X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Angel 70mm Jet ?

Does anyone know of any company that makes a blue angel foamy around a 70mm jet anymore ?
    I have a 64mm that Nitro Planes sold a couple 3 years ago but found it to be underpowered. Great starter jet but I would love to get one that is a 4s or better. I cannot find one anywhere. I wish some company would make one again ! Anyone ???

64mm 4S Freewing F/A-18 High Performance EDF Jet "Tophatters" - Receiver Ready (PNP) - FJ10723P Version Info: This version now comes with a 2840-2850Kv brushless inrunner motor with new 12-Blade EDF and new 40A ESC with Thrust Reversing function. The Boeing F/A-18 Hornet is a twin-engine supersonic, all-weather carrier

This is about the only route to go for something close to 70 mm,
    or
    Freewing F/A-18E Hornet Version 2 with 12 Blade 90mm Metal EDF and 360 Degree Thrust Vectoring - PNP - FJ30211P The F/A-18 Hornet is one of the most iconic fighter/attack airplanes in the US Navy's air combat arsenal, and this new Version 2 model is every bit as impressive as the full size airplane. When Freewing set o

For a 90 mm, but the thing is, you'd have to do a paint job on it and order decals from Callie Graphics.
    Personally, I would do it, but its up to you
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

The Blue Angels scheme is only made by Airfield in a production model (the 64mm you refer to). Painting an existing airframe is a fun and rewarding process though, and like Grossman said, when you have Callie Graphics, a beautiful Blue Angel is just a rattle can away!! I haven't seen a model offered in a single 70mm, LX makes a twin 70mm, and Freewing has a single 90mm, and they are both about the same size. The LX model also has folding wings, which is a pretty cool feature, though I do not know how practical it is for a flying model. I had their F4U Corsair with the folding wings, and I could not get it to fly right until I disabled them and glued the wings on. We have a great article in our Knowledge Blog on painting models, you may want to check it out!! https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motio...ivery-you-want

Comment

Starmax made a great Blue Angels 70mm F-18... I believe you can still get them if you look hard enough.

I have a few BNIB PNP in the Jolly Rogers scheme if you need one, just lmk.

Twin rudders and everything... They're the best 70mm F-18 I've ever seen/owned and are easily modified to run high powered 4s setups.

Comment

The Starmax 70 still available here, but it is the fixed gear version. You should be able to add retracts without too much of an issue: https://www.dragonhobbyusa.com/sale/...18-70-kit.html. This is however, a kit, so you will need all of your own electronics. I personally think their 90mm unpainted one is a better value at that price though: https://www.dragonhobbyusa.com/edf-j...-18-90kit.html

Comment

It also appears that they have the PNP version as well for the 70mm : https://www.dragonhobbyusa.com/edf-j...18-70-ba1.html

Comment

I hadn't seen that Starmax one, nice. I had the Starmax L-9 Grasshopper Cub, and I loved it. It is not very scale, but if you cut the goofy missiles off of the wing tips, and got some decent retracts in it, it could be a pretty nice airframe. A Freewing 2938-2085 on two 3S in series should send that thing screaming!! Looks like there is enough room for two 3700s, which is what I am flying the F-16 on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post
                The Blue Angels scheme is only made by Airfield in a production model (the 64mm you refer to). Painting an existing airframe is a fun and rewarding process though, and like Grossman said, when you have Callie Graphics, a beautiful Blue Angel is just a rattle can away!! I haven't seen a model offered in a single 70mm, LX makes a twin 70mm, and Freewing has a single 90mm, and they are both about the same size. The LX model also has folding wings, which is a pretty cool feature, though I do not know how practical it is for a flying model. I had their F4U Corsair with the folding wings, and I could not get it to fly right until I disabled them and glued the wings on. We have a great article in our Knowledge Blog on painting models, you may want to check it out!! https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motio...ivery-you-want
                Yes indeed, I have painted 6 Blue Angel liveries over the years. It's not as difficult as it may seem to some. The article gives you an easy step-by-step process. Just take your time and you will be surprised of the results! :Cool:

My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Yes indeed, I have painted 6 Blue Angel liveries over the years. It's not as difficult as it may seem to some. The article gives you an easy step-by-step process. Just take your time and you will be surprised of the results! :Cool:
                  Even F-16s...LOL

Comment

Yep those too! :)
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Nice job on those, Aros. Of course if you want to be really accurate you need a "C" model. ;) Starmax makes a 90mm C variant.

Comment

Thanks...Yeah I know, the FW 90mm has always been a fantasy variant (Blue Angels have never flown an "E") but I like how mean the Blue's look in the E all the same. :Cool:
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Totally agree. The E's are awesome.

Comment

Wow, thank you all for the responses. What to do ? I like the thought of the Star max by Dragon but I am wondering if spare parts are offered ? One crash and a new plane is needed?
                            I also like the idea of picking up a Freewing 70mm and painting it. That way I can get spare parts if needed. Thanks to all for your help. I will go one way or the other.

Comment

Cool, keep us posted! Would love to see photos when complete. Good luck!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Can anyone recommend a safe spay paint that they use on foam ? Krylon maybe ?

Comment

The only plane I've painted with a rattle can was Pandora 2.
                                  I used Rust-oleum Painters Touch 2x Ultra Cover, paint and primer, in gloss Marigold color.
                                  Worked like a charm. i would recommend that if you're trying something new, try it on some scrap foam first, like all the packing foam that our planes come in. Better to find out the easy way.
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6089.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	63284Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6093.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	63285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6118.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	63286
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Karnsy View Post
                                    Can anyone recommend a safe spay paint that they use on foam ? Krylon maybe ?
                                    Most spray paint works fine on EPO. I've used Tamiya, Krylon, and Testors spray cans with no problems. It's really only with EPS where you have to be super careful. But, like Gman said, I recommend trying it on scrap foam first just in case. As for the choice between jets, I would agree that the Freewing is a much better choice with its spare parts availability, and you can count on everything working well out of the box.

Comment

Any enamel paint in a rattle can will work on foam but the magic tip is LIGHT COATS. Don't try spraying heavy coats at close range or the foam will suffer. Prime first then apply any enamel paint you like in light coats and it will not eat your foam. Lacquer paint WILL EAT FOAM however. Avoid that paint at all costs around foam.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Not sure if the op went through with the blue angel but i ordered a starmax blue angel 70mm and should be here soon. Its got retract cut outs which is swet. Im looking for a fast 70mm setup that doesnt sound too harsh. Im looking into the xrp 70mm 14 blade 2800kv for 4s.

Or

Im wondering if its possible to run this bird on 6s?

Comment

Working...
                                        X