You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LX Model F4 Phantom twin 70mm Proper build.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LX Model F4 Phantom twin 70mm Proper build.

My last F4 Phantom build was converting this model from 70mm twin edf to sningle 90mm edf. The 90mm jet flies well but its a bit heavy at 8.5lbs. When the FMS 1850kv 2860 12bladed EDF motors came out, I decided to build another KIT and see if it would fly lighter and for longer period of time. I had to make several minor changes and will include photos. The battery compartment was carved out to make room for the Admiral 6S 5000mah battery. The ESC cover was removed and replaced with a cheater hole. I used 80A Hobby Wing ESCs, The static tests with the FMS motors at full Throttle for 2 minutes drained the 6S 5000mah battery down to 25%. I also tried the same test with twin Freewing motors 2150kv 3048. The test results showed the same outcome of 25% residual battery charge left. The final result ended up with a flying weight of around 6.5lbs. I used all freewing sevos. The stock front LG is a pull pull system that is very likely to fall apart during a rough landing. That is why I swapped it out my 90mm build with a Freewing F16 90mm LG. I will most likely do the same thing for this build as well. I hope this will help anyone who is trying to do the same thing. I saw the Posting wondering if Freewing will ever build an F4. In my opinion, this LX F4 Kit with upgraded electronics will be the closest thing to Freewing quality.

I am really looking forward to this build. It will be interesting to see what the end result is compared to the single 90mm. So far it has a weight advantage over the 90mm. There has been a big debate over what would be the ideal setup for a future Freewing model.
    So far we can only speculate without an actual test bed. But your work might help show and maybe even tip the scale of what would be the ideal setup for the F4- Phantom.
    Its great to also know you will be testing with a set of 3048-2300Kv which are the same motors used on the 6S 70mm F-16. They seem to be one of the best 70mm EDF currently available.

Comment

This my second time building the twin 70mm FMS edf. I built one for a friend of mine a month or so ago. It flew great. We got 3 minutes of flight time. The motors sounded awesome, and the cheater hole added to the jet sound. A world of difference in terms of sound in comparison to the original LX motors. The original LX motors are whiney and make an awful unpleasant sound. We had 14% battery left after the flight. After the Maiden flight, my friend decided to fly the F4 himself. The F4 Phantom crashed less than 2 minutes into the flight due to the melted battery connector. Despite my repeated warnings not to use a T connector (also known as Dean's connector) he flew the jet at full throttle and melted the connector in flight and disconnected the battery power. I am posting the photo of the crashed jet. The flying characteristics are similar to the Freewing Mig21, however the landing characteristics are not. You need to come in with just a little throttle to stop the F4 from stalling. With that said, the KIT comes with brakes and landing gear to stop you from running out of runway. You can buy the KIT at Banana Hobby or General Hobby. I like the customer service at Banana, and I live 20 minutes away. They run out of the kits quick, but re stock them on regular basis. The most important thing I failed to mention is the fact that I eliminated the Slats. I just glued them in with hot glue. You don't need the ongoing maintenance and the headache of the Slats. It flew just fine without them. The flaps help the jet slow down and you don't need any elevator compensation when they are deployed. There was not much difference in terms of thrust or speed between the FMS and LX motors. The speed of the F4 is comparable to the F86 Sabre.

Comment

Here is a video of the Maiden Flight. The reason the F4 is flying so high, is to make sure we didn't crash and had a chance to trim it.

Comment

Will we have the freewing single 80mm phantom by Christmas?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG JETS JOE View Post
            Will we have the freewing single 80mm phantom by Christmas?
            has this plane been announced? Or are you just hoping?

Comment

Like a lot of us, just hoping.

Comment

Working...
              X