You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Jet to Choose - Mig-21, F-5, or F-86?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Jet to Choose - Mig-21, F-5, or F-86?

Opinions please from folks who fly these three jets. I have an Avanti-S. Great jet, performs really well and very easy to fly. Operates with ease from our club's grass runway. Now I want to get a FW military jet. I have other EDF experience including a hot jet, the Jepe Pyranha, so should be able to handle any of the FW miltary jets. Local pilots have the Mig-21 and the F-86. I really like the way both fly. Like the looks of each in the air. Mig-21 really looks jet-like to me, and the F-86 flies in a scale-like manner. The F-86 has a long takeoff run on our short grass field, whereas the Mig-21 has no trouble at all. Mig-21 has a fantastic speed range. F-86 has a lower Kv motor so runs a bit longer on a 6S 5000 LiPo. I also like the F-5 a lot, but haven't seen one in person. With its small wheels I'm guessing it might take off about like the F-86 does on our grass field. Since no one locally has the F-5 it might be neat to get one of those (I'd likely get the Swiss version for better visibilty) just to have something different. Of the three jets, I'm guessing the Mig-21 is the hardest to see with its silver or gray paint scheme and smallish wings. Yeah, I know, buy all three!! I would but my modeling cookie jar is low at present so I can only get one. Decisions, decisions...

I have the Mig-21 and F-5, and I picked up a second hand F-86 today and will fly it tomorrow, but I have seen them fly in person. Of the 3, here's how I rank them:

1. Mig-21 - Great looking cold war jet, gobs of power, but yes the silver can be hard to see (and one of the reasons I painted mine as seen in my avatar).

2. F-5 - This thing sounds AWESOME! It's also pretty fast. But yeah, the small wheels could make takeoff runs on grass longer.

3. F-86 - Haven't flown one, but they seem to fly very well, and pretty easy to land (the Mig and F-5 are a little more challenging I think).
    Pat

Comment

Originally posted by hotdogx View Post
      Opinions please from folks who fly these three jets. I have an Avanti-S. Great jet, performs really well and very easy to fly. Operates with ease from our club's grass runway. Now I want to get a FW military jet. I have other EDF experience including a hot jet, the Jepe Pyranha, so should be able to handle any of the FW miltary jets. Local pilots have the Mig-21 and the F-86. I really like the way both fly. Like the looks of each in the air. Mig-21 really looks jet-like to me, and the F-86 flies in a scale-like manner. The F-86 has a long takeoff run on our short grass field, whereas the Mig-21 has no trouble at all. Mig-21 has a fantastic speed range. F-86 has a lower Kv motor so runs a bit longer on a 6S 5000 LiPo. I also like the F-5 a lot, but haven't seen one in person. With its small wheels I'm guessing it might take off about like the F-86 does on our grass field. Since no one locally has the F-5 it might be neat to get one of those (I'd likely get the Swiss version for better visibilty) just to have something different. Of the three jets, I'm guessing the Mig-21 is the hardest to see with its silver or gray paint scheme and smallish wings. Yeah, I know, buy all three!! I would but my modeling cookie jar is low at present so I can only get one. Decisions, decisions...
      All 3 are great planes!! The best for grass will be the Mig-21 though since its gear is the best of all of them.
      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I have all three. I have the FW 80mm 1680kv unit in the mig and love it. I run everything from a 4000mah to a 5800mah in it and it doesn't really seem to care. With throttle management this set up is a mizer on the batteries. Of all three the mig has the widest flight envelop. It can be a rocket ship or floater with no bad tendencies. The airframe is tough and can take some abuse. Trust me, I know! Also, have to agree the Mig will definitely be better on grass. I have the same set up in the F86 and it flies great as well, however I will have to go with the Mig of the three choices.

Comment

I've had the F-5. It's fast but has to be flown fast or it wallows in turns. It was not my favorite. My flying buddy has the F-86 and in stock form, it is very difficult to get off our rough grass field. He crashed it into the tall weeds at the end of the runway. After fixing it, he'll only fly it after the grass has been mowed short. High rates on the ELE on take off and it gets off the ground OK and flies well. I don't know about the Mig.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

I have the F-86 and MiG-21, they both fly really well. The only complaint with the Mig is that the plane is hard to see at times for me on an overcast day. Sometimes I struggle to see it's orientation, I have the high visibility scheme (the Blue one). Sunny days are much better. I think the MiG takes off and lands a little easier than the F-86, it's gear is further apart. The F-86 with narrow gear and a cross wind can be entertaining. Lastly if you yank and bank the MiG the nose will try and tuck under a bit which I believe is a trait of the delta wing.

My maiden with the F-86.

Comment

Working...
              X