You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing F-86 700 mm hand launch technique--How?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing F-86 700 mm hand launch technique--How?

Anyone have suggestions on how to hand launch this jet? My launches are failures so far. Is the catapult the only way?

Re: Freewing F-86 700 mm hand launch technique--How?

I also have had a tough time launching my F-86 as well and I ordered a Jetapult system and have no problems launching my edf now

Comment

Re: Freewing F-86 700 mm hand launch technique--How?

I've found there are generally a few issues when a hand launch fails:
      1) You need 100% throttle for this jet
      2) Don't launch are too high of an angle otherwise you can stall. I generally throw with very little up angle.
      3) CG - I've found the most common hand launch problems are because of an incorrect CG. Too much nose weight or too much tail weight will really goof up your controls when you are at such low speeds.
      4) You do need to give it a bit of a toss. You can't just let it fly out of your hand. It must be tossed (not too hard though)
      5) retain control. I'm right handed so I use elevator with my right hand and I throw with my right hand. You need to get your hand to the elevator stick FAST. I peg the throttle at 100%, throw the plane, and quickly get my right hand back to the right stock as fast as I possible can. Often I'm giving a lot elevator for a very short time while trying to keep the jet level with ailerons.

It takes some coordination but you will get it. If you are already doing all of these things, then check the CG as that may very likely be the culprit. If you are nosing it in, move the battery back slightly (provided you are not stalling already). If you are nosing up and then stalling, you may need to move the battery forward. A very neutral CG will make hand launching much easier.

Comment

Working...
      X