Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded motor for MIG21 ??

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded motor for MIG21 ??

I spoke with Brad about a week ago about powering the ARF+ MIG21, and he said a container should be arriving the next day with a new higher power motor for the 80mm 12 blade EDF. Any word on when this might arrive? I had intended to use the EDF and motor out of the FREEWING Super Scorpion, but he advised against doing this. I have been checking almost daily to see if this new motor is available yet, but no mention so far.

The Mig-21 PNP comes with a new motor for their 80mm 12-blade EDF unit. It is an outrunner with 1800kv, and provides some great overall performance for the price and current draw. It is out of stock currently, but below is the link to the one I'm speaking of. This will essentially turn your ARF+ into a PNP equivalent, but you'll need the ESC as well of course :). The older 80mm EDF PNP power systems on earlier 80mm EDF Freewing jets contained a 1750kv motor of the same dimensions and doesn't perform quite as well as this new power system and its higher KV. The Mig is a bit larger than many of the other single power system 80mm series jets in Freewing's line-up, so the extra thrust of the new units comes in handy.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...kv-motor-e7235

Another option for very similar performance, but still better is Freewing's 80mm 12-blade unit with an inrunner motor (made by HET) of slightly higher KV of 1820. It's a little more expensive as well, but not by much. They should both be drop in units in the sense of fitting in provided slot and secure with screws.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...20kv-in-runner

They both use 6S and have similar current draw. A 100ESC should be sufficient for either power system (the PNP Mig also has a 100A ESC).

Comment

The inrunner gives some extra grunt in this MiG-21, but it isn't massively different at sea level. Similar speed, more vertical, easier high-alpha (even easier than it already is with the outrunner PNP). T-Cat is right, the MiG-21's stock PNP 100A ESC will work just fine with either the stock outrunner or the upgrade inrunner.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Can any 80mm MIG 21 owners help me out…I’m using a 6S 6000 50c and I can get it to even out in the CG…is a 6S 4000 60c a better choice or does anyone have any other suggestions on battery and obtaining a good CG

Comment

I no longer have mine and don't remember any battery balance issues when using my 5200's, they were older Hobby Star's that weighed 620-640g. I do remember flying bigger batteries, 5800's and it flew fine with them.

When you say 6000 or 4000 remember that there's a vast array of different batteries of that mAh size that weigh different amounts and are physically different sizes. My current go to high performance 5000 is a 100C Power Hobby, weighs only 575g, great battery but not cheap (I have 5 of them). The 4000 you are looking at are probably heavier. Second best in the 5000 size is the 5200 50C Power Hobby that is 645g and a great price (I have 12 of them).

Comment

Working...
          X