Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREEWING F-14 review and flight

Hi Guys,

Just got the F-14 in and thought I would share my build and maiden flight with you.

-opening Box-

The shipping box came just as good as all freewing planes safe and secure "Unless UPS has other thought LoL"
    You will find the foam core box to be kinda like a claim shell "2 foam cores" a upper level with the main fuse in and a lower level with all the remaining parts init wings rudder,etc

-THE BUILD-

The manual did have some issues but will be resolved some of the illustration is faded out but any one experienced in building this model should be able to get threw it fine. I used the supplied glut to glue in the front part of the fuse together. Be careful this glue dries faster then I thought a few minutes like 5 and its solid. Installing the rudders was a bit tricky to do I had to do some foam cutting in the slot on the fuse. The slot the rudder goes into is not deep enough to get the wires to sit low enough for the screw holes to align on the rudder. I had to cut this a little deeper and that did the trick on both sides. Also on the edf covers on the out side screw hole they did not supply a screw for this so it made this pop down not flush with the fuse body. What I found is on the inside the wooden mounting block had no hole drilled out. I could see were it was suppose to be just not drilled on both sides. I drilled them out and added my own wood screw that I had laying around. The elevators went together just fine no issues. Mounting the wing here is were the manual was washed out you need to go to our site and download the PDF file https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10.../files/F14.pdf
    you are given 3 bigger hold center washers and 3 smaller hole washers for each side. the bigger hole washer goes on the bottom they show using 1 on bottom and 1 on top. Start with that but I ended up using 2 and 2 yours may very you have to make sure that the wing is not rubbing on the top of the fuse or the bottom of the wing foam cover so just trial fit till you like it. Plunging in the aileron ,flap and lights into the control board was very simple to do just make sure you use the supplied wire keepers this will keep the wires away from the pivot points. The CG is right around 85 mm back its not from the leading edge of the wing its actually were the top cover front starts at then go back from their.

-THE SETUP-

I used 2 40006's 60c admiral batteries and 2 50006's 50c I found for me that I did not have to change the cg for either batteries used. But if you use the 5000 you have to take the wooden plat out to accommodate the bigger battery. for my dual rate setup I used the following.
    1: low rates 50%
    2: medium 72%
    3 High 100%
    this is for all surfaces and i used 1 switch for each surface on my DX9
    expo for all I used 50% but use to what you like.
    Flaps are
    takeoff flaps 50% elevator mix 10% up
    Landing flaps is 100% elevator 14 % up
    setup your servo speed to 4-5 second delay that gits rid of the balloon affect

-THE MAIDEN-

Well as big and bad as this plane is and the high blood pressure this gives off is not as bad as it really is it tricks you. I have a 2300 foot blacktop runway so that for me was not an issue. Also having 10 people was gut killing but went ahead anyways. It tracked very nicely down the middle of the runway advanced the throttle very easily and decided not to use flaps at all. I let it go at least 40 yards and then applied up elevator. At that point it came off the tarmac with ease no signs of any bad habits like trying to roll over issues. Got the jet up to about 100' and put the gear up and trimmed the plane in wit some left aileron and some up elevator made it fly straight and level. I will have to say for this being a jet it flies more like a trainer to me very stable and predictable in away floated around nicely. Stall turns are done with ease no bad snaps in it as long as you have some power in it . I actually flew at 1/2 throttle on this flight and it was 98 degrees out so I only flew for 2 minutes. I decided to come in and did not use flaps had them not correct with enough up elevator on it so did not use them. The nose went straight to the ground not enough elevator mixing (went to 14% up On second flight) So the approach was perfect nice and stable came in perfect at the last second stalled and bounced it but the gear struts handled this fine.

-Second Flight-

This went well very well I used flaps for take off and went well. I used half the runway and came off the ground and no issues. Did some roles WOW how nice that did. Then had to do PUT THOSE WINGS IN BOY and I did. Very nice allot more sensitive but not uncontrollable just use less stick movement is all and make wider turns and your good to go. It is a a little faster so just think a head of your next turn. Landing this time with flaps the elevator correction did the trick come in with about 1/4 throttle and it will settle in nicely with a high alpha approach. Do not land any jet as a 3 point landing this will cause the nose gear to rip off. Instead let gravity do the work.

-END RESULTS-

Totally satisfied with this jet no bad habits thus far I only have 4 flights at this point but enough to get some feel for it. I definitely agree that this is an export jet but think it handles more like a trainer with the wings out. Anybody that flies bigger jets like our F-16 90mm will find this jet to be more relaxing. So if you are on the fence worried it look intimidating do not worry it is a giant *****cat in the air. GO GET YOURS TODAY at MotionRC here is the link
    Freewing F-14 Tomcat Twin 12-Blade 80mm EDF Jet in "Bullet 101" Scheme - PNP - FJ30812P Version Info: This is the PNP version of the Freewing F-14. The pictures show the optional pylons and weapon set which are not included with the plane. These can be purchased separately by clicking the "upgrades" tab. We here at Mot

-Video-

This is the second flight on this jet the first one did not come out to well!

Hope this helps anyone looking at this plane and gives them good info.

Thanks Brad
    ​​​​​​​

nice flight Brad.
    i wish i would have such a long runnaway ( mine is only 400 ft🙁). so on my maiden flight i damaged my landing gears. after repairs i made my second flight and tried to swept wings. it takes couple seconds to copletely sweep them and by the time they were all way back my bird was at the end of the field in front of the woods. like you said it became so sensitive and my dual rates and expo wasn't set up right i ended up un the woods. happily batteries did not got disconected so with the help of the edf sound it didnt took too long to find it hanging 30 ft high in the tree.
    now i'm putting together new kit and will use your settings. and also i will add cortex gyro to it.

Comment

HI jochis

Wow that's to bad that that has happened to your F-14 going into the woods. Like I mentioned it flies like a delta wing very sensitive. Make sure you use medium or low aileron rates it will tame it down. Also make wide B-17 turns as well. Hope all goes well on the new one good luck.

Brad

Comment

Working...
      X