X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing 80mm F-5....Any thoughts?

Hello everyone, I'm thinking seriously about the Freewing 80mm F-5. Any comments/thoughts to share on this plane? I'm pretty experienced on 80-90mm EDFs.

Looking for:
    • How does it handle
    • Have you flown it with the 6S 5000 pack and how does that affect handling?
    • Speed?
    • Quality of the plane and any other thoughts to offer
    Thanks everyone. Looking to make a good decision on my next EDF, and this seems like a good size and price. Just want some input before jumping in.

Thanks!

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm thinking seriously about the Freewing 80mm F-5. Any comments/thoughts to share on this plane? I'm pretty experienced on 80-90mm EDFs.

Looking for:
    • How does it handle
    • Have you flown it with the 6S 5000 pack and how does that affect handling?
    • Speed?
    • Quality of the plane and any other thoughts to offer

Thanks everyone. Looking to make a good decision on my next EDF, and this seems like a good size and price. Just want some input before jumping in.

Thanks!
    It flies much like a bigger plane. I have had mine for over a year now and it is a blast to fly! If you fly from a long runway the 5000mah pack will work. But I am getting best results with 6s 30-40c 4000mah or 6s 30c 4500mah pack. Anything more and it will feel sluggish and nose heavy. It is a wonderful flying plane with speed well into the triple digits stock! 110-120mph easily.
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Awesome. Great to hear. I am flying off a long paved runway, so not worried about getting off the ground or stopping in time. Just hoping it has enough power to handle the 5000mah battery.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Awesome. Great to hear. I am flying off a long paved runway, so not worried about getting off the ground or stopping in time. Just hoping it has enough power to handle the 5000mah battery.

Thanks for the info.
        There are some light ones out there that would work great in it! Here is a flight that I did last week with mine chasing a mig-21

And here it is with the heavier 6s 30c 4500mah pack
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I'd like to stick with the 5000 to get another 30sec of flight time, hopefully. As long as it doesn't make it a beast to handle.

Comment

Man, gooniac33, I love your videos. I'm gonna give that a try with my Mobius. Just velcroed it to your hat, right?

Also, that's a HUGE runway you're flying off of. Is that a closed down AF runway or something?

How do you like your 70mm F-16? Also, what battery are you flying and how long do you get on it?

Comment

Its me again..:cool: I also have the F-5, I wanted no part of it after one flight, then I decided to fly it some more and get it dialed in, well now its one of my favorites. It is fast so keep your eye on it all the time. It is the only EDF jet that I can put the flaps down, gear down and pull throttle all the way off, it will just glide in so smooth as long as you keep the speed up, so in other words, keep the nose down then gently flare and it will touchdown very nicely. I can get it to land very slow with a short roll out. I have very little elevator, very little flaps, and very little aileron because I don't run any expo on any of my DEF jets and this one just doesn't need much throw, if you give it to much elevator throw it will drop a wing or snap on you. I fly mine with a Pulse 5000 45C and it flies very well, tight fit but it works. Great flyer but I wouldn't recommended it for your first EDF jet.
              AZFlyer, did you decide to get the 90mm F-16 yet???
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks DCORSAIR. Good tips to keep in mind.

No, I haven't picked up the 90 F-16 yet. I sold some surplus stuff and had enough to pick up the F-5, another 6S 5000 battery and an upgraded motor for my P-51. As soon as I can though, I'm either going to pick up the F-16 or the F-15. But, then I see Motion is coming out with a 1600mm series Spitfire and probably more very soon. Too many choices and not enough spare cash right now.

Comment

Funny you say that about the flaps on your EDFs. I have the T-45, Stinger and F-86, and I always land with full flaps. I land just as you described: full flaps and kill the power over the threshold and let them glide. I bleed off energy with just a little nose up as it approaches the runway. No problems at all on any of my jets with this landing technique.

Comment

Man, gooniac33, I love your videos. I'm gonna give that a try with my Mobius. Just velcroed it to your hat, right?

Also, that's a HUGE runway you're flying off of. Is that a closed down AF runway or something?

How do you like your 70mm F-16? Also, what battery are you flying and how long do you get on it?
                    I use a 6s 30c 4000 in the F-16 and am getting a lot of flying time! It doesn't need full throttle to fly so I only use full for blasting by with fast passes etc. So far I am at about 4 mins flight time with it.

Comment

The F5 is a killer once it's dialed in and I recommend a JF80 or at least the FW 1820kv inrunner setup to balance out a 5000 mAh pack.

Similar to flying the Mirage 2000, you just need to develop a "Jet eye" and have to learn to fly the plane without always being able to see it.

Once you've mastered that and dial in your FL to EL mix, it's a HELL of a plane. :)

It's far from a beginner plane, but great for an experienced pilot.

The stock setup isn't very impressive IMHO so I always recommend an upgrade.

Here's mine...

https://youtu.be/OWMg3K104Cg

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks guys. Mine is coming on Monday. I'm going to fly the Admiral 5000 pack for now and keep it stock.

Thanks again

Comment

Nice video Alpha10. Very impressive speed. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Nice video Alpha10. Very impressive speed. Looking forward to it.
                            Thanks! If you plan on keeping the stock outrunner you'll have to move the 5000 way back, but you should be ok.

Just don't expect too much performance wise, but at least you can get a good feel for her and shake it down. : )

Comment

Are you saying it's too heavy with the 5000? I like the xtra flight time, though.

Comment

I fly with the Pulse 5000 45c and its fine on balance and performance. You will need to put in some down elevator with the flaps though, it balllllooooons bad if you drop to much flap with no elevator mix. I will get you some measurements if you want something to start with??

Comment

That would be great DCORSAIR. The kit should come on Monday, so I'll take any advice anyone has to offer on set-up. I was actually wondering about the elevator/flap mix. Also looking for any input on CG.

Thanks!

Comment

Azfler, I got some info for you, now this is my settings, you will have to adjust for your liking and I do not run any expo or dual rates on any of my jets so keep that in mind. CG is by the book but I got you a picture of another way to mark it if you want to do it that way, 195mm from the bottom edge of the intake or you can see the eraser pointing to where I have mine. Also a pic of the elevator when flying straight and level, and my battery placement, also I tried to get a picture of the inside showing the wooden battery tray you will have to make, no way will it balance with a 5000 mah lipo sitting in the stock location.
                                    Ail-12mm up/dn
                                    Ele-12mm up/dn
                                    Flap-35mm dn(one setting)
                                    CG 195mm from the front edge of intake on the bottom or follow the instructions in the book.
                                    Flap/Ele mix with flaps down, 2mm of down ele. mixed in when you deploy flaps, you might need more or less, depends on what you like on approach.

Comment

Getting mine on Tuesday!
                                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Thanks guys. Mine is coming on Monday. I'm going to fly the Admiral 5000 pack for now and keep it stock.

Thanks again
                                        Congrats!!! Here is one more flight from flying on friday....

Comment

Working...
                                        X