X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinger vs Avanti

looking to pickup a sport jet. Whats the main difference here.
    AMA 1102566

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either sport jet. However, due to the evolution of technology, features, and price point of the jets in Freewings line-up, the Avanti delivers more for the money, and less money at that. They both fly amazing, can perform just about anything you throw at it, have a fantastic flight envelope (both slow and high speed), are extremely predictable in all flight conditions in comparison to most scale jets, do well on hard and soft surface terrain, and have color schemes that are rather easy to see in the air.

With that that said though, in comparison to the Stinger, the Avanti provides the following that the Stinger does not: a better look (in my opinion), lighting system, lower entrance price point, has trailing link struts and that makes it more versatile, is lighter and can take a smaller battery if need be (or the same size as the Stinger), provides underbelly protection, canopy latch mechanism, more easily detachable wings with single electrical plug connections for the wings flight surfaces, more battery compartment space for your electronic needs, servoless nose gear doors, split flaps, power system hatch/cover (the Stinger's wings need to be removed for EDF and ESC access), and magnetic nose cone. So, to me, you not only get more for the money, you get more for LESS money, ha-ha. Now that's a deal right there.

I hope that helps. :Cool:

Comment

What he said. ^

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
        What he said. ^
        Ditto!

Comment

What they both meant to say.....lol

Plane

Comment

What about the new Fms Super Scorp
            AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
              What about the new Fms Super Scorp
              Since it's so new and unreleased, there's no proof in the pudding of its reliability, capability, quality control, value, etc. We'll see how it pans out and I wish them the best. However, I have a very hard time believing it will beat the value a person gets with the Freewing Avanti S.

Comment

if you are thinking you might upgrade the power unit go for the stinger the 80mm fan in the advanti has very limited options for upgrading from anywhere but 90mm fans for the stinger are everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
                  looking to pickup a sport jet. Whats the main difference here.
                  I got a chance to see the Stinger in person for the first time last 4th of July. My first thought was - wow that looks exactly like the Avanti. The lines and the tail look just the same. I agree with the posts above, but just wanted to add....I don't think there's a ton of difference in the airframe. I also thought the look of the flight was very, very similar.

Comment

I had both for a very short time. When I flew the Avanti S, I sold the Stinger 90.
                    Although the S90 is only heavier by 200g, it felt heavier to me, especially in how it landed (it seemed to land heavily). The Avanti also is able to get off grass in a shorter distance. The S90 didn't have the trailing link mains, so I installed them from another plane. They made the S90 land so much better but it still wasn't quite as light on its feet when it touched down. I also felt the S90 burned up more juice to fly and hence, had a shorter flight time. My Avanti floats a lot better than the S90 but is just as fast. Being newer, the Avanti has a fresher look, more sleek. Those who have seen both my planes at the field, gravitate towards the Avanti. One fellow ordered one shortly after seeing mine and someone who bought the FMS Avanti is starting to suffer from "plane envy" and may be having a bit of buyer's remorse. Oh, and did I mention that I flew my Avanti for 8 minutes one day and based on what was left in the battery, I could have gone 10 minutes (just doing a duration test and to prove a point). I don't think the S90 could have done that.

Comment

Originally posted by jay bennett View Post
                      if you are thinking you might upgrade the power unit go for the stinger the 80mm fan in the advanti has very limited options for upgrading from anywhere but 90mm fans for the stinger are everywhere
                      Agreed.. I have both the Stinger90 but on 8s & the Avanti stock other than the 1820kv Inrunner for a little more Stink behind the exhaust .. I have been flying the Avanti a heck of a lot more than the Stinger because I find personally it performs just that little better.. Have logged well over 75flts & pushing towards 100 flts.. The Stinger hasn't had a look in since I bought the Avanti..:)

Comment

Well boys I ordered the 8S 90mm for Project X, putting it in the Avanti...... lets see in it holds up...be ready Sunday awoooooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by jetlag View Post
                          Well boys I ordered the 8S 90mm for Project X, putting it in the Avanti...... lets see in it holds up...be ready Sunday awoooooooooo
                          You're putting a 8S 90mm in the 80mm Avanti? Just making sure I understand correctly :). Ha-ha

If so, you may want to put an 8S 80mm setup in the Avanti instead if you're going HV. It's plenty of power and will save a ton of work.

Comment

Nah, ive got a great set of tools. Install will be fine, will the wings stay on in a 400 foot dive full throttle when I pull up?!? Blahaha stay tuned

Comment

Well TCAT it seems you are correct, there is basically no way of putting 90mm in it without losing strength or integrity to fuse. The foam would be paper thin if there was any left, so where do i get a 8s 80mm?

Comment

Effluxrc has some great service and fair pricing. For the money, a Jetfan EDF/Fan unit is a fantastic value, balanced amazingly well during manufacturing, lightweight, and provides fantastic performance and sound. For Jetfan 80 (stands for 80mm) setups, it depends how much current you're willing to accept. Many choose a HET 1738kv motor or 1865kv motor to use on 8S. Below is a chart showing the current and power (among other stats) of the various motors and LiPo voltage using the Jetfan 80, but you may find the current higher once tested in the aircraft. The chart will help choose which motor you find most appropriate for 8S. :Cool:

For the Jetfan 80 shroud and fan unit:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X