X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best T-28 foam model?

I am wanting to get a nice sized foam T-28, and there are several out there that look good. The ones I am looking at are the Carbon Z 2m T-28 from Horizon, followed by their 1.2m version, and finally, the FMS 1400 version. I really like the new yellow version with the working suspension. I know the big HH CZ version doesn't have a lot of the newer features like navigation lights and suspension struts, but it is an impressive bird. The FMS is a really nice size, fully updated with the version 4, but many of the reviews are less than stellar for this one.

So who has which ones, and if anyone out there has all three, how do you think they compare?

Thanks in advance!

I have all of them listed and the parkzone also, Any one of them would work for what you're looking for. R.
    AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier View Post
      I am wanting to get a nice sized foam T-28, and there are several out there that look good. The ones I am looking at are the Carbon Z 2m T-28 from Horizon, followed by their 1.2m version, and finally, the FMS 1400 version. I really like the new yellow version with the working suspension. I know the big HH CZ version doesn't have a lot of the newer features like navigation lights and suspension struts, but it is an impressive bird. The FMS is a really nice size, fully updated with the version 4, but many of the reviews are less than stellar for this one.

So who has which ones, and if anyone out there has all three, how do you think they compare?

Thanks in advance!
      I just picked up a Dynam, the grey one from a friend for 50 bucks. New in the box (may be the last Dynam model I ever purchase). But to their credit I have heard no complaints about the retracts not working, and the plane has had favorable reviews. Motion sales this model, it looks great, (with the Navy Grey paint) and is under $200.00 with free shipping. Others to me were crazy expensive, lol. If I spend over 300 bucks on a plane it's going to be a Freewing A-4, not a T-28. No insult intended mate.

I just couldn't get into the E-flights. They make good planes, I just hate that they don't paint the white foam on these models. I also don't like huge models, unless it's something I really like. In regards to the T-28's I think they all fly pretty good.

Ya know, I missed the nice sized part. Yea if you want a big one, I think the yellow FMS looks great.

Best Regards
      Woody

PS hey Handy o/

Comment

Hey Woodcock;)
        AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

I just picked up a Dynam, the grey one from a friend for 50 bucks. New in the box (may be the last Dynam model I ever purchase). But to their credit I have heard no complaints about the retracts not working, and the plane has had favorable reviews. Motion sales this model, it looks great, (with the Navy Grey paint) and is under $200.00 with free shipping. Others to me were crazy expensive, lol. If I spend over 300 bucks on a plane it's going to be a Freewing A-4, not a T-28. No insult intended mate.

I just couldn't get into the E-flights. They make good planes, I just hate that they don't paint the white foam on these models. I also don't like huge models, unless it's something I really like. In regards to the T-28's I think they all fly pretty good.

Ya know, I missed the nice sized part. Yea if you want a big one, I think the yellow FMS looks great.

Best Regards
          Woody

PS hey Handy o/
          Caution. Alter the battery retaining system. The velcro sticky back came loose on mine and it ejected the battery (and canopy) in an outside loop.
          The ESC powered the RX via the prop windmilling for a safe landing...

I cut holes to pass velcro strap down into the nose-gear retract bay, then back up so now there's a strap all the way around the battery that would have to rip out a huge chunk of foam for the battery to get loose again.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I have the 2.0m Eflite T-28. I've always believed that bigger is better when it comes to flying characteristics. There are many T-28s at the fields I fly, all of the others being the smaller ones. They are cheaper to buy, easier to repair. However, the big one flies so well, that I've yet to need to repair it due to crashes and believe me, all the other smaller ones crash a lot. Ultimately, it's what you can justify for cost and what is best for you. Storing/transporting a big plane becomes another factor that must be weighed.

Comment

I thought long and hard about the Dynam T-28 as it was gray, similar to USAF version which no one offers anymore. Just could not get past the negative stigma of the manufacturer. As it turns out, with perhaps Lemon or Admiral RX / gyro it might have been a good choice. While I do like flying my T-6, it hasn’t quite been the quality I expected - I almost sent it back before I flew it. And, to the suppliers credit they are sending free replacement parts.
              It was a choice between a T-6 and T-28, as Dad was an Instructor in both, and I guess in retrospect since he was in Korea and possibly with the Mosquitos (we don’t know for certain, but considering his documents he would have been operating in such a capacity) The Texan won the vote.
              The white foam was definitely a turn off and it seemed the Trojan was everywhere.

In honor of all those Fathers who have journeyed Forward.

Comment

I've got the CZ T28 and love it, it is so smooth it pretty much flys itself.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                  I thought long and hard about the Dynam T-28 as it was gray, similar to USAF version which no one offers anymore. Just could not get past the negative stigma of the manufacturer. As it turns out, with perhaps Lemon or Admiral RX / gyro it might have been a good choice. While I do like flying my T-6, it hasn’t quite been the quality I expected - I almost sent it back before I flew it. And, to the suppliers credit they are sending free replacement parts.
                  It was a choice between a T-6 and T-28, as Dad was an Instructor in both, and I guess in retrospect since he was in Korea and possibly with the Mosquitos (we don’t know for certain, but considering his documents he would have been operating in such a capacity) The Texan won the vote.
                  The white foam was definitely a turn off and it seemed the Trojan was everywhere.

In honor of all those Fathers who have journeyed Forward.
                  Ya know, I was looking at some forum today, and they were just railing on HK. Talking about cheap servos, failing servos, and warning everyone not to purchase anything from the HK, because they just sell junk. Funny thing I own 7 HK Durifly planes and love every single one of them. Are they perfect? Na don't go kid your self. I've also flew them all with stock servos, and never had a single problem.

As to Dynam, My only serious complaint is my Dynam Corsair, retracts were bad out of the box. Bought a nice new pair of E-flights from motion, fitted them wala. In my opinion E-flight retracts are second to none. But my nice new E-flight P-47 Razerback had a loose control rod housing that ran thru the fuselage right out of the box. Additionally the clevises are junk. Dynam actually uses much better control clevises than E-flight, just saying. Also my Dynam Corsair by far, had a much better paint job than any of my E-flight models. So did this stuff make me hate E-flight? Naa, no ones perfect, not even E-flight.

As to whether I like Dynam? They make some good looking planes man, at an exceptional price point. I'm a bargain shopper when it comes to buying these things some times. I'm pretty sure Dynam knows that if they don't change there ways in regards to the retracts their not long for the business. Additionally I red where some guy bought a Freewing Stinger, and turned it into foam confetti the first time out. He sighted Motion Freewing piece of junk. Well I will assume we all know the Freewing models aren't what I would consider pieces of junk in the slightest.

My point being, it really all depends on who gets it, and their ability to build it, flag potential problems, correct them, and take it to the air. Some models have more problems than others. But never forget, they may be model aircraft, but there still aircraft. Pre flight inspections, and adjustments are necessary and mandatory.

Best Regards
                  Woody

PS hey Rifelman, CZ T-28 ????

Comment

...and they all have an expiration date.
                    I have to admit the only reason I got a foamie was to spend more time flying instead of building - and I love building, but I don’t like crashing and figured I would get a knock around easy flier to retrain my thumb and brain connections.
                    But I have been noticing exactly what you are saying - knowledge, ability and experience will go a long way toward keeping a craft airworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                      ...and they all have an expiration date.
                      I have to admit the only reason I got a foamie was to spend more time flying instead of building - and I love building, but I don’t like crashing and figured I would get a knock around easy flier to retrain my thumb and brain connections.
                      But I have been noticing exactly what you are saying - knowledge, ability and experience will go a long way toward keeping a craft airworthy.
                      My brotha, I'm with ya. One of things I like the most is just being able to purchase a finished model out of the box. The unfortunate fact is back in my build days, (Way Back) spending 1/2 a year to a year to build a beautiful scale flying model. I formed a pretty strong emotional attachment to these things.
                      When I was 23 I built a beautiful Jet Hanger Hobbies F-14 Tomcat. My crowning achievement in building actually. Completely destroyed it first time out. I set it on fire. I left the hobby for 40 years. Now if I crash one, I can just go buy a new one. I love it.

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

My brotha, I'm with ya. One of things I like the most is just being able to purchase a finished model out of the box. The unfortunate fact is back in my build days, (Way Back) spending 1/2 a year to a year to build a beautiful scale flying model. I formed a pretty strong emotional attachment to these things.
                        When I was 23 I built a beautiful Jet Hanger Hobbies F-14 Tomcat. My crowning achievement in building actually. Completely destroyed it first time out. I set it on fire. I left the hobby for 40 years. Now if I crash one, I can just go buy a new one. I love it.

Woody
                        Amen! You sound like the experiences I remember with putting all that time and effort into building, getting attached to it, and then I either wouldn't fly it because I didn't want to destroy it, or I did fly it and crashed it sooner or later. I love these foamies that look great and fly great, and they are so much more affordable than they were 30-40 years ago!

Comment

Use foam-tac to hold down your Velcro and you will never have another failure, I do it on all of mine and got others to do it at the field and they are now true believers as to the power of foam-tac. R.
                          AMA 424553

Comment

I've also been considering the FMS T-28 also as well as the eFlite At-6 because I like the size. Although I haven't made up my mind, I'm leaning toward the AT-6 simply because of the numerous complaints in reviews and forums regarding front landing gear failure on the T-28.

Comment

Originally posted by ICM View Post
                              I've also been considering the FMS T-28 also as well as the eFlite At-6 because I like the size. Although I haven't made up my mind, I'm leaning toward the AT-6 simply because of the numerous complaints in reviews and forums regarding front landing gear failure on the T-28.
                              Would like to suggest that a majority of those are most likely from less skilled pilots.
                              Have had my FMS v3 T-28 for 4 years & with oleo struts for 2 years/50+ sorties from turf without incidence.
                              It's an awesome plane so don't let the naysayers dissuade you.;)
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Would like to suggest that a majority of those are most likely from less skilled pilots.
                                  Have had my FMS v3 T-28 for 4 years & with oleo struts for 2 years/50+ sorties from turf without incidence.
                                  It's an awesome plane so don't let the naysayers dissuade you.;)
                                  Are the new V4 oleo suspension struts directly replaceable into the V3 planes?

Comment

I have a Dynam T-28 and it has been a great flier. The only cons are the retracts. The front one would keep bending if it was landed a little hard but I remedied the problem by replacing it with shock absorbing strut from Hobby King.
                                    The rear retracts fair well with just replacing the tires with softer Dave Brown tires. The only issue with them was getting them aligned but by filing in the notch on the strut were the grub screw rests with a filler remedied the issue.
                                    One good thing about the Dynam version is that its fairly easy to install navigation lights because they already come set up with lights so its just a matter of replacing the weak stock set with a better set.
                                    Another Pro is that it can handle 4S batteries just fine by just upgrading the ESC.

My T-28 was originally the grey model but I just recently finished painting it red and white because of a crash due to always had struggled to track its orientation in the air.
                                    I just had to paint the fuselage and vertical stabilizer and bought new white and red wings, nose, canopy and elevator since they were all damaged anyways. And I used the graphic set from the E-flite T-28.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                                      I have a Dynam T-28 and it has been a great flier. The only cons are the retracts. The front one would keep bending if it was landed a little hard but I remedied the problem by replacing it with shock absorbing strut from Hobby King.
                                      The rear retracts fair well with just replacing the tires with softer Dave Brown tires. The only issue with them was getting them aligned but by filing in the notch on the strut were the grub screw rests with a filler remedied the issue.
                                      One good thing about the Dynam version is that its fairly easy to install navigation lights because they already come set up with lights so its just a matter of replacing the weak stock set with a better set.
                                      Another Pro is that it can handle 4S batteries just fine by just upgrading the ESC.

My T-28 was originally the grey model but I just recently finished painting it red and white because of a crash due to always had struggled to track its orientation in the air.
                                      I just had to paint the fuselage and vertical stabilizer and bought new white and red wings, nose, canopy and elevator since they were all damaged anyways. And I used the graphic set from the E-flite T-28.
                                      Nice plane Evo. Ya know I can't think of any of these that don't bend the nose wheel occasionally. Except maybe the, "Park Zone". But that one is pretty small. my friend has about every one ever made, he loves em. But he complains about the nose wheel on every single one of them. I'll mention this fix to him.

Best Regards
                                      Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier View Post

Are the new V4 oleo suspension struts directly replaceable into the V3 planes?
                                        Not direct replacements.
                                        If memory serves me correctly, the nose gear bolts in fine but the mains need a little V notch relief in the strut/wheel well for the scissor link.
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                        X