X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-82 Fighter

My father was an F-82 pilot during the Korean War, This particular fighter is not well known, but in it's short military history, it shot down MIG Jets in one on one dog fights. This fighter, the F-82, was the "Fastest" propeller driven plane of World War 11 and the Korean War. I would of course love to see an RC model be built. It would have to be the fastest RC plane built in order to be historically correct. My father flew the "All Weather" fighter with the huge "DONG", as they called it, between the two fuselages. This was a major break threw for being able to fly in all weather conditions. I would love to hear back from anyone out there that has interest in the F-82 and helping to get it into RC production. Would be a real testament to my fathers life.

Thanks.

I seen one long ago in balsa. I'm not sure who made the ARF, but I do remember the twin mustang. You are so right about it being an amazing aircraft

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
      I seen one long ago in balsa. I'm not sure who made the ARF, but I do remember the twin mustang. You are so right about it being an amazing aircraft
      The balsa ARF is made by VQ and is still avail

Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks to War Thunder I have become very familiar with the F-82. While it is an interesting plane that packs a lot of fire power it isn't that maneuverable and has a low roll rate. Its a descent warbird over all but its flight characteristics are not my cup of tea.
        I suggest trying it out in War Thunder first to see how it appeals to you.

Comment

I don't think that's the reasoning behind his wanting the 82. Besides that, I've found PC games that simulate full scale planes doesn't translate to the rc realm to often. That said war thunder is one of my favorite games to play :)

Comment

I had been thinking that it might just be possible to build your own F-82 Twin mustang using off the shelf parts. First you would need a complete P-51 were the wings are of a two piece design. The only two models that are designed like that is the Dynam 1200mm P-51 and the Freewing 1410mm P-51. The only parts that will need to be fabricated is the center wing section and the rear elevator. The only other modification that would could be done is to relocate the retracts further inboard but it is not really necessary to have a working plane, but nice to do for the complete scale look.
            Then maybe do a counter propeller modification.

Other parts
            2nd fuselage
            vertical stabilizer
            Longer wing spars
            2nd ESC
            Y servo harness for the rear stabilizer servos and Ecs
            Click image for larger version  Name:	F-82 twin mustang.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	73473

Comment

Hello Evo,
              Bashing an F-82 is actually not a new novel idea. There are several successful accounts of this documented over on RCG.
              Here is a link to a maiden vid of a HK Durafly bashed Twin Mustang.
              https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6454
              Also Dynam and Freewing are not the only mustang designs with two piece wings whereas FMS makes it in a 1450 and 1700 size also
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                I had been thinking that it might just be possible to build your own F-82 Twin mustang using off the shelf parts. First you would need a complete P-51 were the wings are of a two piece design. The only two models that are designed like that is the Dynam 1200mm P-51 and the Freewing 1410mm P-51. The only parts that will need to be fabricated is the center wing section and the rear elevator. The only other modification that would could be done is to relocate the retracts further inboard but it is not really necessary to have a working plane, but nice to do for the complete scale look.
                Then maybe do a counter propeller modification.

Other parts
                2nd fuselage
                vertical stabilizer
                Longer wing spars
                2nd ESC
                Y servo harness for the rear stabilizer servos and Ecs
                Click image for larger version Name:	F-82 twin mustang.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	73473
                A couple of years back I saw where the guys at Nitro Planes built one using two 800mm planes it looked pretty easy to build and flew great.

Comment

Working...
                X