X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F117 stealth fighter

It sure would be nice if Freewing would consider offering an F117 in 80, or 90mm size. Years ago, I had an LX models 70mm version. It was very cheaply made with eps foam, and crappy plastic landing gear, but flew like a dream. It was also very scale like in appearance. I know I'm not the only one who shares a passion for this airframe, so maybe if there is enough response to this thread, Freewing and Motion RC would consider putting one together for us......? Anyone else fly one of the LX versions, and if so, how was your flying experience ?

I'd love one as well. However, they are going to have to find a way to keep the black painted EPO from bubbling in the heat. Chances are that Freewing would be using EPO if they made this jet. We'll see though.

Comment

Also, the LX version had a bomb drop feature with Bombay doors. The cockpit was hinged to allow access to the battery bay.

Comment

LX, Good luck with BH getting and keeping stock and don't take the part pictures at face value, don't receive as pictured and get excuses like out of stock when called on it. :Angry:
        AMA 424553

Comment

That's why I never ordered another one. I refuse to do anymore business with Banana....So c'mon Freewing....Give us a nice quality F117 !

Comment

Funny story but my first electric aircraft was the LX F-117!

Bare with me. It was around 2007 or 2008, whenever it first came on the scene. I remember the folks on RCG told me not to make that my first aircraft but I didn't listen. After all I was flying jumbo jets and all kinds of airplanes in Microsoft's Flight Simulator successfully. So how hard would it be to fly a simple model?

You can see where this is headed. :Loser:

Always a lover of scale, I had to have the F-117. After all, Banana Hobby said "Perfect for beginners!" Wow, how naive I was back then. I got her ready for the maiden - so I thought. What I didn't know at the time is that I had the elevons reversed. So when I hit full throttle and tried to rotate, it would not leave the ground. It ended up plowing into a chain link fence at full power.

That was my first experience with electric model aircraft. Thankfully I was smart enough to admit my mistake, and do things the right way moving forward. I took a lot of well deserved crap from the experts having a great laugh at my expense. I then took the right path and learned to fly model aircraft the right way. High wing, slow trainers until I had a good grasp of the hobby.

So fast forward a few years and I bought another LX F-117. By then I had a good amount of stick time in and I had the skills to fly EDFs. I remember how floaty she was. Pretty much a dog as far as speed. Just floaty and not a friendly model when it comes to orientation. What black aircraft would be? I just remember she was easy to handle, floaty and not too fast which was perfect for me at the time when I was still learning jets.

I know we could do a fantastic job with a F-117. I would push for a 90mm, super scale. I will put the bug in our R&D team's ear but not before a super scale 80mm twin SR-71 Blackbird.

;)

My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I finally got smart and painted the American flag on the bottom for orientation. As you can see the bird seemed to attract an attentive audience. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	kids.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	67268
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I had the LX -117 as well, the carcass is still in the attic awaiting fixing or final decommissioning. I also had the SR-71. The Blackbird was whole lot of fun to fly, but I had an infinite amount of trouble from the power system. I originally ordered it from (gulp) General Hobby in a kit format, but it arrived PNP. After not being able to get anyone to answer emails or the phone, I said the hell with it and assembled the plane. It had a bad ESC out of the box. As I had already tried and failed to contact them, I ordered two 100A Red Brick ESCs from (gulp) HobbyKing and put those in it. On the second flight, one of the motors EXPLODED!! Magnets and bearings everywhere. So, I ordered the Freewing 12 bladed fan units and installed them. Now on the fourth flight, one of the ESC caught on fire. I managed to save the plane, but that bird does NOT like to fly on one engine!!! So I then ordered two Mantis 65A ESCs (determined that this was the last money I was putting into this plane) from Motion, and the plane flew great from that day forward. Now there is no good story that does not have a moral, and the moral of the story: BUY FROM MOTION TO START WITH AND SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF HEADACHES AND EMPTY POCKETS!!!

I am with you though Aros, I want a Super Scale SR-71, twin 80mm...Somebody tell Alpha to find a black that will work!!!!

Comment

Aros.....I Know freewing could make an excellent F117 ! Thanks for your story, I enjoyed that. With my LX version, I drove it into the ground on the 5th flight due to orientation....I got another one, and learned to keep it in close. I adopted the habit of rocking the wing to restore orientation if I ever had a problem and flew for many flights after. Your correct. It was a dog as far as speed goes, but would always float in for nice landings. I bungeed mine, and belly landed it.

Comment

When I contacted BH about my problem and got the it's out of stock as pictured I told Alex that it was to bad they don't have Motion RC's customer support, value for the customer and that it was a shame that they are the only company in the states selling the LX product. so unless LX can meet Motions quality I'm SOL and Motion is my must have. R.:(
                    AMA 424553

Comment

I have the LX, but have yet to maiden it. It was $87 from BH a few months ago, so couldn't resist.. Mine is built with Freewing retracts, an eflite EDF unit, and Hitec servos. Would love to see a better version that doesn't require a rebuild though..

Comment

It would be cool to see an F-117 EDF done right! I could already imagine it with a working munitions bay.
                        As for the problems with black paint that will hold up and the orientation there are simple solutions. Since the F-117 Night Hawk was intended to be flown in secret stealthy missions in the cover of the night sky why not just fly it only at dusk with a good lighting package. Me and a friend have installed the GT Power light system from Motion on a few of our planes. We installed the red and green lights that are lit solid on the front of the wing tips and the flashing white lights on the rear of the wing tips plus the tail, bottom blinker and landing lights. This not only gave us a good view of the plane at a good distance but it also served as a great way to tell the orientation of the plane. We found it easier to tell in what direction the plane was heading at greater distances than we normally would during the day.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	1314429868.jpg Views:	1 Size:	240.0 KB ID:	67512

Comment

Originally posted by scooter genie View Post
                          Aros.....I Know freewing could make an excellent F117 ! Thanks for your story, I enjoyed that. With my LX version, I drove it into the ground on the 5th flight due to orientation....I got another one, and learned to keep it in close. I adopted the habit of rocking the wing to restore orientation if I ever had a problem and flew for many flights after. Your correct. It was a dog as far as speed goes, but would always float in for nice landings. I bungeed mine, and belly landed it.
                          Nice, that would have been an adventure with the bungee launch!
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Evoman, that would be sweet to fly a scale F-117 at dusk with a solid LED lighting package. Another cool way to explore the hobby. As for the photo, are we sure that's not a UFO? :Silly:
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

The bungee launches were uneventful.....perfect every time. The trick is the location of the hook. too far back....instant stall. too far forward, and she dives into the ground because the bungee cant let go ! here's a few pics of my homemade launcher with foot pedal.

Comment

That's really nice. So how many "oops!" went into finding the perfect hook location?
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                  That's really nice. So how many "oops!" went into finding the perfect hook location?
                                  Actually none ! There is a mathematical formula with the CG, but it escapes me now....I'll have to find my notes. The oops happened during trials figuring when to apply throttle. The perfect launch occurs when you apply throttle AFTER the bungee ring has left the hook. I usually don't apply throttle until the bungee has hit the ground. As soon as the plane leaves the rails, its already at flying speed ! The first launches were done with no power, just gliding to a landing.

Comment

That must be a great method once the CG and throttle management is nailed down.

Or...You could be a dope like me and try this method... LOL

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Don't feel bad about that that one....on my first power attempt, I applied throttle too soon, and the bungee didn't release and pulled the plane straight into the ground. You already figured out that your hook was too close to the CG so I'll leave that one alone :Whew:

Comment

Hopefully, The awesome new Freewing F117 won't need a bungee, because it will have some great trailing link landing gear !

Comment

Working...
                                        X