X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More big Warbirds, please!

Hello everyone. I got the 1600mm Spitfire last week and have been flying the @$$ off it solid. This plane is VERY cool. I really didn't want a Spitfire, but I wanted a large warbird, and I just can't bring myself to spend the coin on an FMS plane again. So, I closed my eyes and bought the big Spitfire from Flightline through Motion.

After putting it together, I changed my whole outlook on the Spitfire. This is one really cool plane. It looks fantastic and flies outstanding. I can't get enough of it. And after flying jets for the last few years, it's so nice to get 7-8 minutes out of a high performing plane. Doing touch-and-goes with this plane is the most rewarding flying I've done in years. It looks amazing, sounds great, is just enough of a challenge, I can see it a mile away (exaggerating), and you can do any maneuver with it. No problem.

So, brings me to the question for you Motion guys. It's really more of a suggestion than a question:

Can you please come out with more of these 1600mm single engine warbirds? Anything will do. A Corsair would be THE most outstanding, but any WWII single engined warbird this size would do. I would buy them all. In my humble opinion, this is the best mix of size, cost and performance. I have two of your P-38s, and I think this plane is heads and shoulders above it. Much better flyer, simpler and all around superior model.

Just wanted to share my thoughts from a loyal Motion customer and make a suggestion. I know large warbirds this size would be a hit out there in the market. The only competition is FMS, and these Flightline planes are far superior in every respect.

Thanks for listening.
    Attached Files

Very nice plane! I stated on another thread that I've suggested to Horizon at least twice that they come out with a fleet of warbirds the same size as the Carbon Z T28.. 78" span! That would be epic. If you don't have a CZ T28 yet, get 1! Flies amazing with or without as3x, so if you have the means to haul it, it's great. $150 more than the spitfire, but worth it

Comment

sign me up for the corsair please

Comment

Yeah I don't know why the emphasis on the small birds. The landing gear on the small ones is too fragile for our field. A good 1600mm series of warbirds would be awesome. I agree FMS quality is lacking. But glued in servos, no gear doors, wire gear, etc are also not what I am looking for. There has to be a way to offer a decent grass capable bird that is rugged for a decent price.
        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I love all my big warbirds and sold off the crappy little ones that don’t hold up to the abuse.
          The new Spitfire is incredible, keep that type coming! Would love a Hawker Hurricane that size.

I want a B-29 that’s so big it will fly on four 5000mAh 4s batteries. One for each motor...
          or 2 8000mAh 6s... Yeah, seriously. Go big or stay at home on the porch with this one.

Also, start building RC like real aircraft. Make servos, landing gear, and any other critical components on large airplanes replaceable at the location. I don’t want to rip a model apart to pull four feet of wiring out of it. Every component should unplug at its location in the airframe with a wiring lead that doesn’t need removed.

Develop some method of coating the inside of the injection mold with perhaps a very thin plastic before the foam is injected to create a smooth finish. The end result would not only look fantastic but be smooth and very strong, like stressed skin. No more bubbly foam and less carbon fiber to provide support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19446.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	110740

Name:	image_19439.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	110743

Name:	B6B16567-EF22-4C6C-8960-E2F71379D741.jpeg
Views:	421
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	110747

Bob

Comment

I completely understand the challenge the model companies have: make a decent plane that people will want for a price people will pay. Horizon has their niche (under $300 park flyer that doesn't have to be too scale). Seems that the Motion customer is looking for something more substantive ($300-400, more scale and robust and performs better - i.e., 4S or 6S).

I've had a couple of the bombers and I sold them all. They look cool, but were just good for buzzing around. Biggest accomplishment is a good take-off and landing. For my taste, fighters are much more fun to fly. They're also less expensive and complex, easier to store and haul around.

A nice series of WWII fighters in 1600mm size range would be outstanding: Hurricane would be great, FW-190, Me-109, Corsair, Thunderbolt, P-40....I'd buy them all.

BTW, love the sharkmouth Spitfire. Very cool.,

Comment

Thanks AZ

I agree with everything you’ve said. Bombers are boring to me. I’ve had a B-17 the same scale as the new Liberator for four years now. It has 55 flights on it and typically I now only fly it on Memorial Day and Veterans Day weekends. It’s downfall is a Bombay area so full of wiring a mouse couldn’t find a spot to hitch a ride. I’m not big into Liberators and will pass on that. If a B-29 were ever produced we could only hope it’s big and the Bombay will provide a way to drop something to make it less boring during flight.

Of the newer folks in my area with less than 10 years experience. None of them really build, a couple dabble at it. The majority are indeed into the $150-$250 range of plane. Sadly several of them can’t actually fly., or at least not well. They depend on AS3X and especially “Safe” mode to enjoy this hobby. If that’s enjoyment...? I’ve seen sooooo many crashes it’s ridicules. A rudder, oh, you mean that thing that steers it on the ground... Several individuals in this bracket purchase airplanes based on two things, the biggest battery they own is a 3s and many lack good flying skills. The Commander and AT-6 from Eflite should have used a 4s system but instead catered to this crowd and offer 3s plus “Safe”... which equals sales and the company knows that. The low end crowd flies on the venerable 2200mAh 3s. In order to advance into anything bigger, you must upgrade not only your batteries but the charging systems and ultimately perhaps even invest in a generator. That’s pricey, $$$$. Of the regulars I fly with, only six of us own a generator as we have no power available at the park, so we bring our own. We then, have adapted to large 4s, 6s, 8s... This is probably a good thing as it keeps the “Safe” crowd on a short leash.

For me, bigger is better, the 1600mm warbirds are the perfect size for a single engine. I’d prefer the twins be scale to that and be larger indeed. I love my Tigercat and Lightning but wish they were bigger, flying on a 6s per engine.

My giant scale DH 82 flies on an 8s.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	110772

Comment

It is great to hear of someone else that tried out an airplane they really were not that interested in at first but later saw the planes true beauty. That is exactly what I have fount to be true with not just airplanes but also cars when I use to work at a dealership. Airplanes like the F6F Hellcat and the AJS-37 Viggen have become my most favorite airplanes after trying them out on combat flight simulators. At first I did not think much off them but later fell in love with the way they flew. My love for the Hellcat is what led me into this hobby when I discovered the Dynam Hellcat.
                The main reason I am always trying to make people aware of the Flight sims like War thunder and DCS is for this very reason. It is the best way to become better acquainted with more airplanes that you may have not known about before.
                War thunder is the best at introducing you to a vast number of warbirds from USA,Brittan, Russia, Germany, Japan, Italy and recently France. It is free to down load and play for PC, PS4 and soon to come Xbox 360.

By the way I too didn't think much of the Spitfire before trying them out in battle in War thunder.

Comment

Dude i dont know how you get away with shamelessly plugging those sims all the time.
                  Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I'm on board with the Big Warbirds as well. I would bite on the Eflite Carbon Z T-28, but for the price it doesnt offer much other than size. No LEDs?, No gear doors? Way too much money for plain and basic, BUT...it's YUGE and i like that. I've got the whole line of Grumman Cats in my garage and all 4S. They were my project , ive sprayed and callie graphics'd them all up, now I'd like to move on to bigger and better and up my fleet to 6S. I'd say noting smaller than 1700mm. I'm tempted to buy the giant P-40 from BananaHobby and put my own stuff in it?? Or just stick with the Gas engine approach. IDK. Just getting really bored with so many 4S small airplanes. Ole-Timer...your info on Eflites sales approach and the "comfort" of the whole "2200 3S" was spot on. I was stuck in that rut once as well.
                    Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

I'd bite on a 1600 or 1700mm hellcat!

Comment

Originally posted by spec450 View Post
                        I'm on board with the Big Warbirds as well. I would bite on the Eflite Carbon Z T-28, but for the price it doesnt offer much other than size. No LEDs?, No gear doors? Way too much money for plain and basic, BUT...it's YUGE and i like that. I've got the whole line of Grumman Cats in my garage and all 4S. They were my project , ive sprayed and callie graphics'd them all up, now I'd like to move on to bigger and better and up my fleet to 6S. I'd say noting smaller than 1700mm. I'm tempted to buy the giant P-40 from BananaHobby and put my own stuff in it?? Or just stick with the Gas engine approach. IDK. Just getting really bored with so many 4S small airplanes. Ole-Timer...your info on Eflites sales approach and the "comfort" of the whole "2200 3S" was spot on. I was stuck in that rut once as well.

The T-28 is one of the best flying planes ever and is a huge crowd favorite, the BH P-40 is only good for the foam everything else is junk.
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

TiredIron I agree with both of those statements. Thats why I was saying I could put my own stuff in the P-40. I'm not against getting the T-28 totally. Its just pretty damn pricey because thats how Eflite is. Odds are I'll still end up breaking and buying it. Eflite wins again :Crying2:
                          Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                            Thanks AZ

I agree with everything you’ve said. Bombers are boring to me. I’ve had a B-17 the same scale as the new Liberator for four years now. It has 55 flights on it and typically I now only fly it on Memorial Day and Veterans Day weekends. It’s downfall is a Bombay area so full of wiring a mouse couldn’t find a spot to hitch a ride. I’m not big into Liberators and will pass on that. If a B-29 were ever produced we could only hope it’s big and the Bombay will provide a way to drop something to make it less boring during flight.

Of the newer folks in my area with less than 10 years experience. None of them really build, a couple dabble at it. The majority are indeed into the $150-$250 range of plane. Sadly several of them can’t actually fly., or at least not well. They depend on AS3X and especially “Safe” mode to enjoy this hobby. If that’s enjoyment...? I’ve seen sooooo many crashes it’s ridicules. A rudder, oh, you mean that thing that steers it on the ground... Several individuals in this bracket purchase airplanes based on two things, the biggest battery they own is a 3s and many lack good flying skills. The Commander and AT-6 from Eflite should have used a 4s system but instead catered to this crowd and offer 3s plus “Safe”... which equals sales and the company knows that. The low end crowd flies on the venerable 2200mAh 3s. In order to advance into anything bigger, you must upgrade not only your batteries but the charging systems and ultimately perhaps even invest in a generator. That’s pricey, $$$$. Of the regulars I fly with, only six of us own a generator as we have no power available at the park, so we bring our own. We then, have adapted to large 4s, 6s, 8s... This is probably a good thing as it keeps the “Safe” crowd on a short leash.

For me, bigger is better, the 1600mm warbirds are the perfect size for a single engine. I’d prefer the twins be scale to that and be larger indeed. I love my Tigercat and Lightning but wish they were bigger, flying on a 6s per engine.

My giant scale DH 82 flies on an 8s.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	110772
                            Very nice looking airplane there. I'm impressed, it looks to be balsa & plywood. Much to my desire of build on these models. Cheers! Matt ( no longer employed by MRC)

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                              I'd bite on a 1600 or 1700mm hellcat!
                              Right on Right on brother. :Cool:
                              Ever since FMS discontinued the 1400 :Angry:there has been a big gaping hole. I still have mine and it got a lot of attention when I flew it @ eWEEK.
                              The cats across the board all have great flight characteristics. ;)
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Freewing is considering to discontinue the B-17. It has been out for 8 years now. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Right on Right on brother. :Cool:
                                  Ever since FMS discontinued the 1400 :Angry:there has been a big gaping hole. I still have mine and it got a lot of attention when I flew it @ eWEEK.
                                  The cats across the board all have great flight characteristics. ;)
                                  You're right about the flight characteristics. Even the Wildcat from Banana Flies great.

Comment

OK, regarding simulators......did that 10-20 years ago. That's not what we're talking about.

Agreed with what was said about the 3S eflite planes. Most people I know that buy them, it's their 1st or 2nd plane, and they bought it because they want to fly RC, and they get sparkly-eyed about the warbird at a good price in their local hobby store. Been there, done that. But after a while, most of us become enthusiasts who want a bit more out of a plane. That's a market for a certain group of park flyers, and it's not really an option for the people on this site (I don't think).

Not really sure about the market for the big bombers. I belong to a club with a lot of guys who spend a lot of money on planes from Motion and others, and I'll bet no one gets one of those. One guy has one of the B-17s from a couple of years ago, but he never flies it any more....because IT'S BORING !!! And, it's a pain in the rear end to haul around just for a few passes around the field. Now. a B-29 may be a game changer....but I don't know. Dropping $400-500 on something that you can't fly all that much and do much with seems extravagant to me.

Guys want to fly scale, in formation or do aerobatics. 1500-1600mm warbirds do that best for the price and complexity.

Just hoping. Y'all with me?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                      Dude i dont know how you get away with shamelessly plugging those sims all the time.
                                      Heck I also do Plugins for RC airplanes on Simulator and Military news sites. And when I do I always reference models that are sold by MotionRC.
                                      If your a diehard aviation fan you just can't be limited to one aspect of aviation. It is the same with my love for cars. I started with simple video games as a kid then to my first car, then to racing simulators then to buying my first sporty car and modifying it then taking it to the race track to be instructed on how to do properly race it on a track . Oh and for a while I was also into RC nitro cars which I still have. The more you are experienced on different aspects the better educated Pilot or Diver you are.
                                      My next goal is to get my pilots license. And the number one thing on my bucket list is to get to experience flying in some type of fighter jet. Which I have being eyeing doing in either the A4 or the F4 Phantom that the Collins foundation has.

Comment

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                                        OK, regarding simulators......did that 10-20 years ago. That's not what we're talking about.

thanks

Simulators have come a long ways in just the last 4 years with more powerful computers and better programing.
                                        I had mentioned simulators because its the one thing that has opened me up to considering other RC airplane models based on their flight dynamic merits more than just looks.
                                        I had bought a T-28 reluctantly because I needed something better as a next step up from my trainer airplanes that I used to learn to fly with.
                                        I bought the Trojan only because the price was right and I kept reading good things about T-28's. Now its my favorite airplane and I see it in a new light after experiencing it for myself.

I also agree that there needs to be more larger 1600mm warbirds of the most popular models like a BF-109 or Hellcat to start with.

Comment

Working...
                                        X