X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing 747

There isn't a much more distinctive and impressive airliner out there than the Boeing 747. Over the years, there have been a couple of kits for this, but the Aerotetris model is the only one out there that I know of and is far from a finished product. Would love to see Freewing tackle this big Jumbo and do it justice with 4 12 blade 64-70mm fans. There are so many schemes out there for it, from Air Force One to the Shuttle Carrier. I know I would definitely love to fly up and release a Shuttle glider. Span would have to be pretty big, around the 2m range, but with how well known it is, I think the model would sell quite well. Who wouldn't love shooting those slow, graceful approaches with a big Jumbo, especially if it had fowler flaps? If nothing else, it would be something radically different from what is on the market right now, and would make quite an impression at the field. I've also been waiting a while so that I could use my 747th post to request a 747.. :)

I would love to own an EDF scale airliner like the 747 or the Dreamliner or 737-800 with Alaska Airlines livery...Really cool...I know one of the owners is especially fond of airliners too so maybe sometime down the road? Would be a great addition to our inventory!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      I would love to own an EDF scale airliner like the 747 or the Dreamliner or 737-800 with Alaska Airlines livery...Really cool...I know one of the owners is especially fond of airliners too so maybe sometime down the road? Would be a great addition to our inventory!
      Good to know, hopefully he decides its worth the risk! Motion has been extending their reach into wider variety of models than anyone else, and I think a big airliner would really set them apart. Imagine night flying one with approach flights and lighting for all of the cabin windows, it would look almost real on approach! Was also thinking that the YAL-1 Airborne Laser would be a pretty cool custom job as well, maybe with the brightest red LED bulb I can find housed in the laser :).

Comment

I would love to own a 747

Comment

i have one of the estes "air force one" models.
          need to finish modifying it to standard controls, and maybe even brushless fans.
          when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C

Comment

HSD is currently working on a quad 90mm 747-400. But at that size it's going to be pricey, probably somewhere near $1500 would be my guess. But man is this thing HUGE!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	72679640_2371354792899847_6457082424403689472_n.jpg
Views:	2790
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	216034
            Pat

Comment

Wow, I assume EPO? Finding a place large enough to fly it would stop me cold.
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Agree there is no airliner as stunning and gorgeous as the 747. I used to have a customer in San Francisco and would stay across the water from the airport. I would spend the evenings sitting outside with a drink watching all the 747's from international and freight flights come and go. While I am sure a proper RC 747 would be beyond my price range and ability to transport, it would be the one airliner that it would be hard to say no to. I always dreamed of flying on one, but it never happened. The closest was being in the NASA Space Shuttle hauler in Huston.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                  Wow, I assume EPO? Finding a place large enough to fly it would stop me cold.
                  Yep, all EPO (I think that's all HSD does, even for their turbine planes). And yes Todd, you'd definitely need to find a larger flying field. Parking blocks and light poles would not mix well with this one!
                  Pat

Comment

Agreed!!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I really hope they come out with a 747-400 or even one of the earlier models, I would certainly buy it if it is a good flyer. Lots of fond memories with this airplane, the Queen of the Skies, flew them for decades of all types before I retired a few years ago. A sweet airplane in every sense, whether big or small!

Comment

Yes a boeing 747 with 4x 70 mm edf will be an excellent present ...

Comment

Originally posted by davegee View Post
                          I really hope they come out with a 747-400 or even one of the earlier models, I would certainly buy it if it is a good flyer. Lots of fond memories with this airplane, the Queen of the Skies, flew them for decades of all types before I retired a few years ago. A sweet airplane in every sense, whether big or small!
                          I would like a 747. Some of the older airliners are legendary. I love those planes, in my career I racked up a ton of miles in the 747 as a passenger, almost all various types. I miss em a lot. When you spend that kind of time in a plane like the 747, they are like a long lost friend that is slowly passing away. I would seriously like to see them refit it with newer more efficient engines and upgraded wing design and keep on flying. I had the privilege of landing a Flying Tigers Airfreight 747 once in Taipei once the US Navy had chartered. It was an easy plane to land, but the captain had to call out the gear height for me, and tell me when to flair. The cockpit is so high up it threw me off.

For me the one I would love to see is an L-1011 Tri-Star. But that's just me. W

Comment

Would you guys buy a 747 model if it had two working EDFs and two dummy engines? Or would you say that four EDFs is a must?

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                              Ahhh, the cats outta the bag! I don't know him, but I'm sure I would like him. LOL Good for him!

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post
                                Would you guys buy a 747 model if it had two working EDFs and two dummy engines? Or would you say that four EDFs is a must?
                                Marco, I would say 4 engines for sure. It would sound really cool. I suspect this would be a drawback for production, (more points of failure for sure). But to me. it would just be a cooler model with four engines. EDF's aren't like a jet powered model. four of those mini turbines would make it real expensive.

W

PS a (2) fan model wouldn't rule it out for me. I have the Airbus A380. It has 4 EDF's. I would make sure to use 11 or 12 bladed fans. Just me. LOL My A380, (which I actually haven't assembled yet, FYI) But I've seen others. Can you say Howling Betty X 4. They sound terrible to say the least.

Comment

Could always do something a little smaller scale and use 4 55mm EDF's My C-17 had 4 55mm in it and it sounded great and had lots of power. Flew 5 minutes on 1 4s 5000 30C.

Gravy

Comment

That's a rough one, but I do prefer two engines instead of four since it is usually less complexity and cost, and less parts to fail and replace. However, on a RC 747 or any quad engine aircraft that would use two functional EDF's and two dummies, it would have to be designed very tastefully. Would the dummy motors/fans be static? Maybe the dummy fan units can be on bearings on a central pivot to spin with the airflow so they aren't static, ha-ha. That reminds me of the old "Spinner" rims on vehicles.

Comment

I think 4 functioning EDFs would be a must for me.

Comment

I would be okay with two but four would definitely be preferred...The sound alone would be fantastic. But two is not a deal breaker for me.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                        X