X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 80mm Super Scorpion Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 80mm Super Scorpion. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Awsome sport jet!! Flys like its on rails but easy on the landing or it can get bumpy.

Comment

I dig the V tail...I might have to grab one...
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
        I dig the V tail...I might have to grab one...
        I wouldn't recommend it. It flys WONDERFULLY, but it has to be the most troublesome jets I've owned on the ground. Getting it to track straight was a total PITA.

I even switched the nose wheel to the Mirage 80 dual wheel setup and it was STILL inconsistent... I think it had something to do with the main gear design.

It's a shame because when you did manage to yank it off the ground with full flaps, it flew REALLY well and sporty. Very sharp and precise little jet in the air.

Comment

I agree with Alpha. I bought mine used and it had a ton of play in the mains. I ended up jb welding the setscrews in on the mains, seemed to fix the problem. Did the fix about 30 flights ago, still holding strong. Even after some nasty bounces.Here is flights after gear fix. Have come to really enjoy this jet. 5000mah packs with inrunner motor, so I get around 4min max flying conservatively. Two flights after gear mod. Nothing crazy, the morning out of bounds crew was still present at the field, so kept it cool. I would get a newer generation sport jet, IMO. Unless you get a great deal on one of these.

Comment

Comment

Would this be one you can remove the LG and make her a belly lander?
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                Would this be one you can remove the LG and make her a belly lander?
                Due to the full flying stab and its neutral position... Belly landing is almost guaranteed to cause a break in the elevator's leading points from digging into the grass. : /

Ask me how I know haha!

PS - I DO have a spare set of SS elevators if anyone needs a set. :)

Comment

I only have about a dozen flights on mine but i have not had any tracking issues. I did put the nose wheel on a separate channel and mix it to the rudder so that i could trim it without affecting the rudder.

Comment

Hi gents, I am ARF with the Freewing SuSc 80mm, but I am a bit reluctant to take it to the air, given that I noticed that the stabilator (both sides) move too loose in its shaft. I verified that the shaft is solid set to the fuse, to be sure that the problem was not that the shaft itself was loose. Did anyone experience something like that? If so, how was it fixed?

Comment

Gents, I need some help here. Today I had an expert flyer to maiden my Super Scorpion and he was really near to crash it. May be I set to high expo on the controls but he had a lot of problems with the elevator control (had to fly pulling up at all time, like the plane was nose heavy, and he had a lot of problems with not enough elevator at landing), as well as too much sensitivity in the ailerons. The plane is set as per the manual instructions and I set the CG at 165mm from the engine intake lip. I am using a 6S battery, 4500mA. We are using a tarmac runway. I also noticed a lot of free, movement in the nose wheel, something I experienced before with the oleo struts in the Freewing Red Hawk (solved using the wire legs).
                      What I need from the pilots that had flown this plane already a few hours, are recommendations on throws, expo and CG location, because it looks like the manual settings are not as good as expected.
                      Thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

I just picked up one of these at the Florida e jet fest last weekend for 80.00. Besides some hanger rash, its in excellent condition. Everything works. We flew it a couple of times at the event, and it was all over the place. Come to find out, the 2 screws were missing from the verticals. Surprised we got it back in one piece. Got it all tore apart to go throug everything, and decided to do a re paint since I have trouble seeing red. I'm going to mimic one of the liverys from the original Aviation design Scorpions. A shame they dont make it anymore. It really is a unique jet. There's always the FMS 90mm, but this one is the perfect size for me.

Comment

Anyone else still flying one of these ?

Comment

Final coat of primer bfore scratch and shoot.

Comment

scooter genie What did you use to strip all the paint off the airframe? I'm in the process of trying to strip a foam P-51. I've had some success with using tape to pull the paint down to the bare foam, but that still leaves a lot of clean up.

Can't wait to see the paint job you do on this thing!

Comment

I used acetone to strip all the paint off. Make sure you test it under the canopy first, as some foams don't like acetone. It didn't harm this one at all and made the paint come off easy.

Comment

Playing around with Microsoft word to make some waterslide decals for the scorpion. Did a test print on plain paper to check size and resolution. I'm happy with it.

Comment

My first home-made waterslide decals. Was a lot easier to do than I thought it'd be. The scorpion is for the wing.

Comment

New 9 blade inrunner power system arrived in just 2 days from Motion. It's 9.5 grams heavier than the original 12 blade setup, but I think my batteries will thank me.

Comment

Here's what I have so far. All the grey is primer still left to paint. Only 2 more colors to shoot and I can start putting this one back together.

Comment

Working...
                                        X