take of and then the landings which really is not good. But great job on this project thus far. I just wounder what the actual flight time will be forward flight.

Comment

Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
              That is cool I know their was another company that made one that worked. The only issue was the flight was like 1 minutes do to the vertical take of and then the landings which really is not good. But great job on this project thus far. I just wounder what the actual flight time will be forward flight.
              That would be the RCscope X-35: http://www.rcscope.com/product-detail/x-35/. And it was tiny with fixed gear, and pricey. Joel's F-35B has 2 90mm Vasafans I believe, and gets about 3 minutes in a Hover, so probably longer if forward flight. And it has retracts, and an amazing looking scale fuselage.

Comment

I just found out that the same guy that has been developing the F-35B has also been working on an amazingly crafted AV-8 harrier prototype..
                I have seen many attempts at making an RC Harrier but many have failed because they deviated too far from the original design to keep it simple. But it simply is not possible to replicate a Harrier with out also replicating the Pegasus engine with all of its ducting. Its amazing what is now possible with modern electronics and 3D printing.
                One of the top selling points about an aircraft like this coming to market is that no one will be asking if it is capable of flying off grass. ;)

Comment

Incredible!

Comment

I just saw this update video of this project and as I was reading the comments someone asked if there going to be a kit available of this Harrier.
                    This is the reply he got: 2019 we going to try to put a kit on the market;)

Comment

Very nice job. Exciting to see an F35 on shop in freewing

Comment

An EDF VTOL F-35 or a Harrier would be as cool as it gets. There is a ton that goes into that as a RC model, but it would be great to see it come to fruition some day. The tech. would have to be incredible from the get-go.

Comment

Only a matter of time. :Drooling:

Comment

Working...
                          X