X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built here in Ft. Worth. Cool plane!

I would also go for a Boeing B-47 Stratojet.
    Some guys having building a scale Strat for several years now. Been a tough road cause the USAF made Boeing destroy all of the drawings.

cool thread on the build over on WF:

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I recently saw this video of the B-1 Lancer that just made an appearance at this years Oshkosh air show making an amazing low level pass. As I saw it roar by with its four engines on full afterburner I said to my self it sure would be cool to see an RC B-1 with quad 80mm EDF's!

Comment

ParkFlyerPlastics.com has a Hustler; mostly plans and vacuum-formed parts, like nacelles, windows, etc. There have been a couple builds with threads on RCG - but info on their flight performance is absent. It looks good; all foam with a built-up wing - options for pusher props or small (50mm?) EDF's. It's not small, either, so 70mm fans used on a B-58 would make for a truly monstrous plane. Or one terribly out of scale as regards the engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
          I found this early attempt of a RC B-58 build from back in 1995. Unfortunately at the time EDF units were not available and turbines were probably too expensive if they were available for RC use. So the builder had to resort to ducted fans powered by nitro engines. Too bad this build could not wait till better technology was available. The vibration from the engines ultimately caused the radio to cut off which let to its demise.

Evoman I was flying jets at that time (yellow aircraft F-16C powered by OS 91 and Dynamax fan). Model airplane turbines consisted of exactly one unit. It was made by SWB turbines. I saw them demonstrate it at Jets over Deland back in 1995. They flew it in a big red F-18. After that turbines took over the jet scene until modern EDF's came about.

The landing gear for my F-16 cost me more back then than the new A-10 from motion. And I had to spend three months building her.

Anyway here is a good B-58 video
          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

A better solution would be 4 64mm units and just one large battery, the bomb-pod could be an add-on battery if you wanted more fly time, how's that as an option?

I was planning on building a 67 inch version of this bird with either two 70mm or 4 50mm / 64mm fans, either way this bird would be fun to fly!
            Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

Then there's the B-47 Stratojet. Wow ! Some guys from Houston over on Wattflyer have been building a scale model since 2013. You would not believe the scale detail considering all of the original dwgs from the full scale were destroyed.

I've been following it all these years just to learn more about some f the scratchbuilding techniques. Amazing engineering going on here.

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Sorry friends, while the Convair B-58 Hustler is one my top three favorite bombers of all time, it is not Project Foil. I had the privilege of watching Dorian Anderson's scratchbuilt 4x70mm B-58 come to life a few years ago, eventually watching it fly in 2013, and having crawled all over that model I can safely say I'd rather develop a Blackbird or Concorde or Lancer or Spirit or Vulcan if I'm going to attempt "crazy/big/expensive/limited". The only other commonly requested models more difficult to *cost-effectively* execute in foam EDF PNP than a Hustler would be a BUFF, XB-70, or Harrier/VTOL'd F-35. All of these are on my personal dreamlist as a modeler for sure, but far from cost-effective as a developer. Every year we do include a curveball Project in the mix to test market appetites, and in general I'd say we push the "New" envelope more than most, but overall the fundamental priority is to stay alive by wisely managing risk.

While a stunning and gorgeous aircraft to watch in the sky, Dorian's 4x70mm B-58 presented a host of challenges in composite/wood that would be expensive to execute in foam. I consider Dorian a Master Builder far more skilled than I and we mulled over some of those challenges he overcame, while the whole time in my head I'm thinking down the list from a mass-production standpoint: "bad, expensive, bad, bad, expensive, bad, expensive...." As an example, the nacelles would be about the length of the 64mm F-105, and there'd be four of them, and the length of the sharp lipped duct would rob efficiency. Necessarily thickening the nacelles and long pylons so they'd be strong enough to bear the nacelle's loads would change the overall proportions of the original aircraft to being thicker and more rounded, which for a sleek delta like the Hustler would seem a crime. The look of the aircraft would begin to change, and on an aircraft like this at this scale, it would be more noticeable than some of us realize. I drew a quick dimensioning analysis in 2015 to see what the actual proportions would be for the Hustler in foam, and it looked "off". Ground clearance is a huge concern also, and judging from the flak we get about oversizing A-10 wheels for grass ops I'm certain I'd get hung for how non-scale the Hustler's undercarriage would have to be :). I can't put 1.5" wheels on a 70" long PNP.

The model's size, even at 4x70mm, actually isn't a concern in my book. I think the size would be great! But that size would directly translate to cost. Fitting it in a mold, then fitting it in a shippable box, then us paying for that shipping cost out to customers. The adage that bigger flies better is true, but bigger is also more expensive and I'd openly wonder about the mass market appeal of a 4x70mm bomber that required four 6s 4000s to fly well and easily cost north of $600. Could a six figure investment be recouped? If we're honest with the data, probably not.

In another attempt to try to put this guessing thread back on track, Project Foil isn't bare aluminum, either. :-P

Instead of sidetracking this Project Foil guessing game thread, someone should start a separate Wishlist thread or Poll thread so we can keep better track of people's wishlists for aircraft of all sizes/types/formats. They're always fun to see, and do contribute to our internal discussions, so keep the lists coming! The one thing I'd ask is please don't set one model in your mind as the only thing that would make you happy. We're part of a community and part of my dream is for us as a community to support the advancement of the community at large. That means that sometimes a small warbird is going to hit shelves for guys with smaller budgets or fields, sometimes it's going to be that big scale jet, sometimes it's going to be a trainer because new pilots are critical to growing the hobby, and on and on. Sometimes we're going to release something right up your alley, which is great, but sometimes we won't, and we hope that's okay, too. I hope more of us can root for the expansion of the hobby as a concept unrooted from any single product. "Something for everyone" is key. As a modeler, and as a developer, I have come to embrace the realization that even if every single full size aircraft ever made had a well flying, well priced, well serviced RC model counterpart for people to buy, this Hobby *still* wouldn't be growing in the way it should be. It's not about making a Hustler and a Concorde and a Starship and a Mars and a Hun and an Owl and a Gannet and a Swoose Goose and a Flying Pancake and a Pfeil and a Fulcrum and a Lancer and a Fishbed and Dragon Rapide and a Short Stirling and an Eagle and a Voodoo and a Viggen and a Horten and another F-16 and a Beaufighter and a Dart and Hayate and a Shinryu and Lancaster and a Lancair and a Libellula and a Tomcat and a Foxbat and a Moonbat, and, and, and, and, and, and, AND, and, and.... Rather, it's about inspiring and engaging people of all ages to fly something, and keep flying, and do so safely, while having lots of fun, and hopefully sharing that fun with someone new. We each have a bigger role to play in the proliferation of our beloved Hobby, my friends. It's us, not the planes, that will do it.

Actually on second thought I do need to make a Moonbat.
                I thought it was important to have this great insight documented in it's appropriate thread for feature reference to conclude the fate of a foam B-58 Hustler.

This was originally posted in this thread: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...guesses/page44

Comment

Good call, Evoman, thanks for posting!

I'm not saying we'll never attempt it, I'm just saying it's a long approach to final.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

If ever produced I would be willing to pay double what your most expensive foam warbird goes for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                      I found this early attempt of a RC B-58 build from back in 1995. Unfortunately at the time EDF units were not available and turbines were probably too expensive if they were available for RC use. So the builder had to resort to ducted fans powered by nitro engines. Too bad this build could not wait till better technology was available. The vibration from the engines ultimately caused the radio to cut off which let to its demise.

Dude, back in 1995 there were no turbines...well maybe one, the SWB turbine (in that red F-18 they flew). I flew internal combustion (OS91, tuned pipe, dynamax fan) DF at the time. They didn't vibrate too much. And they were FAST.
                      There were a lot of cool designs back then. I remember the A-7's, Rafale's, etc. There is just a lack of good video on the net about those days. But the birds were good. You had to change plugs and o-rings for the pipe every few flights.
                      I doubt the vibration did anything.

Early in the video, you can hear someone in the background asking if people had radio trouble. I think he was shot down. Back then, if someone turned on a radio on your channel, that could happen. Also, some locations just seemed to have a lot of radio issues.
                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I came across these photos I took of Dorian's scratchbuilt Hustler from a few years ago. Outstanding craftsmanship!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.JPG
Views:	1115
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	156165Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893.JPG
Views:	1314
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	156166
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1892.JPG
Views:	1130
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	156164Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1895.JPG
Views:	1076
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	156167
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha, I'll make it easy for you..... just make everything, then everyone will be happy! Well, maybe not even then.

Comment

Nope..

Screams for F-4 Phantom... They made a Phantom and nobody is happy with the color. Many want a different version. People who can't land complain about the landing gear being the problem....
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                              Early in the video, you can hear someone in the background asking if people had radio trouble. I think he was shot down. Back then, if someone turned on a radio on your channel, that could happen. Also, some locations just seemed to have a lot of radio issues.
                              We also didn't ever check voltage at the RX...

After starting to test that I figured out that we were asking for trouble by not providing adequate power to the RX and servos.
                              A large number of "glitches" were likely due to the radio system not having enough current delivered by the battery and/or inadequate servo size.

Max reliable current through any (even heavy duty) reciever on/off switch harness is 7 amps. 4 X common "standard" servos (appx 40 to 50 in-oz rated torque) could demand 9 amps without stalling any.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Great pics Alpha! Deltas are sooooooo cool, esp. the Hustler.

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                  Nope..

Screams for F-4 Phantom... They made a Phantom and nobody is happy with the color. Many want a different version. People who can't land complain about the landing gear being the problem....
                                  Who says nobody is happy with the color? I love it!

Comment

I would buy this one in a heart beat!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                      I came across these photos I took of Dorian's scratchbuilt Hustler from a few years ago. Outstanding craftsmanship!
                                      Boy, I’ll say! Flat -out beautiful. Any chance you got to see it fly?

Comment

Wow this thread died out!!!
                                        Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

Yeah!!!!! Bring it..either one would be cool. I like the new airliner but i think they missed the mark.. I would have def preferred a hustler.

Comment

Working...
                                          X