First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockheed U-2

:) Pretty please!
    AMA 1102566

I had one of these some years ago: http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...an-esc-sx.html
    It looked nice on the table and in the air. However, these sorts of very long winged spy type planes don't seem to translate well into an RC model. (The other one that comes to mind is the Predator drone, which a guy here went through 2 of. Kept crashing on take off.) My U2 was underpowered. The EDF drew a lot of juice and the battery not very big so it didn't fly long. It didn't actually glide very well power off, so it needed the fan going to some extent all the time and this made for short flight times. I really like the U2 but if anyone is going to make another one, they'll have to spend a bunch more time on development and testing. I don't think the Phase 3 sold very well, but it's still available so maybe it sells well enough to keep it in production.

Comment

Thanks Viper for the thoughts. I read about the Hobby People unit and decided it was not for me. I have never flown a glider so I am not aware of their possible issues. I just think the U2 has a amazing presence and it would be cool to put some cameras in the belly :)
      AMA 1102566

Comment

The P3 U-2, from my sources, suffered from lackluster sales. Which is a pity, because I like the U-2. Mine had a poorly balanced fan and sounded horrible, but a replacement from DonsRC made the U-2 a much improved flyer in performance and sound. The wings were flimsy, though. It really was better suited as a flat line flyer, but then again, at the scales we're working with in RC, a flying wing can be made just as stable for a photo platform while still having some rigidity across the body to withstand more "normal" forces and loads that we put our models through.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
        X