Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A kind RCG user sold me his hobbyking retracts at the listed cost since HK has been out of stock forever with those units. Moving forward now and knocking out the servo wiring.

Comment

Dirty Dee,

Questions from someone extremely interested in 3D printing but knows nothing about it:

What happens to a 3D printed plane when it crashes? Does it bounce and maybe crack or does it break in a bunch of small pieces like glass?

People talk about reprinting replacement parts for a crashed 3D printed plane, but as they are glued together in sections, how can you unglue the sections to replace a broken part?

3D printed planes have sort of a hazy, rough surface finish from the buildup of layers. Are they easily sandable to obtain a smooth surface finish?

I see a lot of people fly the plane as printed and dont paint it. Do they take spraypaint well?

I notice all of the 3D printed planes have a printed/opaque canopy. Why don't they make models without the canopy and you could just buy an existing one and modify to fit? Can you cut out the canopy and do it yourself or is the printed canopy structural?

Thanks for answering noob questions
      Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Originally posted by vdanger View Post
        What happens to a 3D printed plane when it crashes? Does it bounce and maybe crack or does it break in a bunch of small pieces like glass?
        Really depends on the type of crash, but it usually splits and cracks. I suggest checking out the 3d printed planes subforum on Rcgroups since there is a lot of activity there work pictures and user experiences . Facebook has a pretty active group as well

People talk about reprinting replacement parts for a crashed 3D printed plane, but as they are glued together in sections, how can you unglue the sections to replace a broken part?
        most have used a sharp blade and cleaned up the joints as best as possible. Worst case, just reprint the whole wing, fuselage, etc, but this will get more tedious with the larger planes.

3D printed planes have sort of a hazy, rough surface finish from the buildup of layers. Are they easily sandable to obtain a smooth surface finish?
        PLA isn't the best with sanding, but I've seen several people refinish their planes with great results. Great examples on the Facebook group and RCG.

I see a lot of people fly the plane as printed and dont paint it. Do they take spraypaint well?
        It takes paint well, check out RCG or Facebook groups for example.

I notice all of the 3D printed planes have a printed/opaque canopy. Why don't they make models without the canopy and you could just buy an existing one and modify to fit? Can you cut out the canopy and do it yourself or is the printed canopy structural?
        This is more of a question to the designer, but it would mean limiting their designs to planes already available, as well as size. Less opportunities to try unique topics or different sizes. People have used these canopies as plugs and vacuum formed their own clear canopies.

Comment

Dirty Dee,

Thanks for answering my questions. Like I said, I'm very interested in this and trying to decide if its something I'd like to do.

I'll check out the forums you recommend.

One last question if you don't mind.

Can a person buy a quality printer, buy the model from 3D labprint, put the file on an SD card, stick it in the printer and make a plane? Or is it more involved then that, I.E. do you have to manipulate the files in your computer in some way?

Again, Thanks, Vance
          Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Hey Vance,

short answer, yes.

check out post #3 in this thread for the long answer:

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
              Hey Vance,

short answer, yes.

check out post #3 in this thread for the long answer:
              https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...ial-3dp-thread
              Dirty Dee,

Again Thanks.

Vance

Comment

wow, I like that allot I want to build the big spitfire that would be great.

Comment

wow, I like that allot I want to build the big spitfire that would be great.

Comment

Yea, their larger spitfire looks great. Now if only they can work on expanding their jet product line :Cool:.

Been slowly chipping away at the MiG the past week. All control surface servos are glued in and linkages installed. the 100A ESC I ordered from Hobby King finally arrived after some long delays from their recent sale. 3DLabPrint included this ESC tray to mount the ESC on top of the EDF, and cooling provided by a intake they modeled into the intake splitter. I am not too sure if this will be enough cooling, and considering just mounting it behind the fan. Might cause issues with CoG so something I need to consider.

On the topic of batteries, they recommend 2 3S 2400mAH LiPos in series to get 6S 2400mAH. I'm not a big fan of this idea since both batteries will be seeing the full current value (upwards of 100A) and required very high C ratings.

Instead, I was considering maybe using 4x1400-1800 3S packs to get 2800-3600mAH at 6S. These size packs would work with the new freewing parkjet models so they might be a better purchase. This way, I can have 2 pairs in series so each side is 6S, then parallel them. This way the current across the packs will be halved (50A max instead of 100A) and not requiring a massive C rating. This could be a little messy with the wiring and plugs.

Another option I was thinking about was to get 2x~1500mAH 6S packs. Again, lower C packs since they will be paralleled.

(Click pictures for captions)

Comment

Really looking good DD :Cool:

Comment

Thanks! Should be on track to have to ready for Jet Jam

Comment

A little more progress. Printed the wheel hubs and nose wheel pull-pull arm for the strut. The pull-pull arm wasn't very strong in PLA so I instead printed in ABS.

Comment

Got all the markings applied to the plane. I swear I am not a drunk!:)

3D printed tires with TPU filaments turned out pretty nice as well. I'll need to paint the oleos white still to finish off the look.

Comment

That thing is amazing. A lot of hours printing right there.

Comment

Thanks. I'm a little bit worried about the maiden flight since I've seen two videos of planes breaking mid-flight. From discussions the two biggest problems is pushing the airframe too hard and the print coming out "light".

My airframe is heavier than spec's and my powerplant isn't too powerful so shouldn't be an issue, but the chance is always there.

Comment

Awesome job!!!!!! Very cool and good luck on the maiden!! :Cool:

Comment

Finished the last of the electronics. I had to melt away a bit of the electronics tray and battery bays to fit the 3300mAH packs. Just need to pick up some ferrules for the nose steering and set control throws.

AUW 2983g

Comment

Successful Maiden with my Stoli MiG!

Had a bit of a bounce on the landing and broke the nose gear pin. Lots of reports of this happening as the pin is made from weak cast metal, so only got one flight in today.

In-flight video. Sorry about the vertical orientation.

Comment

Working...
                                      X