X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70mm fan ugrade for the SU-35

I have the SU-35 and I want to upgrade the fans. I know my stock fans are 6 blade with a 2200kv motor. I see on the motion website that 2300kv fan/motor combos are listed in the spare parts section for 39.99. In the upgrade section is the 12 blade 2085kv combo for 119.... of course this combo means new ESCs and I end up spending more for the two fan/motors and escs than I did on the aircraft. SO.......... my question is this....
    is the extra 100kv in the 6 blade fan worth the 80.00??

Originally posted by dusmmdb View Post
    I have the SU-35 and I want to upgrade the fans. I know my stock fans are 6 blade with a 2200kv motor. I see on the motion website that 2300kv fan/motor combos are listed in the spare parts section for 39.99. In the upgrade section is the 12 blade 2085kv combo for 119.... of course this combo means new ESCs and I end up spending more for the two fan/motors and escs than I did on the aircraft. SO.......... my question is this....
    is the extra 100kv in the 6 blade fan worth the 80.00??
    While the extra 100kv would give you a slight increase in power... It'll still sound just as terrible.

You're better off upgrading to a proper set of 10-12b fans an doing it right. There are a few nice options that are very reasonably priced that will pull around 60 amps per side. (Very manageable with throttle input)

The FW 2150kv 12b setups or the FMS 1850kv 12b setups would work great! I prefer the FMS fans IME.

I'm sure my local buddy Kallend will chim in as that's what he's running in his SU-35.

Good luck!

Comment

just saw those..... out of stock....... hopefully back in stock soon

thanks for the info

Comment

I had the Freewing inrunner 12 blade 2085s in mine, and the thing absolutely screamed. Vertical as far as you can see, and whiplash head turns to follow the plane on a low fly by. I never thought about it in terms of "I will have more in the power system than I do in the plane", rather, I looked at it as an investment for all of the 70mm planes in the future. It was three years ago I was flying the SU-35 on them, and since that time the power system has been in two 70mm F-104s, the Banana fruits F-4, a HSD fiberglass F-16, a few homebuilt planes(F-16, A-4, F-18), and one of them is currently residing in my 70mm V2 F-16. The longevity of the system is apparent, as all of these models, with the exception of the current F-16, have met with less than desirable fates, and outside of changing the fan blades a few times, I am still using them on the motors and ESCs that I bought at the time. They are a great investment, and offer a great power option IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post
          I had the Freewing inrunner 12 blade 2085s in mine, and the thing absolutely screamed. Vertical as far as you can see, and whiplash head turns to follow the plane on a low fly by. I never thought about it in terms of "I will have more in the power system than I do in the plane", rather, I looked at it as an investment for all of the 70mm planes in the future. It was three years ago I was flying the SU-35 on them, and since that time the power system has been in two 70mm F-104s, the Banana fruits F-4, a HSD fiberglass F-16, a few homebuilt planes(F-16, A-4, F-18), and one of them is currently residing in my 70mm V2 F-16. The longevity of the system is apparent, as all of these models, with the exception of the current F-16, have met with less than desirable fates, and outside of changing the fan blades a few times, I am still using them on the motors and ESCs that I bought at the time. They are a great investment, and offer a great power option IMHO.
          so...... you like them?

LOL... thanks for the 411

now.... motionrc....get them in stock already

oh.... and make a plane that will accept my 120mm fans I have!!

Comment

While waiting for motion to get the 12b fans in so I can upgrade.. I decided to see if I could change this plane to a SU-37....

i fabbed some fuse extensions, added canards and repainted the bird to look like one

Comment

I was going for this

Comment

I just finished some weathering and I'm going to see how markings. I may just wait for motion to get the decal sheet for the 35 back in stock, or make some... or hit up Callie. Not sure yet, but I have time since I'm waiting on the fans

Comment

Looks fantastic ! What method did you use for the panel lines, They look pretty sharp in the pictures, and not overdone.

Comment

I'm confused and hoping someone can clear his up:
                    i have the 70mm 6s F16 coming... it says it is a 12b fan with a 3038-2300kv motor

in the spare parts section... the fan is listed as having a 3048-2150kv motor

then in upgrades on one 70mm plane is a 12b fan that has a 2085kv motor and that combo is three times more that the out of stock 2150kv

can anyone clear up the differences??

Comment

I use tape on the panel lines, and creep up to the line with the air brush. but when I pull the tape, often times I get too much paint and the don't look crisp like yours.

Comment

thanks
                        i actually use chalk from the hobby store....
                        then the airbrush with a fine spray and a black/clear mix

Comment

Well I got tired of waiting on the 12b fan with the 2150kv out runner to get in..... So I ordered a set of the 2085kv inrunner 12b fans.... Of course since they draw more amps I had to get bigger ESCs... So now the power system is more than the plane

Comment

Tech question:

i got my new power setup today and I'm going to be using two gecko ESCs with 8a sbec

can i just y connect to the receiver or do I need to disable one of the becs?

Comment

Tech Answer: YES, they can be Y-harnessed to the receiver.

" Most " receivers on the market today are rated by their manufacturers to handle up to 10 volts and some of the major name brand receivers like Futaba can go as high as 10.5 and 11.0 volts, so you do not " have " to disable one of the SBECs in a twin set since they produce 4.9 volts each.

I was taught that it was " Good Practice " to disable 1 SBEC if running twin setups or if you were planning on running a separate UBEC in conjunction with multiple ESCs that have built in SBECs to disable both and rely on the UBEC by itself.
                              The trick is to make sure that your combined voltage input to your receiver does not exceed its maximum voltage rating. Do that and you will be fine. :Cool:

Comment

Got my V2 in Friday with the "stock" 12 blade fans....
                                so I decided to do what I did to my V1 by making it a SU-33/37. This one I'm going to go with the flanker blue look.... hopefully she will look like this

Comment

Here are some pics from the progress.... still had a wing from the F22 I used to do V1. I cut the fuse extensions.... then dremeled a groove on the fuse side for a flush fit. Once I was happy with the two extensions I glued them in place. I ran out of material after making the first canard...so foam hunt: and I found some extra elevators i had bought for my V1. Cut the other canard from one of those. One I had those shapes I glued them on. (Not worried about working canards)... maybe if I do another.
                                  Once they were in place ...I filled the gap with a bondo type material
                                  i got my paint ordered and once it is in I will get to paining

Comment

Finally got a day to paint number 2.... a little different than planned... went a little crazy with the splintering....

still need to to do numbers in the front.... but I'm happy with it

Comment

Here is one and two sitting next to each other.... waiting on some graphics so I can finish them

Comment

Originally posted by dusmmdb View Post
                                        Finally got a day to paint number 2.... a little different than planned... went a little crazy with the splintering....

still need to to do numbers in the front.... but I'm happy with it
                                        Wow! Nice work

Comment

Working...
                                        X